Author Topic: Duquesne Game  (Read 16878 times)

ValleyTalk

Re: Duquesne Game
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 10:45:08 PM »
YSU 38
Duquesne 10

Defense shows up.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
We are way bigger and faster than Duquesne.

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2014, 06:06:04 PM »
Did you think we wouldn't be?  Watching paint dry would be more exciting.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2014, 06:16:48 PM »
They gave Buffalo a game so I wasn't sure. .....hence the reason the games are played

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2014, 07:09:50 PM »
The team we had in the first quarter was way superior to the one we put in in the fourth! ::) What a sloppy effort. VERY disappointing!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2014, 07:14:51 PM »
What a nightmare game, wow. Get ready Mr. Wells, yikes.....

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2014, 07:36:31 PM »
9-3?  I'm thinking MAYBE 7-5.  I'm at a loss for words with the teams of the last 4+ years.  I just don't understand!!!

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2014, 07:43:22 PM »
7-5 sounds about right. Word is that Nania has a sprained right ankle. The offense is so predictable, the defense plays well for stretches but still has breakdowns due to #1 and #8 in the secondary. Sick of watching those guys get toasted game after game and being out of position.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2014, 07:46:14 PM »
0505...I've wondered for 2 years now why #1 is even on the field.  He does do one thing with great consistency......gets burned.  I'm not convinced this team will even sniff the playoffs this year.  I know, I know...it is early.  But wasn't this a "weenie" game???  Yep, they gave Buffalo a run for their money too.  YSU is up 28-0 at one point.  Then all hell breaks loose...UGH.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
Strickland is out for the 1st half next week because of the punch he threw. Better get these injuries healed up...... Nate Dortch, Childs, Eric Thompson AND DJ Thomas all injured, all defensive backs.... Wolf also said transfer Kenneth Durden from South Florida cannot play right now because of transfer paper issues from USF. We need him asap

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 11:53:28 PM »
The "weenie" game  was the first half.  I have no idea who played the second half. Also that was the worst home opener crowd I've ever seen here.  Lots  of thoughts on this  game and they are all bad, lol.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2014, 12:16:45 AM »
During his tenure here, Wofford has done, for the most part, an excellent job with scouting and game preparation.  We have played some very good first halves.  Then that evil thing happens....it is called halftime.  Is there a worse game day coach in this country than Wofford?  Does any coach make worse halftime adjustments, or fail to anticipate the changes that our opponents will throw at us when play resumes?  Does any coach do a worse job at forcing his players to remain focused and motivated when we are ahead?  It is a darned shame too.  I had hoped that as he entered his fifth season as a head coach Wofford would improve in these essential features.  No such luck.

Offline #1 Tailgater

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »
Listen he is not a head coach for many reasons.  I will give him credit on recruiting good talent and getting ready for a game, but you have to play 4 qtrs and play and act like  a team all the time.  His sideline behavior is an embarrassment not to mention his time management (lack of).  I hope for 8-4 but think 7-5 is more like it.  Pay him the 100K buyout and send him back to the SEC.  We wont miss his family tailgating in M24, that's for sure.  They act like they own the place.  He had 5 years and the team isn't any better.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2014, 10:53:04 AM »
Issue at hand is complacency. Why on earth did we become so complacent up 28-0? That one falls on the coaches. They knew Duquesne came back last week down 21-0 and they knew Duquesne came back last year after we went up big.

I'm not happy with the performance, but the first quarter showed our potential, which is we can be pretty darn good. The final three quarters proved that you CANNOT play down to your opponents level like we did. It is a theme under Wolford of playing up (Illinois) or down (Duquesne) to your opponent.

I was with a former player who won a title in the 90s and even he sensed the crowd and the bench become way too relaxed and complacent early in the 2nd quarter.

As coaches, you need to light a fire under your players when you go up big. They did the exact opposite.

They better address this complacency issue over these next two weeks because the Valley looks very good this year. Thus far we are undefeated against FCS teams.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »
Everyone needs to understand that these 3 "weenie" games are the EASIEST ones on the schedule. Next week its non-scholly Butler who struggled to beat D-III Wittenberg 22-16. Duquesne should have been a cake walk and the opening half at 31-7 was the evidence.

I have already said YSU will look good in beating these 3 teams, but only from a winning standpoint. The warts are going to show even as we win and I'm afraid the MVFC will be salivating again for penguin steak. Other teams will see what we see, even though they are trying not to open the playbook and expose all the O & D.

I thought the play calling was atrocious the second half and not an improvement in the Dukes  D. Conversely, our D was exposed with the flaws in the secondary flashing ugly. All this against what should have been a cupcake game. Not a good omen.