Author Topic: YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE  (Read 45310 times)

Lets_Talk

Re: YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2014, 08:21:41 PM »
I couldn't care less if Tressel has a Doctorate Degree. I stated so on SEVERAL occasions back when the process of hiring new President was being discussed. I said Tressel was the best person for the job among those who applied. Then, hire as highly qualified a person as possible as the Provost. I have no idea why some people on this board, yourself included, seem to feel a need to make ASSUMPTIONS about other's who post on this site.

I'm not sure why it is so hard for you to understand the points I am trying to make, or why you are so defensive toward YSU. Did you not read where I wrote that I'm a graduate of YSU? Do you realize I went to YSU by CHOICE, not because it was my only option? That I returned to YSU 6 years after earning my Business Administration Degree to pursue teacher certification in Elementary Education? I'm proud to have graduated from YSU, but I'm not so proud as to overlook the deficiencies of the University. The PERCEPTION(right or wrong) is that YSU is not as good of a school academically as those in the MAC. If the Presidents of the MAC voted to allow YSU to join the conference for athletics, that would give the PERCEPTION that YSU is just as good as those in the MAC, both academically and athletically. That would make recruiting NON-ATHLETES who are interested in YSU more difficult for the schools in the MAC. I do not see why this is so hard to understand, or why it is so hard to understand that is the MAIN point I have been making in the past few posts?  ???

A degree from YSU is not going to open as many doors as a degree from a whole host of other schools. That is just reality. Does not necessarily mean a person cannot get a top quality education at YSU. Does not mean a graduate of YSU will not be as good or better of an employee as a person with a degree from the perceived higher prestige schools. It just means the degree is not going to carry as much weight with employer's as a degree from a whole host of other schools, especially the further one get's from Youngstown geographically.

The 4 year graduation rate as of 2013 was 10%, which is awful.... 6 year graduation rate 34% and 8 year graduation rate 39%. ALL of those numbers are unacceptable, and need to be addressed if the reputation of YSU is to improve. And, this is where EGCC comes into play. Several schools in the MAC have satellite campus. It is not uncommon for students to start out at a place such as Kent-Trumbull, and then after 1-2 years transfer to the main campus. Others are able to get the education/training they need at Kent-Trumbull.

YSU has a partnership with Eastern Gateway, and for the first time has started to move away from being an open admissions university. This is good for YSU. This is good for Eastern Gateway, and it is good for the ENTIRE Mahoning Valley. A 4 year college is not for everyone, but in today's economy, it is imperative that a person have some kind of post high school training. It can be in a skilled trade, computers, cutting hair or any number of things that do not require going to a traditional, 4 year college. And, as less students enter YSU needing to make up severe deficiencies from high school, or testing into remedial math and English, the retention rates ought to increase, as well as the graduation rates. Eastern Gateway is not a true satellite campus of YSU. But, the school does have partnerships with YSU. And, that is to the benefit of both schools. I know YSU has had plans to develop a Youngstown based Community College, just not sure if/when that is going to happen, or if it has happened, as I now live in in Las Vegas
Community College Education in the Mahoning Valley
http://www.ysu.edu/cc/

Again, this is not difficult to understand, and I'm not sure why it is taken as me demeaning YSU?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:05:02 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline coachtress

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »
Regarding the schedule and attendance. Did anyone catch a glimpse of the Pitt at FIU game today?  Stadium looked almost empty.  Official announced attendance was 10,147.  Pitt goes on the road to play in front of an announced 10 thousand.

Not they would ever (which they wouldn't) play at YSU, but I would think we could draw more than 10,147 actual fans in a game against Pitt (or any other FBS school)

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
Regarding the schedule and attendance. Did anyone catch a glimpse of the Pitt at FIU game today?  Stadium looked almost empty.  Official announced attendance was 10,147.  Pitt goes on the road to play in front of an announced 10 thousand.

Not they would ever (which they wouldn't) play at YSU, but I would think we could draw more than 10,147 actual fans in a game against Pitt (or any other FBS school)

Theres no reason they cant play here, PSU just played at Akron and Mizzou just played at Toledo.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
Those are all FBS teams.... Sorry but no FBS team is gonna play AT an FCS school.

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2014, 10:15:35 PM »
Those are all FBS teams.... Sorry but no FBS team is gonna play AT an FCS school.

Got any proof of that? No? didnt think so.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:16:09 PM by JFootball2 »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Scalzo had a good point in his article tonight: YSU and Western Illinois are the only MVFC teams to not play a full scholarship FCS team... But Western Illinois is playing 2 BIG 10 teams..... Sigh. But were gonna keep letting Strollo blow smoke out of his a$$

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »
Scalzo had a good point in his article tonight: YSU and Western Illinois are the only MVFC teams to not play a full scholarship FCS team... But Western Illinois is playing 2 BIG 10 teams..... Sigh. But were gonna keep letting Strollo blow smoke out of his a$$

you have to make those teams WANT to play you, i know this is the last year the B1G is playing FCS schools for example

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »

you have to make those teams WANT to play you, i know this is the last year the B1G is playing FCS schools for example

Your post is incoherent.

Offline JFootball2

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2014, 11:34:18 PM »

Your post is incoherent.

No its perfectly fine, you just have a YSU education

Lets_Talk

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2014, 11:44:31 PM »
PITT is NOT going to play at YSU. The attendance at the PITT-FIU game is irrelevant in regards to an FBS team playing at an FCS school. With a rare exception of a former FCS program transitioning to FBS, or a new FBS program with a schedule made years in advance, there is NO REASON for an FBS team to play at an FCS School. That would be the same as an FCS team playing at a D2 school.

I'd like to know what some of you are smoking, because I'd like to get my hands on that stuff. I'm serious. Whatever kind of wacky tobacky you are smoking, PLEASE send some my way. PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE!

As far as the MFVC, YSU is going to have their hands full with the conference. The only teams I have any confidence predicting YSU winning are against WIU and South Dakota, both at home. I'm going to predict 3-3 at the best in the other 6 games, with a high probability of 2-4

* NDSU is 3-0... Iowa State, beat Iowa today, and NDSU dominated Iowa State 34-14. NDSU also won at Weber State 24-7, and today beat Incarnate Word 58-0.
* Indiana State is 2-1 and won 27-20 today at Ball State. They also have a win over Tenn Tech(49-14), and a loss at Indiana(28-10)
* Illinois State is 2-0. They beat Miss Valley State 62-0 and today beat EIU 34-15
*SIU is 3-0... They have a Non D1 win, and wins at EIU(38-21) and today over SE Missouri 50-23
*SDSU is 2-1.. lost 38-18 at #24 Missouri... Beat Cal-Poly 44-18, and today won at Southern Utah 26-6
*Missouri State is 2-1... They beat North Dakota 38-0 today. They also have a 34-27 win at Northwestern State. The loss was 40-23 at Oklahoma State
* South Dakota 1-1, is trailing Montana 21-13 at Montana in the 4th qtr.... So far, their only win was over a non D2 team
* WIU has 2 wins over teams from the Pioneer and a 31-3 loss at Wisconsin. Although, they did beat Valpo 45-16 and Drake 38-13. Neither game was close, and at least against low level competition they have shown an ability to score plenty of points.

ALL of these teams have shown an ability to score points. Any team in the MVFC with an ability to score 30,40,50,60,70 points, even against a weak opponent is going to give YSU fits. All but SIU have played only FCE full scholly teams, or teams in FBS. All but ISU have won a game on the road. ISU has not yet played a road game.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2014, 11:45:31 PM »

Your post is incoherent.

No its perfectly fine, you just have a YSU education

You couldn't get a GED.  Turn your spell checker on so you can be understood and so you can spell your name.

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2014, 12:01:10 PM »
A college education is what you make of it. However, when searching on-line for Ohio schools for our son to apply to, including MAC and YSU, we could find no indication of any minimum GPA or ACT standard for admittance to YSU. That was an eye-opener for me. They have "conditional admission" for those with below a 2.0 in high school. Sorry, those people do not belong at any college. Until the remedial kids get funneled to community college and there is an admission standard, the perception will be the reality for some. They are on the right track by pushing people to EGCC and away. That is what will change the perception.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
EGCC needs to be an extension of YSU or be shut down. The VoTech is right next door. Should be Tressel's first priority as President. This community is too small to support two colleges.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2014, 03:43:21 PM »
For all the hoopla about playing these lower level FCS schools, at least we aren't playing (and losing to) D2 schools. Sam Houston State, ranked one spot ahead of us at #15, got absolutely embarrassed yesterday by Division 2 Colorado State - Pueblo by the final score 47-21.

Oh yeah, this is a SHSU team that finished 8-4 like us last year but made it into the playoffs.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »
For all the hoopla about playing these lower level FCS schools, at least we aren't playing (and losing to) D2 schools. Sam Houston State, ranked one spot ahead of us at #15, got absolutely embarrassed yesterday by Division 2 Colorado State - Pueblo by the final score 47-21.

Oh yeah, this is a SHSU team that finished 8-4 like us last year but made it into the playoffs.

We had more division 1 wins than them and they were picked over us