Author Topic: Ateendance for SDSU game  (Read 12767 times)

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Ateendance for SDSU game
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
The weather for Saturday's game is supposed to be in the 30's with rain, so how many fans can we expect to be there for this pivotal game? A few thousand like the WIU game? or 10,000 or more?  I don't understand why people don't show up when it is co0ld or raining.  it doesn't matter if it is cold or raining in Columbus, people still show in force for Ohio State.

I get tired of the excuses people give for not going to YSU games.  I also get tired of hearing how much people in the Mahoning valley love football. if they did we would sell out stambaugh every week. I don't know why YSU football means less to this community than Ohio sate means to Columbus.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Ateendance for SDSU game
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:13:50 AM »
well said Ray....I hope people come out for this....will be very exciting to see these guys fight there way in for a playoff spot...

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:27:22 AM »
The fans should come out.... But they won't. If we only got 13K last week with perfect weather conditions and the #1 team n the nation coming in, and Tressel being inducted, then I expect 8-9K Saturday..... Hope I'm wrong.

Offline JP21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 11:40:04 AM »
It's embarassing that people don't attend games. Enough said!!!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 12:44:42 PM »
I hope they stay home and we have 5000 loud, true, rowdy, fans than the hand sitters, crocheting crowd...its called reverse psychology...lets get the "Stay Home" Campaign going....
THE DRIVE FOR 5

ValleyTalk

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
It is going to be 35 with snow, not rain my friend. Should be a fun environment with a smaller, yet more dedicated base of fans in attendance.

I will be there making plenty of noise! The Ice Castle with snow!

My guess is 9k sold, 5k actually there. And this is coming from someone who is usually pretty optimistic about attendance.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:58:25 PM by ValleyTalk »

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 01:01:14 PM »
Another big factor for low attendance that doesn't get talked about much is that YSU is a commuter school. If most kids lived on campus you would probably get 5000 more fans each game.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 01:15:56 PM »
ValleyTalk - I hate to say it but I agree....over under is 5,000 fans for Sat...support for this team is laughable...this is a pretty good team...can see them easily getting through the first few rounds of the play-offs....I personally think we will crush the rabbits on Sat....

Ray - not buying that....these kids commute from towns very close to campus...no excuse for students not coming out to games...

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
I have seemed to have lost the link for the current year attendance, however in 2012 YSU was 17th in total attendance in the 1-AA. 
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2012.pdf
Now, take out Appy St. and Old Dominion, both transfering to 1-A and we are up to 15th on the list.  Some of these teams actual attendance is closer to the actual at the game.  However, I would tend to think that many 1-AA schools have similar issues with attendance. 

I agree as a commuter school you are losing out on attendance at the game.  Even with free student tickets, it does not bring them here.  While I think your 5,000 in seats and 9,000 announced is likely, I'll bet the over on the announced.

Z

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »
5,000 actual will show unless weather gets bad. :(

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »
I am all for snow ...it is the cold rain that I can do without. Give me dry or snow ...nothing else.

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 03:47:55 PM »
Planning on the first real "Ice Castle" in awhile!

Z

Offline KilrpengWin

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 04:18:48 PM »
Does anyone know what the average attendance was back in Beede's day? And keep in mind we were a much bigger city then.  Anyway, the days when tressel brought them in is long gone. No 12th man to fire up the penguins anymore. I'll be there though.....

ValleyTalk

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »
Does anyone know what the average attendance was back in Beede's day? And keep in mind we were a much bigger city then.  Anyway, the days when tressel brought them in is long gone. No 12th man to fire up the penguins anymore. I'll be there though.....
City was larger, but the Valley as a whole still was over 500,000, just like it is now.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 05:54:29 PM »

Attendance was huge in the 30's & 40's ...new program ...over 10k. By late 40's up to the move to Sambaugh, we went from 2k (back at the old Cambell Stadium) up to about 7.5k. I have the numbers, I will look for them and post.