Author Topic: South Dakota State  (Read 28665 times)

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota State
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
Season isn't over yet, but heres my take --

the talent level here has improved dramatically, especially in the skill positions on O --WRs, RBs, TEs and ONE QB. The OL is short some players. On D, we have lots of average or better LBs and a couple of DBs but we are woeful on the DL and a couple of DB positions. And, with the talent, the team is improved over the mess that was here under the last coach. Trouble is, the MVFC is one tough mother with several very good teams and lots of parity. I had YSU ranked for two years in a row with the #1 recruiting classes in the MVFC. They are still here. If YSU had better DL, we wouldn't be having this conversation because we would be a Top 10 team and extremely dominant, yes even living with the average LBs and lacking a complete good secondary. Next year is a problem with no really good QB coming back.  But presently, I still believe YSU is in the playoffs with 8 wins. I expect a win Saturdady for a 9-3 season. Might win one or two playoff games, but don't see a deep run. And I know that's what everyone wants. Wolf was handed a broken program, ruined by poor recruiting by the previous coach. Each year we keep getting better while still managing   to lose one game that keeps YSU out of the playoffs. But its coming. If the recruitment improves on the D side as it has for the O, YSU is not far away from returning to the top of the heap. Like it or not, the strong suit for Wolf is recruiting. The dude flat out is bringing in much better players. Once the "cupboard" is stocked , and we aren't far out....... Katie bar the door. QB & DL is the real concern for next years recruiting .     The coaching here isn't bad and has been improved over what he started with. Upgrade some personnel and everyone will be smiling.

YSU handles SDS. Hess throws for 200 and Ruiz runs for over 100. The D does just enough for the O to win it.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:52:18 PM by paladin »

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Your definitely going to see a heavy dose of Ruiz this Saturday. Regardless of if Hess plays or not.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 02:33:07 PM »
Ruiz has a chance to be special.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
I do not see the improved talent-level at all. Certainly a "changed" talent level. We sacrificed at every position in order to make up what we wanted, the result was we did not get what we needed to compete in our conference.

Examples. We went for height in our lines, because we are not going to be able to get quality Big & Tall at our level. Wolf's predecessor would get a quality big and tall athlete and work extensively with him to make him a DLineman. Wolf does the same in his skill positions, but I do not see the coaching craftsmanship molding these guys in the stable positions. We are all speed in our RB's ...no sense of power outside of when Carson has the ball. Then he does not have years of experience reading gaps which is so pivotal to a FB. Look at Wolf chewing on Whery after the overthrow and INT by Garry. Now I did not hear it. Yes the WR should have turned his head once & knocked that corner into the cheap-seats. It is easy to say that, but difficult to do ...I am not convinced these things are taught.

Lets drop back to the UNI game ...our DLinemen were hitting so hard and low, that they had their heads down and missed the play because they had no idea where the ball was. However, it was the only way they could get any penetration. Again where is the strength to get off your block?

I still do not believe that we recruit (at least on defense) for this conference. This is why we all watch NDSU (a 100% YSU of old clone) and feel so bad. Again I decided to give Wolf a chance and even if we do have this change in style, I will accept it. However, we are not winning, so why accept it?

YSU local recruits are from 2 counties ...NDSU's locals include 2 states. You can argue that population is smaller all you want, but you are not going to see OSU or Michigan scouring the Dakotas. The Mahoning Valley is going to see recruiters from all big-6 conferences ...and down.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »
I do not see the improved talent-level at all. Certainly a "changed" talent level. We sacrificed at every position in order to make up what we wanted, the result was we did not get what we needed to compete in our conference.

Examples. We went for height in our lines, because we are not going to be able to get quality Big & Tall at our level. Wolf's predecessor would get a quality big and tall athlete and work extensively with him to make him a DLineman. Wolf does the same in his skill positions, but I do not see the coaching craftsmanship molding these guys in the stable positions. We are all speed in our RB's ...no sense of power outside of when Carson has the ball. Then he does not have years of experience reading gaps which is so pivotal to a FB. Look at Wolf chewing on Whery after the overthrow and INT by Garry. Now I did not hear it. Yes the WR should have turned his head once & knocked that corner into the cheap-seats. It is easy to say that, but difficult to do ...I am not convinced these things are taught.

Lets drop back to the UNI game ...our DLinemen were hitting so hard and low, that they had their heads down and missed the play because they had no idea where the ball was. However, it was the only way they could get any penetration. Again where is the strength to get off your block?

I still do not believe that we recruit (at least on defense) for this conference. This is why we all watch NDSU (a 100% YSU of old clone) and feel so bad. Again I decided to give Wolf a chance and even if we do have this change in style, I will accept it. However, we are not winning, so why accept it?

YSU local recruits are from 2 counties ...NDSU's locals include 2 states. You can argue that population is smaller all you want, but you are not going to see OSU or Michigan scouring the Dakotas. The Mahoning Valley is going to see recruiters from all big-6 conferences ...and down.

You've said everything I ever wanted to, but chickened out due to the possible backlash.  But I couldn't agree any less 1AA.  That's probably the best overall outlook of this football in 4 years. 

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 04:18:32 PM »

You've said everything I ever wanted to, but chickened out due to the possible backlash.  But I couldn't agree any less 1AA.  That's probably the best overall outlook of this football in 4 years.

??????
?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 04:20:47 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 04:24:17 PM »
Damn, I must be drunk.  I agree with everything he said. 

ValleyTalk

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »

Heacock's best years were when he first started using Tressel's recruits and when he took numerous I-A recruits for his 2005-2007 run...

If you only knew how he handled recruiting IAAFan... I played with some individuals recruited by him. They were not impressed with how he handled recruiting. I can say unequivocally the recruiting situation is NIGHT AND DAY better now than it was under him.

You can continue to defend Heacock, but he could not cut it as a head coach. He was a great defensive coordinator, but some folks cannot cut it as a head coach. Jon Heacock was one of them. He is a decent guy that did his best, but he could not recruit and he followed in the footsteps of a legend.

Offline rayI09

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 06:22:58 PM »
I painfully remember how hard it was too watch a penguin football game when Heacock was the coach.  No offense whatsoever. I would rather endure Chinese water torture than watch a Heacock coached team.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 07:28:57 PM »

Heacock's best years were when he first started using Tressel's recruits and when he took numerous I-A recruits for his 2005-2007 run...

If you only knew how he handled recruiting IAAFan... I played with some individuals recruited by him. They were not impressed with how he handled recruiting. I can say unequivocally the recruiting situation is NIGHT AND DAY better now than it was under him.

You can continue to defend Heacock, but he could not cut it as a head coach. He was a great defensive coordinator, but some folks cannot cut it as a head coach. Jon Heacock was one of them. He is a decent guy that did his best, but he could not recruit and he followed in the footsteps of a legend.

I thinl you are spot on with your anaylsis. Also it was more that he dreaded recruiting. It did not suit him. But his defenses were fan tastic for what he had to work with. If he has our players he still does better that what we are doing now.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:43 PM »
I painfully remember how hard it was too watch a penguin football game when Heacock was the coach.  No offense whatsoever. I would rather endure Chinese water torture than watch a Heacock coached team.

AMEN lol

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 08:51:57 PM »

In Heacock's defense "IF" he had the funds the Ad is pumping into the FB program plus /assistants the new facilities I think YSU would be in better shape right now. I don't like Wolford something is WRONG with him and I just can't put my finger on it. Is # 25 hurt? damn shame this kid gave 4 years and you don't even see him.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 08:56:54 PM »
Ruiz is clearly the best back. I say play the best player. This kid is going to be special.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 09:05:43 PM »

In Heacock's defense "IF" he had the funds the Ad is pumping into the FB program plus /assistants the new facilities I think YSU would be in better shape right now. I don't like Wolford something is WRONG with him and I just can't put my finger on it. Is # 25 hurt? damn shame this kid gave 4 years and you don't even see him.

Not so sure Heacock would have done any better with more money, I think he is a great guy and wanted it more than anyone could imagine but something just did not click with him, no confidence showed. Not saying Wolford is burning up the place either, he is more of a car salesman that could use a little more self-control and organization.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 09:06:18 PM »
Ruiz is clearly the best back. I say play the best player. This kid is going to be special.

Not saying #25 is better than #29.. I'm saying there has to be a role for #25 he is one hell of a blocking back on passes.