Author Topic: Southern Illinois Game.....  (Read 39035 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Illinois Game.....
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »
The thing about Wells... He is very accurate, and goes through his progressions and sits in the pocket nicely and steps up and fires the ball. Unlike our uhhhh starter at the beginning of the season, who runs like a chicken with his head cut off when pressure gets to him. It's early but I'm a Wells believer.

Fantastic qb. We havery a good one. Not a system qb

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2014, 09:56:22 PM »
How the larger school's missed out on this kid I will never know. Credit Our coaching staff on picking up on what others didn't. I believe there was a quarterback named Joe Flacco who went to  Delaware. .just saying I see some similarities in the two. .factor in the drops today he only had 4 incomplete passes..simply incredible in those less then favorable weather conditions..yes I do feel Y.S.U. has their future Qb

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2014, 11:12:45 PM »
How the larger school's missed out on this kid I will never know. Credit Our coaching staff on picking up on what others didn't. I believe there was a quarterback named Joe Flacco who went to  Delaware. .just saying I see some similarities in the two. .factor in the drops today he only had 4 incomplete passes..simply incredible in those less then favorable weather conditions..yes I do feel Y.S.U. has their future Qb

I agree.  He is fantastic

Lets_Talk

« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2014, 12:58:44 AM »
ysufan0505,

SDSU is in the process of raising money to completely renovate the current stadium in phases over the next 2 years, with capacity being increased to 18,500 to 20,000. The plan is to have brand new sections on the East and South sides completed by the start of next season, and a new section on the West side completed by the start of 2016.

When completed, SDSU will have a stadium much nicer than Stambuagh Stadium

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209276603

ValleyTalk

« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2014, 08:18:00 AM »
ysufan0505,

SDSU is in the process of raising money to completely renovate the current stadium in phases over the next 2 years, with capacity being increased to 18,500 to 20,000. The plan is to have brand new sections on the East and South sides completed by the start of next season, and a new section on the West side completed by the start of 2016.

When completed, SDSU will have a stadium much nicer than Stambuagh Stadium

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209276603

Until then, their stadium resembles Fitch Falcon Stadium pre-field turf.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2014, 09:26:41 AM »
First time all year I felt this team played well. "IF" the silly mistakes could stop... jumping off sides, blocked punt and second half jitters YSU would be dangerous. Over all very pleased and Wells is an awesome QB just a freshman  :D

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »
Good, they need those renovations bad lol

Offline DoubleE

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2014, 09:52:08 AM »

Flacco went to pitt and then transfered to delaware when he couldnt beat out Tyler Palko at QB

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »
Waiting for Pally to say something negative....
Pally already warned us in September to "watch what happens when he has to play against good MVFC teams." ::)

Lets_Talk

« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »
ysufan0505,

I hope you understand my post was in no way an attack on you. Just was not sure if you knew SDSU had plans to build a new stadium over the nest 2 years on the site of the current stadium. I only knew from being on the SDSU web site earlier in the year. Although, I did feel like you were taking a cheap shot at SDSU and am not sure why? The stadium is 50 years old and has a grass surface. There are alot of stadiums in the NFL, FBS and FCS that are in areas of the country with cold weather, rain and snow that have grass surfaces. I prefer natural grass to artificial turf, even these modern turf fields.

ValleyTalk,

Yes, the SDSU stadium is old. I would not go as far though as to say it resemble a high school stadium, or even Fitch. SDSU has stands in one end zone. There is not a track around the field. Stadiums with tracks around the field are not exactly the best for watching football. SDSU also has a bigger press box and a much nicer scoreboard than Fitch. It is what it is, an old college stadium that was built for a small college, and over time expanded. Remember, SDSU has only been at the FCS level since 2004. And, it takes time to raise money for a new stadium. At least SDSU has had an on-campus stadium for the last 50 years, and for their first year playing at FCS. In contrast, YSU played their first FCS season at Fitch High School, and has only had an on campus stadium since 1982. YSU had a weird looking, one sided stadium from 82-96, with turf that was hard as a rock.

Stambaugh is a nice stadium, but at the same time it still looks like a stadium that is unfinished. There used to be a small sized model of an expanded Stambaugh Stadium inside Kilcawley Center back in the early 90's. The model had seating in the North end zone, with walkways that connected the East and West stands in both the North and South end zones. Here is a renderring of what the expanded Stambaugh Stadium was intended to look like. Now, this is a stadium, just too bad it never became a reality  :'(

Again, not sure why the negative shot at SDSU for having an old stadium. Especially when renovations have been occurring in recent years, and a brand new stadium is on the way for 2016.  SDSU just opened a state of the art indoor facility with a 300 meter track as part of the process of renovating/constructing athletic facilities.
http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209449532&DB_OEM_ID=15000&DB_OEM_ID=15000

Also, a question for each of you. Would you rather have Stambaugh Stadium and a record of 1-6 against SDSU since the teams resumed playing in 2007, or the current SDSU stadium, a 6-1 record against SDSU(including a 6 game winning streak) and a brand new, state of the art stadium on the way? Each of the last 3 seasons, losses to SDSU kept YSU from making the playoffs. SDSU has also made the FCS playoffs in 09,12 and 13 after first becoming eligible in 2008. YSU last made the playoffs in 2006.

I would take YSU having the current SDSU stadium, a 6-1 record over SDSU the last 7 years and trips to the playoffs in 2011, 2012 and 2013(Years YSU would have made the playoffs with a win over SDSU). I would take that even if SDSU was not going to be building a new stadium. And, if YSU hopes to be a playoff team in 2014, it is imperative they figure out a way to beat SDSU this week.

One last thing in regards to synthetic turf. There are serious concerns being raised about the possibility of the ground up tires used in these surfaces causing cancer, and other serious medical conditions. Mike has even developed an alternative filling for the synthetic fields. Here are a few links on the risks of the new synthetic fields and cancer
http://augustafreepress.com/can-playing-artificial-turf-cause-cancer/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/16/artificial-turf-cancer-crumb-rubber_n_5997228.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 10:28:09 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2014, 11:07:02 PM »
That was 2 different hopes there Talk ...first it was part of the Y2k campus , then it became the 100-year anniversary hope. You are right ...too bad it never materialized.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2014, 12:54:07 PM »
I was really impressed with the offense on that last drive, especially the offensive line.  13 rushes ate up 7 minutes of clock.  That's the way to put a game away.