Author Topic: Official: Head Coach Search Thread  (Read 237630 times)

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Official: Head Coach Search Thread
« Reply #315 on: December 14, 2014, 09:31:02 AM »
Hiring Hood would be like winning a car and then finding out it is a used Pinto.

Yes and one with a great engine and no transmission
Stollo is acting more llike a used car salesman than an AD
I am not sure Tressel is involved in this situation as much as we would like to believe.

Penguin Nation - It wouldn't surprise me at all if Justin Bieber was the next name to circulate in the rumor mill

PLEASE MR STOLLO, DON'T SCREW THIS UP!

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 14, 2014, 10:15:31 AM »
The guy you hire should have a better resume than the guy you fired.

Pelini obviously does. 

Hood does not.  Not even close.

Wolford has a higher win % than Hood over the most recent two years, and got it in the top FCS conference.  Massey ranks the OVC seventh in the FCS.

This post nails it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #317 on: December 14, 2014, 11:20:55 AM »
You people all look for giant status for a small school. Everyone mentioned Spurrier more than Wolford when he was hired. You sit back and wonder who the president YSU will hire? The answer is NO ONE, it will be the AD.  Do any of you remember this interview with Spurrier the Monday after we hired Wolf?

"Eric Wolford told me today he's taking the Youngstown State head job. So we wish Eric well. I've already got a stack of lists of possible O-line coaches. He told me officially today that he wanted to take the head job. If it's a good decision, time will tell. I didn't think it was the right decision for him right now, but we all have choices to make and that's what he wanted to do." ...

So now if you approve of our next hire, it is Tressel's hire and if not ...it is Strollo's hire and we have to hear FIRE STROLLO for the hundredth time this year. Are you going to yell "fire Tressel" if the next guy does not work out?

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 14, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »
My source tells me that this is Strollo's hire...Tress is out of picture.  They are going to give Pelini time to see what happens at Pitt and if Les Miles takes the Michigan job he may go there with him. It will be Strollo's to win big or screw up.  More or less...Strollo is on the line.  May not be until the end of the month before we here something.  Hood is still available but he may have Vanderbilt D - Coordinator lined up so he needs to know soon.  They brought some other people in today...Okie State asst. coach who has ties back here with his wife....

THE DRIVE FOR 5

Lets_Talk

« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2014, 05:41:33 PM »
If what peteonastick posted is true, then I hope all of this backfires on Strollo and YSU.

Bo Pelini is a good coach. He is not a god. There is no guarantee YSU will be signifigantly better with Pelinin that they were with Wolford, or than they could be with a current FCS Head Coach from a lower tier program, or a quality assistant coach for whom this would be their first Head Coaching job. Same of a current D2 coach who has a proven track record of success as an HC. This is ridiculous waiting, waiting and waiting on Pelini. He is not worth waiting on for another 2,3,4 weeks. And, I have no doubt the situation with Pelini is more than a simple yes or no, as Valley Talk stated. Which is all the more reason for red flags to be raised in regards to Pelini.

It would not surprise me at all if Wolford is watching all of this and laughing. I was not a big fan of Wolford. He rubbed me the wrong way from his very first press conference. Having said that, at this point, it is looking more and more as if YSU would have been best to just keep Wolford for at least 1 more year.

Also, as this process drags on, I have no problem believing Tressel has little to no involvement in the process. And, to me, that is a good thing. Shows he is taking the job as President seriously, and he is trusting Ron Strollo to handle things. And, the AD is the one who should be handling the search for a new HC, not the University President. Role of University President ought to be sit in on and/or participate in interviews when a candidate chosen by the AD comes for an interview. And, be in on approving the final decision. Otherwise, the President has many other things to focus on at a University the size of YSU.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2014, 06:03:05 PM »
If what peteonastick posted is true, then I hope all of this backfires on Strollo and YSU.

Bo Pelini is a good coach. He is not a god. There is no guarantee YSU will be signifigantly better with Pelinin that they were with Wolford, or than they could be with a current FCS Head Coach from a lower tier program, or a quality assistant coach for whom this would be their first Head Coaching job. Same of a current D2 coach who has a proven track record of success as an HC. This is ridiculous waiting, waiting and waiting on Pelini. He is not worth waiting on for another 2,3,4 weeks. And, I have no doubt the situation with Pelini is more than a simple yes or no, as Valley Talk stated. Which is all the more reason for red flags to be raised in regards to Pelini.

It would not surprise me at all if Wolford is watching all of this and laughing. I was not a big fan of Wolford. He rubbed me the wrong way from his very first press conference. Having said that, at this point, it is looking more and more as if YSU would have been best to just keep Wolford for at least 1 more year.

Also, as this process drags on, I have no problem believing Tressel has little to no involvement in the process. And, to me, that is a good thing. Shows he is taking the job as President seriously, and he is trusting Ron Strollo to handle things. And, the AD is the one who should be handling the search for a new HC, not the University President. Role of University President ought to be sit in on and/or participate in interviews when a candidate chosen by the AD comes for an interview. And, be in on approving the final decision. Otherwise, the President has many other things to focus on at a University the size of YSU.

There's no guarantee that Pelini will get YSU into the playoffs, but out of all the candidates, he has the best resume and has shown he can win in the Big10. This is a do or die hire for Strollo I believe.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2014, 06:19:25 PM »
Getting Pelini is not realistic.  Not going to happen.   This is what everyone wishes for but it is wishful thinking

ValleyTalk

« Reply #322 on: December 14, 2014, 06:29:21 PM »
Getting Pelini is not realistic.  Not going to happen.   This is what everyone wishes for but it is wishful thinking
It is unclear if he ends up here, but I can assure you of this, this is far from wishful thinking.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #323 on: December 14, 2014, 06:29:45 PM »
ysufan0505,

Pelini is clearly playing YSU. If he TRULY wanted to be HC at YSU, then he would already be hired. The actual details of his pay and assistant's pay could be worked out once he is hired. Remember, he is going to get paid a large sum of money from Nebraska over the next 5 years. And, if he expects to coach at YSU and have assistants be paid the same as assistants at FBS schools, then he does not belong in FCS.

YSU appears to be putting all of their eggs in the Pelini basket, and then interviewing other people as back-ups. Why would those other people want to wait on Pelini? As 1AAFan stated, the coaches who are presently coaching at other schools and have interviews with YSU risk facing a backlash from the schools at which they currently coach. So, why even interview with YSU when it becomes more and more clear each day that YSU has their eyes on Pelini, with all others far, far, far behind.

At some point, you tell Pelini he is not the right coach for YSU. And, that time has come and gone. You know what, I do not care who is hired. I like to see YSU sports do well, but my life does not revolve around YSU sports. And, I engage in these discussions because they are interesting, and I enjoy discussions about sports. Also, YSU is my Alma Mater. But, in the big picture of my life, who is HC of ANY sport at YSU and the won-loss records of the teams is meaningless. Does not mean I want t he teams to lose, just means my life does not change whether YSU wins or loses a game or games.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 14, 2014, 06:36:13 PM »
Mike Yurcich, OC, Okla. St.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: December 14, 2014, 06:40:21 PM »
I agree with the arguments from Let's Talk's first paragraph.  It was entirely proper for Strollo to make the offer to Pelini, only because of the unique situation where Nebraska would have footed most of the bill for several years.  But since Pelini is obviously using YSU as a last resort, fall-back position (just as YSU is apparently dangling those other coaches) why would you want him?  He would bolt at the first opportunity from a power conference or from the NFL.  He could even leave before he coached next season.  No thank you.  Move on.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: December 14, 2014, 06:50:14 PM »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: December 14, 2014, 06:51:37 PM »
Mike Yurcich, OC, Okla. St.

Lol.

I think Paladin is onto something.   Perhaps that would be a good one.  Fresh blood too

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: December 14, 2014, 07:03:53 PM »
Yurcich is an Ohio boy from Euclid area and wife is from Youngstown. Mt. Union guy I believe. Experience as OC at D-2 Shippensburg and Edinboro before that. Has been at Okla. St. For 2 years as OC but is. On the hot seat and contract is up. Fans want him out. No word on his future contract status

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: December 14, 2014, 07:30:23 PM »
So what makes him a good candidate? Didn't see Ok St have too much success with him this year (Granted they had a lot of injuries) and he's pretty much being the scapegoat for that. Don't see him as a solid HC choice. Not enough coaching experience/too young.