Author Topic: YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE  (Read 44896 times)

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU FOOTBALL SCHEDULE
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 07:47:58 PM »
Turning out to be a nice thread, some good post on all sides.

1AA, I agree about the mac schools and a 1 on 1. And yes I would not trust them so either they play here first, which I doubt would ever happen, or have an ironclad contract with a really high buyout clause.

Most of the mac would not be interested in playing us but our fans would love to play some "local" schools. kent and akron would have their largest crowd of the year if they played us, but if they would lose to us it would sure hurt their recruiting.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 07:57:28 PM »
I just don't see how Akron or Kent benefit from playing us. Think about it... We would be competitive the whole game, and could definitely beat them.... The schools are so close apart, that a W for YSU would benefit recruiting greatly. There is no incentive for those schools to play us.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 10:57:23 PM »
Don't worry about the playoffs this year YSU is not going to have enough wins, 7 will not get it done.  Worse yet, 6-6,

ValleyTalk

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 07:18:26 AM »
I just don't see how Akron or Kent benefit from playing us. Think about it... We would be competitive the whole game, and could definitely beat them.... The schools are so close apart, that a W for YSU would benefit recruiting greatly. There is no incentive for those schools to play us.
Go to an Akron and/or Kent game and see the number of butts in the seats. Akron builds a brand new stadium and HS games at Infocision get more fans than them.

We could easily bring 8-10k to one of these games, if not more, during a solid season.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 09:32:03 AM »
Given the comments made by the AD this week, it does not appear YSU will be scheduling a 2nd FBS game anytime in the near future. But, this is an interesting discussion, has been a good thread, and we all know people in the Athletic Department at YSU(not the AD, but others) read this site. As do members of the media. So, who knows what might happen going forward with the scheduling. To me, that alone is reason to keep this thread going.

As far as games against teams in the MAC, I believe KENT would be willing to play YSU at Kent. Not so sure about Akron? However, with Tressel as President at YSU after spending a few years at YSU, the friction that seemed to arise in the 90's might well be able to repaired.

I do not buy the whole MAC schools being afraid of playing YSU theory. FCS schools rarely beat FBS schools. The same way YSU has never lost to a D2 school since moving to 1AA/FCS. Another thing to consider is MAC schools appear to pay in the $150,000-$250,000 range from what I have been able to find out. Since there are several schools close enough for YSU to go by bus, travel costs would be lessened. But, I do not think a game against a MAC team makes sense unless receiving a guarantee of at least $250,000. Also, I do not think 8,000-10,000 YSU fans would attend a game at KENT or Akron. I attended all but 2 of the YSU-Akron/KENT road games from 87-2003. I missed games at Akron in 92 and 95. Not sure there were ever 10,000 YSU fans at any of those games. Might have been 5,000 - 7,000 for a few of the games at KENT(95, 00 and 03), but not 10,000. And, the games at Akron, it's doubtful there were much more than 10,000 people in the stadium for any of those games.

There is a webpage dedicated to football schedules for FBS schools. They have schedules for the NFL too, but the site is primarily for FBS schedules. Both Akron and Kent already have FCS opponents scheduled for 2015. Akron is playing Savannah State, and Kent is playing Coastal Carolina. Akron has VMI on their 2016 schedule. To date, Kent does not have an FCS opponent scheduled for 2016.
http://www.fbschedules.com/

YSU is 20-27-1 all time against FBS schools. 7 of those wins came against Akron(7-1-1),  HUGE reason Akron ended the series. Sadly, Akron football has never recovered from forcing Jim Dennison out after the 85 season in order to hire Gerry Faust. The only other MAC team YSU has a winning record against is OU(2-0). They won at YSU in 90, and at OU in 92. Both of those OU teams were terrible, especially the 1990 team.
YSU records against current MAC teams other than Akron:
KENT 4-4 (2-0 at home, 2-4 at KENT)
EMU 2-5
WMU 1-1
CMU 1-1
BG 1-1
OU: 2-0
TOTAL: 11-12
That makes YSU 13-26 against FBS teams other than Akron and 2-14 against non MAC schools.

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2014, 10:17:20 AM »
l I do not think 8,000-10,000 YSU fans would attend a game at KENT or Akron.

Especially since we hardly get half of that at the home games. <sigh> Whatever happened to the days of Phantom Fireworks putting on a show afterwards (almost guarantees rain) and some of the other game day promotions?  I thought that helped get the students and locals to attend.

Should be good football weather tomorrow.  Packing now - GO GUINS

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2014, 04:13:41 PM »
Good point on the $250k Talk ...I agree and would not support a game at Akron or Kent without a return. A home game against either (especially Akron) used to be a guaranteed sellout (all be it in a 16k stadium). Also we would easily put as many fans in their stadiums as their own fans ...maybe more ...it is hard to say how much this would be today.

My guess would be the initial game at Akron would be a huge affair, with Infocision Stadium being packed and dominated by Red & White. A game at Kent will always bring many YSU fans because of proximity.

Here is the way it is though: with local/regional coverage of YSU's success against the MAC, combined with the national media mockery of the MAC ...a move to the conference by YSU no longer makes sense. MAC membership has become a topic of conversation during recent years because we have had no post-season. (and the conversation needs to be had, as if we are going to play games with only a regular-season, why not play teams fans know?) However, the first time a Penguin player places a national championship trophy over his head once again ...the MAC would be lucky to qualify as an afterthought in the minds of the Guin faithful. Additionally, YSU fans are fickled.  Once they get a move to the MAC, we will wonder why a larger conference is not courting us.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:22:39 PM by IAA Fan »

Lets_Talk

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2014, 06:40:03 PM »
YSU does not have the financial resources to join the MAC. That was the #1 thing that kept them from being admitted to the conference back in 1995. Despite what many want to believe, it was NOT Akron and KENT fearing YSU. It was YSU not having an athletic budget that meant the minimum required by the MAC, and then President, Les Cochran not being willing to commit to such a budget. Joining the MAC would be nice since the schools are in the same geographic area as YSU. There are alot of natural rivalries. But, YSU just does not have the money.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2014, 07:37:26 PM »
YSU does not have the financial resources to join the MAC. That was the #1 thing that kept them from being admitted to the conference back in 1995. Despite what many want to believe, it was NOT Akron and KENT fearing YSU. It was YSU not having an athletic budget that meant the minimum required by the MAC, and then President, Les Cochran not being willing to commit to such a budget. Joining the MAC would be nice since the schools are in the same geographic area as YSU. There are alot of natural rivalries. But, YSU just does not have the money.

Yep, that ship has sailed. If YSU can't afford to lose money from a weenie "home game" during the season, they can't afford to join the MAC.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2014, 08:29:52 PM »
Agreed Let's talk...all I am doing is adding a non-financial reason why the MAC makes no sense. Besides just how much life do you think the conference has left in it? It is on a respirator now.

but don't kid yourself on the first MAC move. The Athletic Department at YSU was asked almost annually if they would be willing to join the MAC ...IF NEEDED. I was in those meetings for over 10-years when the AC took the votes to be ready if they were indeed asked ...The vote to join was ALWAYS a unanimous yes ...with the exception of the two academics ...which knew the consequences of a "no" vote so they did not show up for the vote.

I thought it was 93 or 94, but yes there was one year where they actually offered and signed an agreement to admit YSU. The contract had a deadline for ratification of midnight on a certain date (which escapes me) 30-days after the counter-signature. I was there with my father (he could not drive) and we all waited. The MAC reneged with less that 1-hour to go. Although Akron and Kent cast the negative votes; they were not the instigators.

It was YSU that requested the results of the vote (2 schools had to vote "no"). There were two (2) NO votes cast ...Kent and Akron. You may recall the war of words and accusations that followed ...including accusations of Tressel stealing 2 recruits from Akron. Remember how upset Cochran was? Remember how quickly Akron was dropped from every schedule we had & for a while on every sport? Believe it or not, those were great times in YSU sports history.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 08:38:40 AM »
1AA fan, I have no doubt the there may have been UNIVERSITY PRESIDENTS at MAC schools who did not want YSU to join the conference. But, it had nothing to do with fearing YSU in athletics. Rather, it allows the MAC Presidents to deem themselves as superior academic institutions to YSU. It's the same reason a school such as CSU or Wright State would never get admitted. Yes, I know they do not play football. But, the MAC has not had any issues with allowing Temple and UMASS into the conference for football only.

As for Cochran being irate about the decision, I do not recall that happening. I do recall Dr. Cochran being unwilling to guarantee YSU would increase their athletic budget. Les did some positive things for YSU, but he also did plenty of negatives. And, he was good at feigning outrage, or whatever else he needed to feign to convince people in the Ytown area he was looking out for the best interest of the school.

If you were on campus during the Cochran era, and talked to faculty, staff and students, you would know this to be true. I was a post-grad student in 97-98 at YSU. I worked on campus. And, trust me, when Cochran announced he was leaving, the consensus opinion was don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I would just like the talk about YSU in the MAC madness to stop once and for all. Yes, the YSU-Akron rivalry was a great one. And, the schools now play in almost every sport but football and men's basketball. I know the reason Slocum and Strollo give for the teams no longer playing in men's basketball. I think it is total BS. Akron dominated the series when the teams resumed playing. Slocum is o fir his career at YSU against Akron. The Zips program is well ahead of YSU. They do not need to play YSU in basketball. And, I do not understand why YSU cannot go and play at Akron. Beat the Zips in basketball, and then maybe YSU can demand Akron play at YSU.

As for football, Akron is having no problem scheduling an FCS opponent each year, and I see no reason why ANT team in FBS ought to play at an FCS school. That would be akin to YSU playing at a D2 school, which is not going to happen in football or basketball.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:15:47 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2014, 09:33:46 AM »
YSU is an ABET accredited state institution.  YSU's undergraduate engineering program is ranked 45 out of 200+ institutions world wide.   The undergraduate chemistry program feeds Emory University graduate programs.  I believe that there are more YSU graduates in Emory's graduate and post graduate chemistry program than any other school.

I hear that the education and physical therapy programs are also good.

I am sick of hearing the nonsense that YSU is not up to par academically.   You are probably getting your misinformation from the liberal arts morons that got their degrees from Kent read, Kent write, Kent State and Kent tailgate.

Every engineer I've ever worked with from Akron has been substandard. I would never hire an engineer from Akron or tOSU their undergraduate programs are not as good as YSU's. Kent doesn't have an engineering program.  I don't care what anyone says I have first hand experience with data to back it up.

YSU not being up to the standards of MAC schools is a perception issue not a reality. YSU is better than most other schools at getting their undergraduate students prepared to take productive tangible jobs that support industry and society; engineers,  chemists, physical therapists, school teachers etc... 

Kent makes writer's and architects.  The writers contribute nothing and the architects have to get their drawings approved by YSU professional engieers because the architect's watered down undergraduate mathematics doesn't allow him to fully understand static and dynamic loads and that makes it illegal for him to stamp his drawings.  What is that worth?  A half of a degree?  You can't do anything with that if you wanted to be an entrepreneur; you would have to hire someone to approve your designs.

I am using engineering as my example because I am one but I bet you could find others in the fields I've named above here that could bring about similar points. 

If you want to be a writer or an English major you basically have to get a graduate or post graduate degree in order to find  employment. A liberal arts degree is about as valuable as the piece of paper it is written on.  With an undergraduate degree from Kent you can get a nice position in fast food. Want fries with that?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:37:21 AM by penguinpower »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
On the matter of academics, I invite everybody to read a book by Murray Sperber, BEER AND CIRCUS: HOW BIG-TIME SPORTS IS CRIPPLING UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION.  Sperber was the Indiana professor who stood up to that blowhard Bobby Knight.  You will be shocked at how bad undergraduate education is at many "big name" schools and, by comparison, you will be very proud of your YSU degree.

On the matter of future football schedules, it seems to me that we are assuming that the composition of Division I football will remain the same.  I am not so sure.  The "Power 5" have already negotiated virtual autonomy within the NCAA.  Those schools will not stop there.  They will soon pay their jocks, first in disguised form through their "full cost of attendance" gimmick.  They will soon leave the "wannabe" FBS programs in the dust.

When that separation between the Power 5 and everybody else in FBS becomes crystal clear, will the NCAA continue to operate with five football divisions (Power 5, rest of FBS, FCS, D2, and D3?)  Or will they consolidate into four (Power 5, D1, D2, and D3?)  Remember that FCS can now outvote the FBS wannabes.  I project that the NCAA will make that consolidation and then reduce scholarships in D1 to 63 and give every D1 football conference the choice of participation in the playoffs or seeking berths in the Clorox Toilet bowls.  Best policy for YSU right now is to fix the darn football program and then sit back and wait until this all unfolds.

Lets_Talk

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
Penguinpower, I never said YSU is inferior to MAC schools academically. The point I was making, is if YSU is in the MAC for athletics, then it becomes much harder to make the claim YSU is not on equal footing with those schools academically. Remember, it is the University Presidents that vote on admitting schools to a conference, not the coach's or AD's. The same is true when a school decides to leave one conference for another. Yes, coach's and AD's might have input, but the final decision is made by the University President, with the support of the Board of Trustees.

I'm a graduate of YSU. It is a good school. It is better for some areas of study than others, as is true of most Public Schools. With YSU no longer admitting every high school grad from Ohio that applies, and instead having those students steered toward EGCC, that ought to help retention rates for YSU. At the same time, people who need to make up deficiencies from high school, or spend the first 1-2 years taking remedial classes that do not count toward graduation, will have a place to do so. And, it is a place where they do not have to deal with feeling inferior.

Wick250, I agree with you on FBS. I do not think we have seen the end of the changes. Big 12 only has 10 schools. PAC 12 is at 12. Model for "power 5" conferences now seems to be at least 14 schools. And, there is still a possibility the power 5 could break away from the NCAA altogether, or as you stated, the NCAA deem the "power 5" as their own division for football.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:21:19 PM by Lets_Talk »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
Penguinpower, I never said YSU is inferior to MAC schools academically. The point I was making, is if YSU is in then MAC for athletics, then it becomes much harder to make the claim YSU is not on equal footing with those schools academically. Remember, it is the University Presidents that vote on admitting schools to a conference, not the coach's or AD's. The same is true when a school decides to leave one conference for another. Yes, coach's and AD's might have input, but the final decision is made by the University President, with the support of the Board of Trustees.

I'm a graduate of YSU. It is a good school. It is better for some areas of study than others, as is true of most Public Schools. With YSU no longer admitting every high school grad from Ohio that applies, and instead having those students steered toward EGCC, that ought to help retention rates for YSU. At the same time, people who need to make up deficiencies from high school, or spend the first 1-2 years taking remedial classes that do not count toward graduation, will have a place to do so. And, it is a place where they do not have to deal with feeling inferior.

Wick250, I agree with you on FBS. I do not think we have seen the end of the changes. Big 12 only has 10 schools. PAC 12 is at 12. Model for "power 5" conferences now seems to be at least 14 schools. And, there is still a possibility the power 5 could break away from the NCAA altogether, or as you stated, the NCAA deem the "power 5" as their own division for football.

To your  it probably doesn't help us the fact that Tressel doesn't have a doctorate degree. 

But at the end of the day running YSU is not much different than running a business that is regulated by government. There are a lot of moving parts.  Financial, compliance Human resources, marketing and public relations, demographics are similar except YSU fields multiple sports teams.
Just because you have a PhD doesn't mean you can do it better.  YSU needs to change its image among the other presidents.