Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 235671 times)

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 16, 2014, 09:35:58 AM »
I'm curious as to what "details" people think needs 2 weeks to be worked out.  Once you get past the money (YSU's AD is an accountant, should be pretty simplistic)  what other details are left??  If there is a problem the problem is money.
It would be HIGHLY doubtful that this next coaches salary matches that of Wolford, with the current climate at YSU, (faculty vs. athletics) that would reflect quite poorly on Tressel.  That is the problem when gambling like they did with wolford, you jack the price up, that price becomes associated with your institution, now the job is open and you lower the price, that looks bad.  In an era of expanding football budgets, a coach does not want to see a contracting one.  Its like being in an arms race with a slingshot.  Findidng a suitable D1 coach who is smart enough to know their worth will be tough.  Unless your looking to turn the job into a stepping stone with soft, easy out contracts.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 16, 2014, 10:31:36 AM »
Observer - Good points!

I think the biggest selling point for Pelini (to we as fans) was the buyout clause in his Nebraska contract.  That would cover a variety of sins for the athletic department.
1. YSU could get a Lexus for the price of a Cobalt.  This would look good with the faculty/staff contracts and would allow resources for assistant coaches.  A very good core group of assistants would make finding the next coach much easier.
2. Pelini could establish himself as a successful coach and one that could build a program.
3. A big name head coach would [hopefully] generate interest among the fan base and media which could lead to more revenue.
4. A very successful coach would set future standards.

That said, it would be an enormous risk for Pelini to come to Youngstown as it could damage his future marketability into another big name program.  Added to the fact that in three years the Nebraska money would run out.

I would be surprised if Bo Pelini is the next head coach at YSU.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 10:37:25 AM by ScarletRook »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #362 on: December 16, 2014, 10:38:53 AM »
Which raises the question why isn't the issue resolved if Hood is the guy?

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 16, 2014, 10:40:06 AM »
If Bo Pelini does become the next head coach, realistically he can take next to nothing for his pay... correct?  Supposedly whatever he makes in his next job will just get supplemented and Nebraska will have to pay him less. So unless he finds a job making more money than he did in Nebraska (which will be tough to find for him), he's going to make about $150,000 per month for the next 51 months.  If YSU paid him a measly $5,000 per month, Nebraska will pay $145,000...

So money for Bo should not be an issue. He's basically working for free. 

Also, how long do we think he would stay?  I would guess 3 years, and then he'll take a job at a larger program.  His buyout money will be gone by then, and his kids can go to Mooney while he's coaching here. 

This is just stuff running thru my head, but correct me if I'm wrong here.  Bo can perhaps pay his assistants more considering YSU doesn't have to pay him much if at all.

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 16, 2014, 10:42:09 AM »

That said, it would be an enormous risk for Pelini to come to Youngstown as it could damage his future marketability into another big name program.  Added to the fact that in three years the Nebraska money would run out.

This, in my opinion, is the only reason he may not come to YSU.  The risk.  If by chance, he fails, it'll look bad and could hurt him when pursuing larger jobs in the coming years.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #365 on: December 16, 2014, 11:28:42 AM »
I can think of an excellent reason for Pelini to take the YSU job, and it has NOTHING to do with whether or not YSU is one of top FCS jobs.

To spite Nebraska and stick the screws to them. From all I have read, it seems YSU could pay Pelini $1 per year to be HC until the buyout at Nebraska runs out. Even if he is paid say $150,000 - $200,000, Nebraska would still be paying the vast majority of the money Pelini gets for the next 4+ years.

Taking this job is not without risk for Pelini. If he is not able to beat NDSU consistently, not able to win any of the "money games", and YSU misses the playoffs in ANY season, or is 1 and done or 1-1 at best in playoffs, the knock on him of being unable to guide his team to wins in big games will just get bigger. And, in that case, his HC career will be finished, unless he stays at YSU for 5,10, 15 years and can accept being paid at most $200,000-$250,000, and coaching in front of crowds of 20,000 or less(most of the time more like 10,000, when adding in road games), instead of coaching in stadiums that hold 50,000+, are usually full or 85-90% full, and having most games televised on National TV. not ESPN 3.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2014, 11:33:58 AM »
Joe Scalzo @JoeScalzo1  ·  26m 26 minutes ago

For those seeking YSU coach reports, one source told me "Wednesday or Thursday" and another simply  told me "getting closer."

They probably have to work out details if it is pelini with his Nebraska buy out clause.  I'm pretty sure it's not just as easy as sign a new contract.

Agreed. It would be nice to get him just don't think it can happen.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 16, 2014, 11:43:15 AM »
Dana Balash reporting Bo is coach.  Lets see if this one sticks!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 16, 2014, 11:55:41 AM »
Dana Balash, Joe scalzo, chad krispinsky all reporting its a done deal. Let's go Bo!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #369 on: December 16, 2014, 11:59:49 AM »
If it is true, then the next few years at YSU ought to be very, very, very interesting.

It has been over 1 hour since the thread stating Pelinin to YSU is a done deal was started. And, now almost 30 minutes since a person posted on that thread said WKBN is saying this is true. Yet, nothing on ESPN.com, CBSSportsline or Yahoo Sports. Not saying Pelini to YSU isn't going to happen, just saying those 3 National sites are not reporting on this story. Kind of odd if this is indeed a done deal. I'm guessing they were duped once, so this time they are waiting until 100% certain to run with the story.

I did see an article on SB Nation, and it cited FootballScoop as the outlet that made this public. Then story was updated to say Ytown media are also reporting story to be true. Again, the skeptic in me says this is FootballScoop throwing $h!t at the wall again, and hoping this time it sticks. SB Nation and FootballScoop are the TMZ of sports. So, once again, please understand my skepticism, until an OFFICIAL announcement is made by YSU.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/9/7365187/bo-pelini-hired-youngstown-state

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 16, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »
It's true. And I guess Football Scoop was right all along....

Lets_Talk

« Reply #371 on: December 16, 2014, 12:05:43 PM »
Story is now on ESPN.com, but not yet on CBSSportsline or Yahoo Sports.

ESPN story says YSU is not likely to announce the hiring today. This just gets more and more bizarre. BOT is meeting today. BOT will have to approve the hire. So, if it's a done deal, why not make announcement today, then do the press conference and all the media stuff tomorrow?

How will it be possible for BOT to approve the hire today and not have that info made public today? And, does this mean BOT is going to have a special meeting tomorrow simply to approve hire of Pelini, even though BOT meets today at 3PM??

And, if ESPN is now running with the story, why is YSU waiting until tomorrow to make the announcement? If true, then this will be on SportsCenter, ESPN Radio, FOX Sports Radio and all other legitimate, major sports news outlets. So, why wait until tomorrow for someone from YSU to say publicly the story is true?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12036743/former-nebraska-cornhuskers-coach-bo-pelini-become-coach-youngstown-state-penguins
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:11:57 PM by Lets_Talk »

ValleyTalk

« Reply #372 on: December 16, 2014, 12:07:36 PM »
It's true. And I guess Football Scoop was right all along....
Looks like some of you doubters need to start believing.  ;) You know, the ones who said we shouldn't be waiting or said do we honestly think Pelini is considering Youngstown.

As I've been saying, it was more complicated than one would think upon first glance. The truth will come out.

Welcome to Youngstown BO!

And Lets_Talk, I appreciate you doing your due diligence, but it is a done deal. Heard rumblings late last night and heard it was official around 8:30am this morning.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #373 on: December 16, 2014, 12:16:26 PM »
Okay, next question is WTF is Pelini thinking taking this job? From HC at Nebraska to HC of an FCS program that has made the playoffs 1 time in 14 years. Pretty sharp drop off. Hard for me to believe the YSU job is the best he can do. And, he had best win and win big, or he can forget another FBS Head job.

Losing the "money game", losing to NDSU and at least 1 other MVFC team, then going to playoffs and winning 1 game will be failure for a coach that was HC for 7 years at Nebraska. People will be expecting Tressel like results. And, not just YSU fans. Failure to beat teams like NDSU, failure to win MVFC and failure to make deep playoff run and win NC within next 2-3 years will just make the opinion that "Pelini teams cannot win the big games" echo louder than ever.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 16, 2014, 12:18:06 PM »
Okay, next question is WTF is Pelini thinking taking this job? From HC at Nebraska to HC of an FCS program that has made the playoffs 1 time in 14 years. Pretty sharp drop off. Hard for me to believe the YSU job is the best he can do. And, he had best win and win big, or he can forget another FBS Head job.

Losing the "money game", losing to NDSU and at least 1 other MVFC team, then going to playoffs and winning 1 game will be failure for a coach that was HC for 7 years at Nebraska. People will be expecting Tressel like results. And, not just YSU fans. Failure to beat teams like NDSU, failure to win MVFC and failure to make deep playoff run and win NC within next 2-3 years will just make the opinion that "Pelini teams cannot win the big games" echo louder than ever.

Maybe we are going FBS Division 1