Author Topic: Duquesne Game  (Read 16879 times)

Spiderlegs

Re: Duquesne Game
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 07:03:22 PM »
I want to raise the point of the lack of discipline seen from the Penguins versus Duquesne.  Here's some examples:

(1) Too many off-the-ball penalties, a couple of which set up scoring opportunities for the Dukes. A discipline team has self control.
(2) Poor calling of timeouts, due partially to players who didn't know what they were supposed to do.
(3) Problems defending kick returns.  Usually this is a lack of discipline, i.e., players leaving their lanes.

A well coached team doesn't make these mistakes.  Makes you wonder what they do in practice.

Also, Childs is playing too deep. W. actually defended him saying that playing behind the WR keeps the opponents from getting a big play. However, Childs is so far off the receiver that he can't defend short and intermediate range passes. This is coaching--Childs has been playing the position long enough he should know what to do. You could predict

By the way, we lucked out.  Three of Duquesne's first four possessions in the first quarter ended with a third-down play in which the QB did not connect with an open receiver. Those mistakes disappeared in the second half. If Duquesne had connected in first quarter, the outcome would have been very different.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne Game
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »
I want to raise the point of the lack of discipline seen from the Penguins versus Duquesne.  Here's some examples:

(1) Too many off-the-ball penalties, a couple of which set up scoring opportunities for the Dukes. A discipline team has self control.
(2) Poor calling of timeouts, due partially to players who didn't know what they were supposed to do.
(3) Problems defending kick returns.  Usually this is a lack of discipline, i.e., players leaving their lanes.

A well coached team doesn't make these mistakes.  Makes you wonder what they do in practice.

Also, Childs is playing too deep. W. actually defended him saying that playing behind the WR keeps the opponents from getting a big play. However, Childs is so far off the receiver that he can't defend short and intermediate range passes. This is coaching--Childs has been playing the position long enough he should know what to do. You could predict

By the way, we lucked out.  Three of Duquesne's first four possessions in the first quarter ended with a third-down play in which the QB did not connect with an open receiver. Those mistakes disappeared in the second half. If Duquesne had connected in first quarter, the outcome would have been very different.

Childs plays off because if he plays press, he gets beat..... Every. Single. Time.