Author Topic: Southern Illinois Game.....  (Read 39023 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Southern Illinois Game.....
« on: October 15, 2014, 11:19:52 AM »
Must, must win! I think the team responds in a big way this week. Defensive TD, Martin and Jody go off.

YSU 34
SIU 20

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Illinois Game.....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »
I agree with you. Im trying not to sound like a homer because I want the Guins to win. Penguins bounce back this week. In a surprising way I think you see a much more efficient OFFENSE. I think after back to back poor offensive displays you see a much better and different offensive performance. Let's go Guins. I think we score 30 points this week. Must Win game this week, not just us fans are aware of that, but these players realize that as well. Us in the Youngstown community are fully aware that an 8 win season doesnt guarantee playoffs.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 01:07:09 AM »
I agree with you. Im trying not to sound like a homer because I want the Guins to win. Penguins bounce back this week. In a surprising way I think you see a much more efficient OFFENSE. I think after back to back poor offensive displays you see a much better and different offensive performance. Let's go Guins. I think we score 30 points this week. Must Win game this week, not just us fans are aware of that, but these players realize that as well. Us in the Youngstown community are fully aware that an 8 win season doesnt guarantee playoffs.

Amen to that.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 07:36:05 AM »
I think it is safe to say this is the biggest game in the Eric Wolford era for him and his staff. Just once has YSU not gone on a 2 game losing streak or worse in MVFC play under Wolford.

In 2010, lost 7 straight to end season.
In 2011, lost 2 straight early in the conference, but after we won 2 straight, we lost on a last second to UNI but went back on the road a week later to upset #1 NDSU.
In 2012, lost 4 straight in middle of season.
In 2013, lost 3 straight to end season.

If we can respond with a win, that would be huge. SDSU has our number, but they have been underachieving this year.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:37:06 AM by ValleyTalk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 08:02:11 AM »
I felt good about our chances until what is becoming the "annual meltdown" last week.  I have absolutely no confidence in the team or the coaches anymore. I know we can win buy how many stupid mistakes will we make that will cost us the game?  Last week 5 blunders did it. This week 1-3 could be the amount to do it because SIU is a better team than WIU.

I find it difficult to predict the number of stupid plays and based on the fact that we haven't been consistently getting better in this area I'm saying we lose this game because the margin of error is too low.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:49:29 AM »
I know we can win buy how many stupid mistakes will we make that will cost us the game?  Last week 5 blunders did it.
I find it difficult to predict the number of stupid plays and based on the fact that we haven't been consistently getting better in this area.

Penguinpower
If you would, please clarify where the blame lies for stupid mistakes.  This is for understanding your point and not argument.
My take: I think players and coaches have each had their moments.  What mistakes from a coaching aspect that grind me are poor clock management and the horrible problem of getting plays in on time.  Poor use of time outs (maybe more to it than apparent), the fake punt debacle and our conservative second half offense.  These are all correctable, but don't appear to be important to the coaching staff as they are a constant.
Some penalties such as off-sides and motion are mental errors on the players.  I am not sure penalties ever come at a good time, but YSU seems to major in the worst timing giving their opponents first downs when the defense had them stopped.   Personal fouls for fighting are just idiotic, me first penalties that I feel are many times egged on by an opposing coaching staff.  Officiating has been horrible, but it has been that way for years and you have to play to overcome that.  I watched the official think about tossing a flag when the WIU punter took a flop shortly after they were hit for running into Joey.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 10:59:20 AM »
I know we can win buy how many stupid mistakes will we make that will cost us the game?  Last week 5 blunders did it.
I find it difficult to predict the number of stupid plays and based on the fact that we haven't been consistently getting better in this area.

Penguinpower
If you would, please clarify where the blame lies for stupid mistakes.  This is for understanding your point and not argument.
My take: I think players and coaches have each had their moments.  What mistakes from a coaching aspect that grind me are poor clock management and the horrible problem of getting plays in on time.  Poor use of time outs (maybe more to it than apparent), the fake punt debacle and our conservative second half offense.  These are all correctable, but don't appear to be important to the coaching staff as they are a constant.
Some penalties such as off-sides and motion are mental errors on the players.  I am not sure penalties ever come at a good time, but YSU seems to major in the worst timing giving their opponents first downs when the defense had them stopped.   Personal fouls for fighting are just idiotic, me first penalties that I feel are many times egged on by an opposing coaching staff.  Officiating has been horrible, but it has been that way for years and you have to play to overcome that.  I watched the official think about tossing a flag when the WIU punter took a flop shortly after they were hit for running into Joey.

Blame lies on both sides.  You nailed my point.  For example running back before the punter kicks the ball giving up the fake.  Who coaches that strategy?   As a player that has been playing many years how could you not understand that fundamental thing.  Both sides create the exact problems you stated so well.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 11:11:54 AM »
I heard this comment from a player after last the WIU game concerning the fake:
"we saw it coming, but we have to follow the coaching assignment"

I heard that type of comment before coming from defensive linemen.  So where is the breakdown in communication?  I fear if there was a play clock for the defense, we would capture the market in delay of game penalties.  Now, we just abuse our time-outs.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 12:04:14 PM »
I believe the team bounces back and wins a close one 28 - 27.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 04:21:05 PM »
I know several people who post on this board seem to like the Massey Ratings. For what it is worth, Massey gives YSU a 45% chance of winning, and has a predicted score of SIU 27 - YSU 24

YSU is now 19th in Massey FCS ratings, while SIU is 8th
http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=9217&s=262657

If using Sagarin ratings, SIU comes out a winner by about 2 points

#118 YSU - rating 59.22+ 3.29(home advantage) = 62.51
# 88 SIU rating 64.66
http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Seems to have the makings of another close game. The teams have one common opponent, WIU.... SIU beat WIU 34-17.... WIU beat YSU 30-24

GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
SIU 34 YSU 24   YSU continues to make blunders that cost us this game!  Hope I'm wrong!

Lets_Talk

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 08:09:43 PM »
In regards to the fake punt, Wolford said in the press conference after the game YSU was trying to set up a big return. They had 2 guys rushing from each side, and then had the rest of the players run down field to set-up a big return. So, it seems to me that the players who released and ran down field were doing as instructed by the coaching staff. He also said in post game press conferences they(meaning the coach's) need to make sure at least 2 players remain in the middle of the line to prevent this from happening again.

People are correct to say that the players bare some of the blame for losing games. YSU receivers dropped at least 3 passes... there were 3 unsportsmanlike penalties, which cost 15 yards and 2 players to get ejected... there was the motion penalty on the first drive that likely cost YSU a TD, and instead forced them to settle for an FG... there was the big pass play WIU had that looked like it was going to be an INT, but the YSU defender was not able to hold on, the ball deflected right into the hands of a WIU receiver who scored a TD. ALL of these are on the players, and I'm sure there were other mistakes made by players.

But, at the end of the day, the coaching staff, and especially the HC takes full responsibility for EVERYTHING that happens with a team. Is that fair, maybe not. But, that is the nature of coaching, and ANY person who has ever coached knows this to be true. Also, YSU has a history of doing the very things that were done in the loss to WIU the entire time Wolford has been HC. This was also a trend under Heacock, with the possible exception of 2006.

Jim Tressel was a great coach at both YSU and OSU. He had alot of help though from the players he coached. At the same time, he had a knack for knowing the right buttons to push in terms of strategy, and also getting the players to believe in themselves, the team as a whole and the coaching staff. No offense to the players under Tressel(several of whom I know personally), but in terms of sheer talent, YSU likely has much more talent now than when Tressel was coach. They definitely have overall better athletes. But, being a great athlete does not make one a great football player. The Tressel teams had a nice combination of some great athletes with well above average ability, and players who never made anyone say "wow" with their size or speed, but who were "football players" and with good coaching were able to maximize every ounce of their potential. Also, if people remember, at YSU the Tressel coached teams typically got better as the season progressed. That is a testament to both the high quality of coaching/teaching and the ability of the players to learn from their mistakes. Rarely did Tressel coached teams at YSU or OSU beat themselves. And, as a fan, from the win in 91 against GSU onward, I always believed YSU could overcome what appeared to be insurmountable deficits and obstacles. It was obvious the players felt the same way, as did the opposing teams. This actually started with the win in 86 over Akron, the win in 89 over Akron, and a few other wins in the 89 season, including the playoff win over EKU. But, this belief YSU would find a way to win ebbed after the 1990 playoff loss to UCF, and also when the team started the 1991 season 4-3, with an embarrassing loss to Liberty on Homecoming. The next game YSU beat Georgia Southern, and the rest as the saying goes was history.

YSU did not always win the "big games", and Tressel coached teams had a tendency at times to lose games by becoming too conservative with a lead. A great example was the 21-20 loss to SIU in 2000, when SIU had only 1 or 2 wins. YSU led 20-0 late in the 3rd qtr. That loss cost YSU a Gateway Conference Championship, at least 1 home playoff game and possibly at least 2 home playoff games. Tressel's teams at OSU had a few of these losses as well. But, the vast majority of the time, when the clock hit 00:00, Tressel coached teams had more points scored than the opponent. Rarely was it pretty, but it was highly effective.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 09:13:56 PM »
I see a game that can go either way. Team making the fewest mistakes   will probably win. Toss up game.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
SIU 35
YSU 17

Although I'll be hoping that I'm wrong.  Will be listening or maybe watching online!!!  Good Luck YSU!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 10:25:58 AM »
SIU 35
YSU 17

Although I'll be hoping that I'm wrong.  Will be listening or maybe watching online!!!  Good Luck YSU!!!

I hope they don't quit like they did against SDSU. I was embarrassed to be a fan that day.

Definitely agree with you.