Author Topic: YSU wins  (Read 33175 times)

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU wins
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 04:26:37 PM »
Defense and special teams just terrible. We had one bad series of offensive play calls & the game did not go to 28-7 ...which I though it would. It was deep & we never should have went for it. Momentum shifted badly toward UNI & it was an offensive showdown from there out. That being said, I will take a win over UNI any way I can get it. Too late to make any specifics, but congrats to the fans. What a turnout with perhaps the worst weather in a long time ...just wonderful. Yes, a legit 20k today folks. Did you see how UNI actually had fouls called against them today? I do not think I have ever seen that before. Although I hate them  ...thanks ESPN, the refs had to call it.

ps: we mauled that guy on the last play, but he had already pushed-off. Great to see the call go our way!!
1-AA--p.s.--you're nuts regarding that last play. Receiver was not "mauled". Clean break-up. Watch the replay.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 04:46:25 PM »
Good game! We won the fourth quarter in tight games good teams do that.  Our secondary and coverage on crossing patterns are still suspect.  #8 was horrible for three quarters and he made up for it in the 4th. He is still the weakest link on the defense and he will be tested.  IMO he is a nickel back playing safety. Northern Iowa will be a force next year they are very young...We didnt blitz much and there frosh QB picked us apart .
Hess is a stud.  Best i have ever seen and that one fourth down play was a thing of beauty.  We have a good team but our pass D will be the achilles heal.   Even so we are a playoff team,  With that we have a shot for a fifth ring.  Wolford was worth the money last night Go YSU!!!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »
Last play that Northern ran, they got called for an illegal pick. Watched replay and i thought the play was clean as well. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 05:26:20 PM »
Good game! We won the fourth quarter in tight games good teams do that.  Our secondary and coverage on crossing patterns are still suspect.  #8 was horrible for three quarters and he made up for it in the 4th. He is still the weakest link on the defense and he will be tested.  IMO he is a nickel back playing safety. Northern Iowa will be a force next year they are very young...We didnt blitz much and there frosh QB picked us apart .
Hess is a stud.  Best i have ever seen and that one fourth down play was a thing of beauty.  We have a good team but our pass D will be the achilles heal.   Even so we are a playoff team,  With that we have a shot for a fifth ring.  Wolford was worth the money last night Go YSU!!!

#8 was not horrible for 3 quarters. Thought he played his best game as a Penguin. He was there on every deep ball to break it up. Great game for him

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 06:05:26 PM »
I agree about #8, it was probably his best game yet. 

I watched the replay and I couldn't tell because of the camera but when we got the INT it looked like we were in man coverage.  Could anyone tell?

Offline Owlguin

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 06:57:26 PM »
Couldn't tell about the interference call on the last play, but there was clearly 1 second left when the ball hit the ground.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 07:57:33 PM »
Waterloo / Cedar Falls paper game story

•  By JIM SULLIVAN, jim.sullivan@wcfcourier.com(0) Comments
Related Video

Video: Northern Iowa v Youngstown State

Related Galleries

Photos: UNI v Youngstown State Sept. 22, 2012

YOUNGSTOWN, Ohio — Northern Iowa’s dominance of Youngstown State stretched to the beginning of the century.

The streak ended in just a few heartbreaking hours Saturday night.

UNI lost to the Penguins for the first time since the 2000 season Saturday night. That 11-game string ended with a 42-35 defeat at Stambaugh Stadium.

“You know it’s a tough loss,” said UNI wide receiver Chad Owens, a key man in the Panther offense.

“It was our first conference game, and we wanted to come out and get this first one against a very good Youngstown State team, but we’re just gonna bounce back.”

This Missouri Valley Football Conference opener was delayed 45 minutes by a severe thunderstorm. Then it went right down to the final play.

With UNI at the YSU 11 and 5 seconds to go, quarterback Sawyer Kollmorgen tried to hit Brett LeMaster in the end zone. The pass was incomplete, and UNI drew an offensive interference call on the play.

Later, Panther head coach Mark Farley said he was still mystified by the last play. He originally thought 1 second would remain on the clock, but the game ended with that Kollmorgen pass and the penalty.

“I’m still waiting to find out what the penalty was,” said Farley. “Who was the pass interference on?”

Farley added, “You’d think they’d indicate who the penalty was on. (The officials) were holding up (indicating) one second on the clock. I was just waiting to figure out who the penalty was on. Still am.”

So ended an offensive free-for-all, and a wild finish that featured a fourth quarter comeback by Youngstown State. Then again, UNI’s last two wins over the Penguins came down to the final minutes.

Trailing, 35-28, the Penguins scored twice in the final 7 minutes, 7 seconds of play. Torrian Pace ran a yard for the tying touchdown, then Christian Bryan caught a 26-yard TD strike from Kurt Hess for the go-ahead score with 1:50 to go.

Hess threw four TD strikes and hit 20 of 28 passes for 290 yards.

Farley also pointed to the Penguins’ ability to pick up vital first downs. YSU converted 2 of 3 chances on fourth down and went 9-for-15 on third.

One such key play came on Youngstown State’s tying touchdown drive. Hess, facing a fourth-and-4, connected with tight end Will Shaw for 26 yards to the UNI 3. Pace scored two snaps later.

“They’re a good football team,” said Farley. “The quarterback did a great job for them today. They hit those fourth-down plays and those were the difference in the game.”

For UNI, David Johnson enjoyed a spectacular night. The sophomore running back scored four touchdowns, two rushing and a pair receiving. He gained 84 yards on the ground and caught a half-dozen Sawyer Kollmorgen passes for another 76.

Kollmorgen was 20 of 28 through the air. He connected for 3 scores - to Johnson for 5 and 48 yards and to Terrell Sinkfield for 32.

UNI rallied from a 21-7 first-half deficit. The Panthers overcame nine penalties in the opening 30 minutes to take the lead twice in the final half. But they are now 1-3 to start the season for the first time since 2004.

UNI played Saturday without several injured regulars. Linebackers Zach Cutkomp and Max Busher did not suit up. Neither did cornerback J.J. Swain, and wide receiver Kevin Vereen also missed the game.

Linebacker Jordan Gacke, who was hurt twice in the loss at Iowa, started. Defensive back Blake White also returned to the field after being injured early in the year. Tackle Mac O’Brien came back after being helped off the field in the opening half.

Yet UNI battled to the end.

Said Gacke, “Any player on our team — they’re just as tough. They’re gonna give up anything they have for the Panthers to try and get the W.”

http://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/uni/football/panthers-lose-heartbreaker-to-penguins/article_47902256-04bd-11e2-a2e6-0019bb2963f4.html

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2012, 08:45:54 PM »
“I’m still waiting to find out what the penalty was,” said Farley. “Who was the pass interference on?”
We're still waiting on an explanation of the blocked field that was nulified in 2004, and the touchdown called back at the end of the game in 2006.  Join the club, coach.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 09:26:24 PM »
We're still waiting on an explanation of the blocked field that was nulified in 2004, and the touchdown called back at the end of the game in 2006.  Join the club, coach.

good one
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »

I still have nightmares about that  blocked kick. We rushed 2 & it was perfect. They claimed that the first man through blocked the kick, and the second man made contact with the kicker. They went on the say that the rules stated that the man who touched the ball first must be the one that touches the kicker first. The replay shows that both players touched the ball prior to the kicker ...so it matches the definition of the rule. Heacock argued that the kicker was fair game the instant the ball was touched by the second player.

Offline pennyguin1

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 11:37:14 PM »
Hey a win is a win. It is nice to be on the winning end of a call.

Offline pioneer9

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
Referring to Coach Farleys' comment: 
The more and more football games you see, the more and more you realize 'hey, that happens.'  Honestly, there are calls in any close game, ranging from 5-yard offsides plays to 15-yard facemasks that throw the momentum and have the potential to lead to entirely different outcome.  YSU could say the same for the holding call on Cook's big run in the 2nd (get a TD on that drive and we go into half leading 28-7).  I don't know if he's making a big deal about it or not.  If he is, come on coach... you're too reputable for that kind of stuff.  If not, props to him.

As for the game, saw great strides in a lot of places.  I knew coming into this game that Hess would have to be a difference maker in this game.  Heard so much about Cook and how he would matchup and he'd have to be our playmaker (which he did make a lot of plays).  But, ultimately, Hess was the make it or break it guy for the Quins on Saturday.  Always knew he was a great quarterback with tons of skill.  Now I can safely say he's a game-changer who needs the ball when the games on the line.

Also, definite shout-out to Delisio (Safety #8) for his play on Saturday.  Had a great 1st, 2nd and late 4th Quarter.  During the Albany game, he looked a little confused out there and didn't seem to have the confidence necessary to play the safety position.  Different story on Saturday.  There is still a TON of work that needs done on the D-line for YSU (saw maybe 5 plays where there was anything even resembling a good pass rush) and some holes in the secondary, but overall liked how they made plays when it mattered most.

Might be too soon to be looking two weeks ahead but can't wait for the game against NDSU.  QB Brock Jensen is EFFICIENT, averaging 200 yds/game with 7 TDs and O INT.  Hope we can fix some of the defensive weaknesses seen Saturday before that game. Let's keep it up Penguins!

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 09:36:47 AM »

THE WIN
Love it!  I was in the front row on the east side of the stadium, the day of that kick.  It has been a haunting vision that replays in my mind all too often.  This game was setting up to be so similar to too many of the previous ones versus UNI, taking the lead early, only to give up a score before half that motivates UNI.  I am very proud of our coaching staff and team.  They fought hard, and I love the calls that they made on fourth down. 

OUR DEFENSE
Our secondary looked better than previous games, but I felt uneasy on every deep ball being thrown.  Afew were deflected, yet others had the potential to give up a score but were barely overthrown or dropped.  We are still suspect to giving up a big play on crossing routes.  I am happy with the bend-don't break defense, however, we are still too fragile.  I believe in the staff and players and believe that we will see positive development throughout the season.  This is a very tough UNI team, with a QB who may be their best in years.  The film from this game will be a great tool!

OUR OFFENSE
We put ourselves in great position for 3rd downs.  Hence, 9-15 and 2-3 on fourth.  (Compared to 4-11 and 2-2 for UNI).  I think Hess has been mightily praise here, so no additional discussion is needed.  I could see that Cooke was getting tired at times.  He played great, however I would love to see him get just a little more rest when we take on long drives.  Our OL continues to show up and provide for our highlight performances.

OUTSIDE THE LINES of the field remains our melting pot of a fan base.  From students to seniors, and everywhere in between.  I was impressed with how many people stayed through the rain and made it in to lend their support and enjoy such a battle.  However, I continue to be fed up with those who watch the game from their seats and are annoyed by the fans who stand and cheer.  I sat next to some recent football alums who were chastised for standing up during a 3rd down.  It’s the one thing our coach asks for and as loud as it was at times, it could have been louder.  I know coach wants the opponents 0-11 on 3rd down, and that 4-11 may be considered okay to outsiders.  But 3-11 could have opened up a wider Penguin margin, and my heart wouldn't have ached so much.

Z

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 09:52:17 AM »
I agree about #8, it was probably his best game yet. 

I watched the replay and I couldn't tell because of the camera but when we got the INT it looked like we were in man coverage.  Could anyone tell?
If that was his best game, he has a long way to go! 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 02:24:32 PM »
 >:( I'm sick of hearing the "pass defense is the Achilles heel of this team" !! Even the Baltimore Ravens has trouble stopping people/pass. The game has changed and it will be very rare that someone totally shuts down anyone. Unless you're playing a dog LOL!! Bottom line give the other team some credit UNI is a good football team and the QB is going to be a nightmare the rest of his career for opposing "D"s.  :o