Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235771 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #375 on: December 16, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »
Hey power, I thought there was no way Bo was coming here? Lol ;)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 16, 2014, 12:52:15 PM »
Hey power, I thought there was no way Bo was coming here? Lol ;)

Didn't think it could happen.  Hopefully the plane doesn't crash.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #377 on: December 16, 2014, 12:55:23 PM »
Strollo is dumb. Strollo is stupid.  Strollo doesn't know what he is doing. Strollo hasn't done anything for this university. Should have fired Strollo when we fired Wolford. Those of you who think Strollo has done a good job as AD have no idea what you are talking about. ;)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #378 on: December 16, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »
I agree Strollo is a much better AD than some people give him credit for being. Having said that, Pelini has not won a single game yet at YSU. The jury is still out on whether this will be a great hire. Look at Akron with Terry Bowden. New Mexico with Bob Davie. Kansas with Charlie Weiss. OU is nothing special with Frank Solich. Better than before Solich, but that is not saying much.

John Robinson was 28-42 at UNLV in 6 years, with ONE winning season, and one trip to a bowl game. And he is in the College Football Hall of Fame.

Earle Bruce went 5-6 in 1 season at UNI after being fired by OSU. He then went 22-24-1 in 4 seasons at Colorado State with 1 winning season. In 9 years at OSU, Bruce was 81-26-1, won 4 Big to Titles, had 6 seasons of 9-3, one of 10-3, one of 11-1 and was 6-5 in his final year. OSU went 5-3 in Bowl Games.

YSU is NOT an elite FCS program any longer. They are not even an elite team in the MVFC. Hopefully that will change with Pelini as HC, but there is no guarantee. And, after 9 years in the NFL, then 12 years at Nebraska, LSU and Oklahoma, this is going to be a HUGE drop in terms of facilities, budget, the way the team travels, size of crowds at games, quantity of equipment and many, many other things. Call me negative, call me a hater, call me what you wish. Just pointing out facts, and pointing out simply hiring Bo Pelini does not make YSU the favorite to win the MVFC next year, let alone the NC, yet alot of people will be expecting that level of success.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 16, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
I agree Strollo is a much better AD than some people give him credit for being. Having said that, Pelini has not won a single game yet at YSU. The jury is still out on whether this will be a great hire.

YSU is NOT an elite FCS program any longer. They are not even an elite team in the MVFC. Hopefully that will change with Pelini as HC, but there is no guarantee.

Call me negative, call me a hater, call me what you wish. Just pointing out facts, and pointing out simply hiring Bo Pelini does not make YSU the favorite to win the MVFC next year, let alone the NC, yet alot of people will be expecting that level of success.

I agree, but as much as I stated here that I didn't think he would come, I am happy he is the new HC
Happy because this should be the shot in the arm that the football program needs.  So in the meantime, lets support the decision and support the team.  Time will tell if Bo can get us back on track.  Heck, we could even welcome Pally back. j/k

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 16, 2014, 02:19:39 PM »
If two years ago, someone on this board would have said that in 2015 Jim Tressel was going to be university president, and Bo Pelini would be head coach, I would have asked the moderators too ban him and have him committed!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 16, 2014, 02:20:25 PM »
Hey!! When are all you guys that doubted me going to line up and kiss my a$$? I'm two for two.. Tressel to Ohio State and Pelini to YSU  fb
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 02:25:06 PM by ysubigred »

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 16, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »
Hey!! When are all you guys that doubted me going to line up and kiss my a$$? I'm two for two.. Tressel to Ohio State and Pelini to YSU  fb

I will say congratulations on being right.  Seems to be great hires for Youngstown State University.
I will also admit that I didn't believe either would happen.

As far as the rest of your post......grow up.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 16, 2014, 02:48:18 PM »

I will say congratulations on being right.  Seems to be great hires for Youngstown State University.
I will also admit that I didn't believe either would happen.

As far as the rest of your post......grow up.

Make me ...

Offline YSU_Penguins17

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 16, 2014, 03:17:05 PM »
What a home run hire by Strollo, a possible turning point for our program to get some excitement back. Understand he didn't win a championship at Nebraska but 9 wins in each of his seven seasons is really impressive. 9 wins at YSU and we're hosting a home game, maybe more. This just goes to show the old saying is true, there truly is no place like home. Welcome back, Coach Pelini and here's to many wins and hopes of getting #5.
"The Red and White are waving..."

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #385 on: December 16, 2014, 03:20:16 PM »
Any early reactions from media or players?

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 16, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »
Jeff Rotheram ‏@JRotheram_  · 2h2 hours ago 
Never thought I would have the opportunity to play for a guy like Bo Pelini. Can't wait for spring ball!

Ricky Davis ‏@YSURickyDavis  · 3h3 hours ago 
Bo Pelini is our head coach. Best Christmas gift we could've asked for.

Here are a couple.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 16, 2014, 03:35:45 PM »
Dana Balash ‏@DanaBalash21  · 2h2 hours ago 
@21WFMJSports I'm hearing phones at the YSU ticket office are ringing steady over the pending announcement of Bo Pelini

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 16, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »
I wonder how much he's getting paid...and who is footing the bill.  My first guess is way more than people will estimate, and if that guess is true, what will be the fallout?

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 16, 2014, 04:23:27 PM »
I wonder how much he's getting paid...and who is footing the bill.  My first guess is way more than people will estimate, and if that guess is true, what will be the fallout?

My guess is Nebraska is footing a large % of the bill.
I hope there is money left to get great assistant coaches.
Wonder if Bo can bring his D. Coordinator from Nebraska?