Author Topic: Duquesne Game  (Read 16874 times)

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Duquesne Game
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:11:59 PM »
I'm looking for a close game on Saturday. Duquesne gave Buffalo a run for their money and Buffalo is a top MAC football team. They kept it close with us last year until about late in the 3rd qtr. I really want to see improvement from Nania and the passing game but who knows. Here's to hoping our defense can continue on the good fortune they had last week...

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: Duquesne Game
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 12:45:02 PM »
Yep, it was 59-17. We were really sweating it. They even were Co-Champs in their league .

Offline ScarletRook

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:53:58 PM »
Trying to remember - was it last year's Duquense game that we got burned so bad by the slant passes? <I know, it wasn't the only game>   I would think that style of quick drop and pass out of the shotgun would be very difficult to attack with just our front 4.  At least on LB's aren't playing 10 yards off the line of scrimmage this year.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:18:56 PM »
Duquesne is picked to finish 2nd behind Sacred Heart in the NEC this year. Buffalo was picked to finish 4th in the 7 team MAC East in 2014.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 02:25:43 PM »
Yep, it was 59-17. We were really sweating it. They even were Co-Champs in their league .

It was 24-14 late in the 3rd quarter... Like i said

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 02:27:42 PM »
Woulda been nice to have Boardman grad Zach Zidian on our D-Line.... 6-1, 325 DT. Exactly what we needed last year and continue to need. Always thought we missed out on him recruiting him outta high school. Guy dominated us last year before getting injured during the game.

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:26:29 PM »
I just dont think that they will be able to stop our running attack....pound pound pound with 4 different fresh backs and nania....time of possession will be really in our favor and when you can run it at them it takes the fight out of anyone. We did it to Illinois for the better part of the game. Thats why that moronic call on the fake punt/run was so costly...we shouldve just run it right at them or passed off of a play fake...that call basically turned the whole game around...I know folks wont want to hear it and I used to gripe about his conservative nature but we win the Illinois game with Tressel...no doubt in my mind

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »
05 This was a close one last year as you mentioned.   While we were up 24-0 at half...2 of our TD drives were 30 yards and 37 yards.  I can't recall if this was due to turnovers or poor Special Teams on Duquesne's end.  It quickly became 24-14 before we got up and running again late in the 3rd.

We had a great day running the football and held them to only 39 yards on 27 attempts.  However, they threw for 371 yards...far beyond what we should have allowed them.  During this game we also were still trying to determine our #1 RB.  Up to this point in the season carries had been split between Ruiz, Webb, Pace, Bellamy, etc. We now know our #1 and can utilize other RBs as needed.

No over looking and no let downs!

Z

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »
I just dont think that they will be able to stop our running attack....pound pound pound with 4 different fresh backs and nania....time of possession will be really in our favor and when you can run it at them it takes the fight out of anyone. We did it to Illinois for the better part of the game. Thats why that moronic call on the fake punt/run was so costly...we shouldve just run it right at them or passed off of a play fake...that call basically turned the whole game around...I know folks wont want to hear it and I used to gripe about his conservative nature but we win the Illinois game with Tressel...no doubt in my mind
Wolf is just not a good game manager. Calling early timeouts and making wrong decisions on plays and strategy. Beside the butt punt, i recall that he called a timeout to set up the defense for one of the Illinois plays. The result was a blown coverage in the secondary resulting in a TD. Call a timeout to set up that defense.....are you kidding me?

The young Illinois QB was having a difficult time (afraid to make mistakes) throwing passes close to their goal line.

If we would have punted the ball pinning them deep near the goal line, they might not have scored the TD. We gave them the ball at our 25 yard line. The QB was more comfortable in passing the ball near the red zone. The rest is history.....

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 04:16:19 PM »
If you took a SERIOUS look at last years game, they (YSU) played EVERYONE. The game was never in doubt.  EVER !We had 3rd string moving the ball on their  1st team.  The weenie games were the ONLY games many of the players got into last year. Check Bios if you don't believe it. The first team played sparingly the second half.

Don't make Duquesne out to be the second coming of Goliath. They'll fall easy enough without being blown up like some Thanksgiving Day Parade  balloon.

They'll be in this game till the coin flip !  ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:17:57 PM by paladin »

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 05:58:22 PM »
I cant imagine that they have the depth to deal with 2 physical games back-to-back?  No doubt they will come to play as its a BIG game for them. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 06:24:49 PM »
I cant imagine that they have the depth to deal with 2 physical games back-to-back?  No doubt they will come to play as its a BIG game for them.
i am sure they will throw the ball to take advantage of our poor secondary especially with the crossing pattern which our safeties have never able to read or cover.

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »
YSU  38

Dukes  21

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 02:19:41 PM »
YSU 31

Dukes 17

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 02:39:44 PM »
Well... you both have it at a tighter game than Vegas (YSU -21).

The weather forecast keeps getting better.

I'd like to think that we can reach 300 yards rushing and not give up 300 yards passing.

Z