Author Topic: Beeghly Center  (Read 12544 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Beeghly Center
« on: January 10, 2020, 07:54:03 PM »
I know efforts have been made in the last 10 years to improve the Beeghly Center but the facility is soooo dated its embarrassing for the year 2020.  I watched the highlight of Q's coast-to-coast lay-up and was like WOW.  Someone (possibly the AD, isn't that his job) needs to focus on a capital campaign to make noticeable changes and updates to the facility. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Beeghly Center
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 08:52:07 PM »
I've said that for years. Doubt anything major happens unless Calhoun and Co can seriously contend for NCAA Tourney bids.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 11:44:48 PM »
You would not have to do anything too drastic to dramatically improve that facility.  Just take out ALL the portable bleachers on the lower and upper levels and install permanent, theater-style seating.  That facility was constructed as an all-purpose center, the only place for indoor phys ed classes and intramurals in 1972. Today, with the Watts, the Rec center, and the 100 yard long gym under the seating in Stambaugh,  all phys ed and intramurals can easily be accommodated without using the Beeghly gym floor or the side decks. Sure, installing permanent seating would cost lots of money, but it is not as if you needed to replace the roof and all the support beams.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 06:56:00 AM »
With serious budget problems facing the university, I doubt very much YSU can justify spending $$ renovating the basketball court. Unless the MBB and WBB are making $$.
I think our best hope is for JT to get a donor to fund the project just as the (media center) on the East side of the football field.
Currently, I haven’t seen any evidences that people are not attending the MBB games because of the facility. Heck, we used to pack the South high field house when we were d2.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 09:24:46 AM »
The bleachers have to go definitely.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:26:42 AM »
I agree with ET that this project only gets done by private donors.  Here is the problem.  We had 29 loges in the stadium, yet it was not enough to satisfy demand.  So we were able to construct more.  Conversely, the two middle sections of red seats in Beeghly are reserved for Penguin Club members, although some choose to sit on the flanks.  Those middle sections are never more than half-filled and usually much less than that.  How many Penguin Club members go to basketball games on a regular basis?  75? perhaps 100?  Good luck getting the donor class to finance a renovation project that will benefit a sport about which they have little interest.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 05:17:35 PM »

Currently, I haven’t seen any evidences that people are not attending the MBB games because of the facility. Heck, we used to pack the South high field house when we were d2.

It is all about winning, people will sit on 5gal buckets if we were winning 25 games a year, We won more in D2.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 05:19:33 PM »

I agree and replace with nice size chair back seats. Was at a game 2 weeks ago and there is just no leg room.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »

I agree and replace with nice size chair back seats. Was at a game 2 weeks ago and there is just no leg room.

I was always up at the cheap seats. There are plenty of leg room and space. Lol

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2020, 10:41:41 AM »
With serious budget problems facing the university, I doubt very much YSU can justify spending $$ renovating the basketball court. Unless the MBB and WBB are making $$.
I think our best hope is for JT to get a donor to fund the project just as the (media center) on the East side of the football field.
I remember taking to a warden of a Church about handicap accessibility when he had none, and he said he didn't need it, they didn't have any handicap attending the Church.  That is exactly the thought process you are demonstrating in your post.  We NEED updated seating, just like theaters you went to as a kid don't measure up any longer!  Times change, Beeghly needs to change too!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2020, 10:18:45 PM »
Don't know how or if it could get done structurally with the current building but would be nice to eliminate all the bleacher seating and replace with chair backs and make the whole upper level walkable 360 degrees with the concourse.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2020, 10:37:24 AM »
Don't know how or if it could get done structurally with the current building but would be nice to eliminate all the bleacher seating and replace with chair backs and make the whole upper level walkable 360 degrees with the concourse.
I'd be skeptical of the 360 degree walk aspect as you are changing the structure substantially, but permanent theater seating would be a GREAT addition (not the new theater seating with power recliners!)  That is reasonable expense with out significant structural work.  Hope some administrator (JT) picks up and runs with this!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »
It's like a Time Warp when you enter beeghly Center. The actual basketball court looks great in modern but the surroundings as we all know our bit outdated. What's funny is the lobby has been remodeled and looks great. Why wouldn't they do inside the arena before the lobby? Hopefully something is done with beeghly Center in next few years. An updated or newer Arena would go a long way with recruiting.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 05:25:01 PM »
Could cut the capacity by a couple thousand and it would be perfect.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 06:20:01 PM »
Here is what I would like to see them do, if they could find the funds for removing all the bleachers.  Currently, there are 1200 red seats (10 rows of 60 chairs on each side.)  Install 800 theater style seats (8 rows of 50 seats on each side, more comfort and leg room.)  There are currently 23 rows (I think) of upper level bleachers on each side.  Reduce that to 18 rows of theater seats for 1800 capacity. Leave the end zone bleachers intact but glue on seat cushions.  Figure about 1400 seats total counting both end zones. You then have a modern-looking facility with 4000 seats, including 2600 theater seats.

That is more than enough.  Wright State is now drawing 3700 with a consistently winning program.