Author Topic: Stambaugh Stadium  (Read 24197 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Stambaugh Stadium
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
1AA--

Strollo, per your description, seems like a nice fellow who likes you.  That's great.

In terms of job performance, the FB playoff appearances were an annual expectation under the former AD, and stopped immediately as soon as Strollo became AD.  This is the #1 sport at YSU.

I'm glad Olympic sports are doing well, but that's only a portion of his job  Every school is doing facility upgrades (JMU is unrecognizable to my wife who went there in the 90s), so that rationale holds no water.

The signature sport at YSU deteriorates immediately at the start of his role as AD (the worst post-season drought since the 70s) , continues to this very day, and he is held unaccountable?

IMO, seeing Strollo and Slocum collect checks and under-perform gives me the impression that the YSU Athletic Department really doesn't care about improvement or success.  Getting by is good enough.  I say that as a fan and alumni who has attended MBB and FB games for over 40 years.

My grandfather told me that Youngstown State University at one time was a great Basketball School. He said that the university at one time sold out many times and fans could not get game tickets. He said that was in the 60s'.He said one player named McElroy sometimes scored 100 points in a game.  What happened to the YSU basketball program. Games are fun though.

I was a student at YSU in the 60's. I was unable to get into several games. However, we were playing in the high school field house... South high, Struthers and Austintown. We were also in division 2 at the time. I was the game which McElory scored 72 points. I don't think he scored 100 points.

Offline GOPENNY

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »
I asked my grandfather about what you said..........that Mc Elroy got 72 points not 100. He says he is not sure but 72 may be right.

Anyway, yeah he said they were division 2 at the time. But, who cares they were good.  He said with a good coach they could be just as good as in the good ole days.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 07:26:35 PM »
We were there (hate to admit it).  Mac hit 72.  Such an explosive night.  I could go and get the program from our archives but I'm tired.  Believe me, it happened.  Never 100 points tho.  What memories from South High Field House about 1965 would be my guess.  GEEZ almost 50 years ago.  Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2014, 09:15:17 PM »
Well, I was there also with several thousand fans, YSU basketball was being followed by many at that time. Yes, they were Div ll, but they were good and exciting under Dom Rosselli during the late 50's thru the early 70's. Tony Knott was great in the late 50's, then Ronnie Allen and Red Jones were great into the 60's. McElory hit 72, but also had several games scoring in the 40's and 50's.

Many of those teams were rated in the top 5 in the country, usually behind Evansville and So. Illinois and defeated Div 1 teams. That's when YSU basketball had more attendance that football.     

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2014, 09:20:30 PM »
Is South field house still being used? Never been inside there....

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2014, 09:50:05 PM »
I still get upset thinking of Randolph Macon.

Thinking back about playing bb at South and fb at Campbell, Rayen and Fitch then looking at what we have now, we have come a long way
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2014, 12:19:19 AM »
My friend just told me that YSU won their game at South Dakota..............that is pretty good.  Then she says they are playing again on Saturday.  She said YSU is playing Texas A & M. Now, that would be a great game to watch. She says she does not if it will be on tv. Does anyone know? Texas A & M is the really big time, ..........I think.

You are an idiot and should not post here. Take a course in writing. You have no substance, contribute nothing and make the board look stupid.