Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 237559 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #345 on: December 15, 2014, 11:07:26 AM »
Does anyone really believe Pelini comes to Youngstown?

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 15, 2014, 11:50:04 AM »
Not really. Having said that, he probably did say no either. Otherwise, we would have moved on. IMO, he must have either given a timeline (waiting for all the FBS positions to played) and/or a set of expectations ($, $ for assistants, legal issues related to buyout clause at Nebraska, and others) for YSU to meet. In the mean time, YSU is waiting and working on (Plan A).
I don't see how this would work out well for those who are waiting for YSU decisions (Plan B).
We better have a good Plan C.
I don't remember reading about Pelini ever saying that he was interested in coming to YSU. However, I also don't remember him saying he was not interested either.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2014, 02:01:49 PM »

Then why would this be taking so long? Obviously there is interest from all rumors we have heard..... We have only heard about Hood and this OC from Oklahoma State otherwise so yeah, I believe it.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2014, 02:17:02 PM »

Then why would this be taking so long? Obviously there is interest from all rumors we have heard..... We have only heard about Hood and this OC from Oklahoma State otherwise so yeah, I believe it.

It is taking so long because we are either waiting on Pelini or they didn't like the list they ha.  Either way it sort of shows me that there was no formal planning process and we areally losing valuable recruiting time. 

Oneven situation I didn't consider until I sat down to write this is that perhaps they want to keepisode much of the staff intact and maybe they are trying to find a person that will keep the good ones here.  Not sure but we don't have a bunch of bad coaches maybe need a different leader. Who knows.   But Pelini is wishful thinking. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2014, 02:39:48 PM »
I would beg to differ "power". The fact is, we are recruiting heavy right now. All of these rumors mentioning big-time candidates are better than anything we could have had from Wolf ..or any head coach for that matter.

Also, this is the first class with Tressel as president.

This should end up as Wolf's best class.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »
Power and IAA Fan,

Some media type (Balash?) said on the radio yesterday that this is a "quiet" period in recruiting when coaches cannot contact potential players.  That apparently is the case until sometime in January.  The new guy still obviously needs time to scrutinize our list of potential recruits, and the clock is running.

It is highly likely that the new guy, as power suggested, will find some members of this staff to be far superior to those he is leaving behind.  That is certainly the case if it ends up being Hood.  I doubt that many FCS assistants are paid as well as ours.  I have a hunch that IAA Fan will be happy and 0505 will be in despair when the new staff takes shape.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2014, 02:54:13 PM »
That is somewhat true Wick. However, all of December and January are recruiting months, with these exception:

December 12: Quiet Period (for junior college prospects enrolling mid-year only)
    December 13-16: Dead Period (for junior college prospects enrolling mid-year only; staff may have contact with recruits who have been admitted for mid-year enrollment)
    December 17-18: Quiet Period (for junior college prospects enrolling mid-year only)
    December 19: Quiet Period
    December 20-January 3: Dead Period (staff may have contact with recruits who have been admitted for mid-year enrollment)
    January 9: Quiet Period
    January 10-13: Dead Period (staff may have contact with recruits who have been admitted for mid-year enrollment)

So we did just enter the quiet periods, but our coaches have been recruiting. We have had one heavy week & will not have another until January 3. After this we do need to worry, as our assistants contracts expire just when we hit the last heavy period. This is a biggy, as we get those good recruits that were passed over by the big programs.

Then again I question just how many scholarships remain. If anyone has this info it would be appreciated.

kforbs126

« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2014, 04:06:24 PM »
Sorry but I highly doubt YSU is waiting on Pelini to see if he has better offers.  No one is going to wait around like that.  It probably has something to do with his contract or buy out from Nebraska and details need worked out.  Pelini would have received offers the day it was announced he was fired.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 15, 2014, 07:03:41 PM »
The board of trustees has scheduled a meeting for 3pm tomorrow. Not sure why but could be coach related?

CookieMonsterSig

« Reply #354 on: December 15, 2014, 07:48:25 PM »
The board of trustees has scheduled a meeting for 3pm tomorrow. Not sure why but could be coach related?

Board of Trustees is meeting tomorrow to approve union contract with ACE (Association of Classified Employees), another union working the entire semester without a contract. The contract and fact finder report is expected to be rejected by the general members of ACE later this week.

Still could talk coach, but i'd expect a leak before to generate some excitement & interest.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 15, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
I am actually impressed on how quiet the search has been, they are really keeping things close to the vest.

That's ok as long as I am impressed with the hire.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Lets_Talk

« Reply #356 on: December 16, 2014, 02:50:36 AM »
If Tressel were actively involved in this process, I do not believe it would be characterized as "bizarre". I could be wrong, but I do not think Tressel has anywhere near the involvement with day-to-day operations of YSU Athletic Dept as some people think. He is UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT, and has people hired to run the Athletic Department. He likely gives advice, and guidance, but not much different than he would or does for people in ANY department on campus. And, as important as it is to hire a football coach, it is MORE IMPORTANT to get the contract disputes with Faculty and ACE resolved, because first and foremost, a University is about providing EDUCATION. Sports are EXTRACURRICULAR.

I find all the secrecy appalling. YSU is a PUBLIC UNIVERSITY. When there is a search for President or Provost, names of people who apply are made public by the school, as are the names of those who make it to the interview process. And, I do not see any way that the way this process is taking place can be giving people a positive opinion of YSU? Whatever positive publicity may have come from the false leaking of Pelini as the next coach has likely been lost, and may even have become a negative. Heck, we keep talking about Pelini, myself included, even though he has NEVER stated publicly that he has any interest in the job at YSU.

The same way lists of applicants is released by the school for President, Provost and other important positions related to YSU, this process used to be done for head coaching openings. List of applicants was made public by YSU, list of finalists made public, and the ones who got interviews were even interviewed by the media in press conferences. It was true when Tressel was hired. There was no search to replace Tressel, as he suggested Heacock be named his successor, and to be honest that made sense at the time.

Names of applicants were made public when hiring a replacement for Dom Roselli. The initial replacement for Mike Rice was Bill Daily, who was a member of Rice's staff. He died in August of that year due to cancer, and was replaced by Jim Cleamons. Do not remember a whole lot about that search process, other than it was very close to the start of the season. Cleamons left after 2 years, and was replaced by John Stroia, an assistant to Cleamons. I remember names of applicants being made public when Dan Peters was hired as mens basketball coach, as were their interview dates.  Same with the search process that ended with Robic being hired. Not sure about the search for Slocum. At the very least, I know the names of candidates coming for interviews was released. Strollo started working on the search for a replacement to Robic well before the season was over.

I used to try and get info out of him, but he would usually only tell me "trust me, we are talking with people". I've known him since he was in 5th grade, and that is all he would give me. I'd suggest names, and he would just smile and say "we're contacting people. By the way, Slocum is one of the coaches I was suggesting, as I went to alot of Geneva games when he coached there, and sat right behind the bench. Honestly think some of his teams at Geneva would have beat YSU. Anyway, as some know, I considered Tisha Hill a friend. Ron never came flat out and told me she was done, but I remember talking to him at the last regular season home game in the 07-08 season, and knew she was done by his tone and body language.

Names of candidates were released in the search to find the successor to Coach D. That is how I know Jodi Kest, the current coach at Akron applied and was one of the top candidates, likely THE top candidate, then withdrew her name. I remember in 1999, the likely top candidate was Sean Miller. At the time, he was an assistant at NC State. He is now HC at Arizona. Was young, and had the smarts to remain at NC State a few more years, rather than take a job at a place where success was going to be hard, not too mention he most likely was not quite ready to be a Head Coach.

I do not remember a whole lot about how things happened as far as search that resulted in Slocum being hired. I know Ron wanted a person with Head Coaching experience. I know the coach at Findlay was high on the list, as was Slocum. Do not remember if a full list of applicants was released by YSU, but know things were made public about coaches coming for interviews, complete with press conferences.

Even when Ron Strollo was hired as AD, a list of the applicants was released by YSU, and then the names of the finalists, bio of each and when they would have their interviews. That is how I can say Ron was the best choice of the people who applied for the job, because I was able to compare Ron's background with that of the other candidates

Lets_Talk

« Reply #357 on: December 16, 2014, 03:10:57 AM »
The meeting being held on Tuesday was scheduled in NOVEMBER. Hiring of a football coach could be discussed, but this meeting was scheduled back on November 18th, and is a Regular Board Meeting.

http://web.ysu.edu/gen/ysu_generated_bin/documents/basic_module/Board_Meeting_333_November_18_2014.pdf
ITEM VIII – TIME AND PLACE OF UPCOMING REGULAR MEETINGS
"Upon motion duly made and seconded, which received the affirmative vote
of all trustees present, the trustees resolved to set the following dates and times for the next regular
meetings of the board to be held in the Board Room in Tod Hall:
3:00 p.m., Tuesday, December 16, 2014
3:00 p.m., Wednesday, March 11, 2015
3:00 p.m., Wednesday, June 17, 2015"

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 16, 2014, 08:40:06 AM »
Joe Scalzo @JoeScalzo1  ·  26m 26 minutes ago

For those seeking YSU coach reports, one source told me "Wednesday or Thursday" and another simply  told me "getting closer."

kforbs126

« Reply #359 on: December 16, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »
Joe Scalzo @JoeScalzo1  ·  26m 26 minutes ago

For those seeking YSU coach reports, one source told me "Wednesday or Thursday" and another simply  told me "getting closer."

They probably have to work out details if it is pelini with his Nebraska buy out clause.  I'm pretty sure it's not just as easy as sign a new contract.