Author Topic: Stambaugh Stadium  (Read 24196 times)

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: Stambaugh Stadium
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »
Tressels is such a good quality man.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 10:18:22 AM »
1AA--

Strollo, per your description, seems like a nice fellow who likes you.  That's great.

In terms of job performance, the FB playoff appearances were an annual expectation under the former AD, and stopped immediately as soon as Strollo became AD.  This is the #1 sport at YSU.

I'm glad Olympic sports are doing well, but that's only a portion of his job  Every school is doing facility upgrades (JMU is unrecognizable to my wife who went there in the 90s), so that rationale holds no water.

The signature sport at YSU deteriorates immediately at the start of his role as AD (the worst post-season drought since the 70s) , continues to this very day, and he is held unaccountable?

IMO, seeing Strollo and Slocum collect checks and under-perform gives me the impression that the YSU Athletic Department really doesn't care about improvement or success.  Getting by is good enough.  I say that as a fan and alumni who has attended MBB and FB games for over 40 years.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 10:55:18 AM »
Nation,

Although I agree with your analysis, Strollo is no longer an issue.  He was when we had university presidents who were either unconcerned or ignorant about intercollegiate athletics.  Now the board of trustees will make major decisions based upon the recommendations of Jim Tressel.  Strollo will basically handle financial matters which by all accounts he does very well.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
Wick---

That is reassuring, but there still is a lack of accountability.  It is unfair for Heacock, Hill, Martin, and Wolf to get fired....but Strollo lingers around as if he was a competent AD.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
For the record, I did not attend one basketball game last year. Nor will I this year. Online or TV will do.  The AD had destroyed Olympic sports for a decade. Made two hires that destroyed women's BB and men's has been broken for more than decade. Football? Lol. He has ruined non-league game scheduling. Promotion of YSU games are a joke. he caters to the big money guys and screws the fans. He was hired because of politics and keeps his job for the  reasons unknown to me. To evaluate him would be to fire him. Nice guy ? Sounds like the heacock crew again. No money till he is gone.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
Nation & Wick. I am not sure you realize just what Strollo does.

Perhaps his biggest challenges (as with any AD) include staying atop changing rules; political requirements with coaches in the program, school leaders, and the public; and pressures from changing budgets. You cannot be a butcher. Every action Strollo takes has 6-different reactions. He has to please the members of the academics, athletics, media, coaches/staff (aka union crap), fans, various business units. All of this with a mind to staying within a budget.

Sure he provides guidance and direction to the program, and you feel this is not going the right way. Realize the school really did not even have an AD 30-to-40-years ago? We are a growing school and Strollo is the first professional AD we have ever had. Malmusar and Tressel simply made sure we stayed compliant and made schedules. To get the type of AD you want, we would need to quite a bit more money than we can afford.

Two items:
1. Strollo has had to learn many of his skills on-the-job; but I feel he has learned quite well. As with Heacock, Strollo knows when it is time to go ...but I hope this time is not near.
2. Tressel is not the Athletic department's savior. Tressel will have almost NOTHING to do with Athletics. If he did, do you not think the NCAA would have blocked his appointment? Or at least required some clarification of responsibilities? As athletics impact the university as a whole, he will have some limited involvement.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 06:17:47 PM »

I thought that at one time until he was proven a cheat & liar

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »
Since the last home game has been played, it's time to announce I did not buy Penguin Club seats this year. Did not buy ANY tickets this year after several decades of having Penguin Club seats. We gave them up. Never attended any games. Watched on TV or online. I dislike the AD and the mess he has created with the money sports that we pulled the plug this year. No more purchases till he is gone. As for the rest of the crowd missing from the stadium, it's been down hill for a long time and I don't see it coming back quick if at all. I actually feel good about it because I found that it's the only way to force their hand.

Akron is a short drive, I hear that they have a few empty seats, we will miss you.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 09:03:23 PM »

If you are a Christian you will understand the human condition.   He never committed a crime but rather broke ncaa rules which is a joke to begin with.   Do you really think the ncaa holds an ounce of credibility?   It is a cartel.  I could give a sh** less.  The ncar is a joke and all schools walk a fine line a.day cross it regularly.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »
IAA Fan,

What you described in your first paragraph is administrative and budgetary stuff which I agree that Strollo does well.  My problem with him was always the selection of coaches.  Lots of misses until Bob Boldon and now John Barnes. 

I stated that Tressel would make "major decisions" and I stand by that.  He won't be involved in the details of the athletic department, but he will have the primary voice in the selection of the football coach.  That will be done behind the scenes with Strollo serving as the university spokesman.

Incidentally, in the useless trivia category, the university had a well-respected professional athletic director before you were even born.  His name was Willard Webster.  He did okay.  Kept around a basketball coach by the name of Rosselli for decades.  Even had a good football coach (in his prime) named Dike Beede.

To all the Tressel haters:

Of course, Tressel broke NCAA rules and it cost him dearly.  He lied and covered up a very serious crime; namely, his players exchanged their PERSONAL PROPERTY for services.  How dare they do that in a free, capitalist society.

Meanwhile, about 170 miles to the east of Youngstown, another head football coach looked the other way as a monster molested children on university property for about a decade.  Clearly, Tressel and Paterno committed crimes of the same magnitude.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:03:51 PM by Wick250 »

Offline Observer

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2014, 10:02:08 PM »
What the hell does being Christian have to do with anything? The NCAA rules are not a joke if you plan on making a living by them.  They are a reality.  A distorted unfairly implemented reality, eerily similar to real life, but a reality none the less.  It is amazing the loyalty heaped upon a person for being a good football coach.  Apparently he walked on water one day and I missed it.

Now a deflection to Paterno?  The nation really missed the day he took 4 footballs and turned them into wine

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
IAA Fan,

What you described in your first paragraph is administrative and budgetary stuff which I agree that Strollo does well.  My problem with him was always the selection of coaches.  Lots of misses until Bob Boldon and now John Barnes. 

I stated that Tressel would make "major decisions" and I stand by that.  He won't be involved in the details of the athletic department, but he will have the primary voice in the selection of the football coach.  That will be done behind the scenes with Strollo serving as the university spokesman.

Incidentally, in the useless trivia category, the university had a well-respected professional athletic director before you were even born.  His name was Willard Webster.  He did okay.  Kept around a basketball coach by the name of Rosselli for decades.  Even had a good football coach (in his prime) named Dike Beede.

To all the Tressel haters:

Of course, Tressel broke NCAA rules and it cost him dearly.  He lied and covered up a very serious crime; namely, his players exchanged their PERSONAL PROPERTY for services.  How dare they do that in a free, capitalist society.

Meanwhile, about 170 miles to the east of Youngstown, another head football coach looked the other way as a monster molested children on university property for about a decade.  Clearly, Tressel and Paterno committed crimes of the same magnitude.

Could you imaging if Coach/President Tressel was in the SEC? He'd received a multi-million dollar contract extension and all those players would be running around the NFL right now  8)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
Wick: you are correct about Tressel being involved in a major decision, but then everyone complains about the "good ol' boy" syndrome going on at the university. I guess there is always going to be someone that is not going to like something at the university.

I think Tressel is a smart man & he will deliberately stay away from as much in the way of athletics as he can.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2014, 10:14:52 AM »

Spoken like a true Michigan fan  :o

You ever coming back for a game? I haven't seen you in years. Trust me there are few enough people I would have spotted you many times this season  :-[

Offline GOPENNY

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2014, 05:57:24 PM »
1AA--

Strollo, per your description, seems like a nice fellow who likes you.  That's great.

In terms of job performance, the FB playoff appearances were an annual expectation under the former AD, and stopped immediately as soon as Strollo became AD.  This is the #1 sport at YSU.

I'm glad Olympic sports are doing well, but that's only a portion of his job  Every school is doing facility upgrades (JMU is unrecognizable to my wife who went there in the 90s), so that rationale holds no water.

The signature sport at YSU deteriorates immediately at the start of his role as AD (the worst post-season drought since the 70s) , continues to this very day, and he is held unaccountable?

IMO, seeing Strollo and Slocum collect checks and under-perform gives me the impression that the YSU Athletic Department really doesn't care about improvement or success.  Getting by is good enough.  I say that as a fan and alumni who has attended MBB and FB games for over 40 years.

My grandfather told me that Youngstown State University at one time was a great Basketball School. He said that the university at one time sold out many times and fans could not get game tickets. He said that was in the 60s'.He said one player named McElroy sometimes scored 100 points in a game.  What happened to the YSU basketball program. Games are fun though.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:47:19 PM by GOPENNY »