Author Topic: Beginning of the END?  (Read 13531 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Beginning of the END?
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:37:09 PM »
Where do we go from here and what can we expect moving forward? 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: Beginning of the END?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
I must apologize for the site being down, but I was tailgating all day and missed the issue. All the talk about how good WIU is ... bull crap. I thought if I slept on it, my outlook would change ...but it has not:

1. Their QB was big and slow. How was he not sacked 10 times? WIU left their left side opened and we took it EVERY TIME ...then their QB just handed off to #2, with our D-line at least 1 or 2 players short ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned.

2. How long have we been in this league now? So did no one think to tell the players how WIU plays? They have ALWAYS been low, mouthy, trained to play dirty with perfection. This is the best I have every seen them I mean they used to stick their hands up our players opened sleeves and hold them. Now they get inside the helmets and everything. Yet we retaliated ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned.

3. They watched the films from St. Francis & used the exact same plays and we fell for it again ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned. We pulled back on the punt & the guy ran a non-measured mile against us ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned. They ran a simple prep-school criss-cross against us in the end-zone ...and we sent 2 players into the middle & left a receive wide-open for the TD ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned.

I could go on all day. We were simply exposed for the crap team that we are yesterday. I see why Wolf wants to use two QB's for as good as Wells' arm is ...his footwork is equally non-existent.  Until thsi come ..if ever, we will have no run game without Nania in there. Before yesterday, the WIU QB was the lowest ranked starting QB in the conference & we make him look like an NFL star ...just as we have done for the past 4-seasons.

Yet we stand here and talk about a bad offense. I will point out, that we cam back from 17-down to take a short lead. We almost did it twice.

WIU coaches played our defense like a monkey attached to a grinder.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:16:05 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
Hard to argue with any of that IAA.

More of the same, year after year.

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 01:16:01 PM »
Just too sloppy... Not sure who you blame..  If they play a clean game we win easily.  So hard to blame the coaching strategy.  However undisciplined play can usually be blamed on poor preparation for the game...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 01:28:44 PM »
BTW. How come the fans were smart enough to clap their hands & try to throw WIU's timing off; yet none of the linebackers or players on the sidelines were told to do it? Such simple little things that make a difference in a ball game. Is that a penalty now? Possibly we were worried about it spooking our own?

Let's not forget how bad the officiating was. NO excuses, but they were very poor
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 02:17:51 PM by IAA Fan »

Spiderlegs

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
What's troubling is that aspects of last night's breakdown were evident even in the weenie games--lack of discipline, missed tackles, a running game that's easily stopped once the other team figures out its adjustments, poor clock management, players not knowing whether they were in or out of the game.  Even the fake punt! Seems like the coaching staff doesn't hold players accountable, and they seem to actually believe that beating up the weenie teams is a sign of their prowess. It may be time to hold the coaches accountable. Good news: If the rest of the season is like last night, W. can be dismissed without a buyout.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 04:07:16 PM »
It all looks different in the REAL games.

Offline seanbryan3

• Royal Penguin
  • 18 hours away and faithful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 04:57:32 PM »
Nice Post IAA Fan. Alot of undiscpline last night. Unfortunately now that game is behind us, and like my brother said today, it's time to focus on next week.
"Consistency is better than rare moments of greatness" Let's Go Guins!

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 05:20:02 PM »
Out coached? No question. Outmanned? Western's O-line took it to our D, and our defensive backfield? No improvement there and there won't be with the crew we have . Outplayed? I don't think we ever gave up, but we were certainly outsmarted. The fake punt comes to mind.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 05:37:07 PM »
Those of you who think we are going to win many more games are in dreamland.  I said during the weenie games if the mental mistakes and sloppy play was not cleaned up we would go 6-6 or worse 5-7.  News flash we're on track.  We should have beat Illinois.  Again mental errors cost that game.  We continued to make the same mistakes during the weenie games and now it is going to cost us in the league.  Hell, We made enough of the same mistakes in the Missouri St. game, but our defense didn't break.  S. Ill will eat our lunch if the  mental errors continue, and this team was not ready to play th is game yesterday.  That's on the coach.  This league is too tough to come out, drive down the field and only get a field goal.  W Ill took advantage, and set the tone for the rest of the game.  I see losses next week, SD St.  ND St. Ill St. and possibly Ind. St. if the sloppy play is not cleaned up.  Thoughts from an disgruntled fan.  Time to buckle up or you can write this season off next week.

Spiderlegs

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 06:52:03 PM »
Athletically YSU matches up nicely with SIU. SIU is more aggressive on the DL, but SIU has a weak secondary, and its passing game is not always sharp.  Some good throws, some aggressive DL play on the part of YSU and there is a chance for a win. I was startled how much the YSU defense fell apart after the MSU game, where it looked like it was finally coming together, but that's the history of W. teams--a couple big performances a year and collapsing when it counts. The possibility of a win next week is there, but it is hard to be optimistic when year after year W. teams don't learn from experience about what works and what doesn't work.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
I must apologize for the site being down, but I was tailgating all day and missed the issue. All the talk about how good WIU is ... bull crap. I thought if I slept on it, my outlook would change ...but it has not:

1. Their QB was big and slow. How was he not sacked 10 times? WIU left their left side opened and we took it EVERY TIME ...then their QB just handed off to #2, with our D-line at least 1 or 2 players short ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned.

2. How long have we been in this league now? So did no one think to tell the players how WIU plays? They have ALWAYS been low, mouthy, trained to play dirty with perfection. This is the best I have every seen them I mean they used to stick their hands up our players opened sleeves and hold them. Now they get inside the helmets and everything. Yet we retaliated ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned.

3. They watched the films from St. Francis & used the exact same plays and we fell for it again ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned. We pulled back on the punt & the guy ran a non-measured mile against us ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned. They ran a simple prep-school criss-cross against us in the end-zone ...and we sent 2 players into the middle & left a receive wide-open for the TD ...EXACTLY as the WIU coaches had planned.

I could go on all day. We were simply exposed for the crap team that we are yesterday. I see why Wolf wants to use two QB's for as good as Wells' arm is ...his footwork is equally non-existent.  Until thsi come ..if ever, we will have no run game without Nania in there. Before yesterday, the WIU QB was the lowest ranked starting QB in the conference & we make him look like an NFL star ...just as we have done for the past 4-seasons.

Yet we stand here and talk about a bad offense. I will point out, that we cam back from 17-down to take a short lead. We almost did it twice.

"IF" YSU's defense had any discipline at all they'd be ok. Special teams and an offense that can't get out of their way in the second half kills YSU.

Dan you never cease to amaze me  ;)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 07:42:29 PM by ysubigred »

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »

Did you just try to give the offense credit for what the defense did? if the offense plays better we dont need to come back from down 17.

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 07:09:53 PM »
BTW. How come the fans were smart enough to clap their hands & try to throw WIU's timing off; yet none of the linebackers or players on the sidelines were told to do it? Such simple little things that make a difference in a ball game. Is that a penalty now? Possibly we were worried about it spooking our own?

Let's not forget how bad the officiating was. NO excuses, but they were very poor

yes that is a penalty, been that way for a very long time now

ohiofootball

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2014, 08:20:03 PM »
Since when it is a penalty for players on the sidelines to wave their hands Jfootball? Were those the rules when you played in your flag football league?