Author Topic: South Dakota State  (Read 28668 times)

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
South Dakota State
« on: November 17, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
Lets get ready...thoughts on this huge game?  Like I said in a previous post.  We need to stop the run against this team which means being able to lock up man on the corners and TE and send the house.  If we go down we go down aggressive.  Get Hess healthy or shoot him up...he needs to be able to play and we need to protect him.  Get the running game going and keep Zenner off the field with ball control and long drives.  Now is the time to go to the back pages of the playbook...

GO GUINS
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Spiderlegs

Re: South Dakota State
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 03:29:25 PM »
I don't see YSU winning next week. SDSU is rising, and YSU is declining. After the NDSU game, YSU comments emphasized things like we played well under the circumstances and we lost a game we should have won. Poppycock. The defensive tackling was horrible, and Nania was not prepared to replace Hess even though Hess had a lingering injury. This denial of a problem was the kind of language we heard in last October's meltdown--the team had to lose four games before it realized that it was in serious trouble. Given the frame of mind, I don't see YSU winning the upcoming game, and destiny will be placed in the hands of the selection committee. Hope I'm wrong--hope this team pulls it together for one more game--YSU shows off a lot of talent displayed when it remains disciplined.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 03:46:36 PM »
I don't see YSU winning next week. SDSU is rising, and YSU is declining. After the NDSU game, YSU comments emphasized things like we played well under the circumstances and we lost a game we should have won. Poppycock. The defensive tackling was horrible, and Nania was not prepared to replace Hess even though Hess had a lingering injury. This denial of a problem was the kind of language we heard in last October's meltdown--the team had to lose four games before it realized that it was in serious trouble. Given the frame of mind, I don't see YSU winning the upcoming game, and destiny will be placed in the hands of the selection committee. Hope I'm wrong--hope this team pulls it together for one more game--YSU shows off a lot of talent displayed when it remains disciplined.

I felt that nania was well prepared, he is just not as comfortable and he runs when he gets pressure. There were no bad hand off or anything.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 03:50:46 PM »
Hess has to play. It's sad but our offense relies on Kurt. Your gonna see a big dose of running in this game. Get ready Martin!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 04:24:20 PM »
Hess has to play. It's sad but our offense relies on Kurt. Your gonna see a big dose of running in this game. Get ready Martin!

Ruiz is a stud.

Offline letsgoguins

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
Establish our run game early, then setup the pass. Protect Hess like there is no tomorrow.

Strive to keep their rushing attack at bay.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »
Run the ball and throw to the TE's. That is what we need to do. ALL DAY LONG.

On defense We need to wacth for them to release their TE's because our lLB's will probably try to stop the run and the TE's can slip behind them. We need to do a better job here next week. Ndsu exploited this.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
Most important game of the Eric Wolford era. Win and take another step forward in terms of where our program is. Making the playoffs also is a huge plus in terms of recruiting and extra publicity come playoff time. A loss, which could mean no playoffs, would be awful in terms of trying to get area fans to buy into this team and Wolford.

I am a fan of YSU and of Wolford and I want him to succeed. If Hess plays, I feel he will play one of his best games at YSU. He knows what is at stake and he wants to leave his mark on YSU with a playoff run.

Offline ysufan0505

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »
O Line better play a lot better. Been a problem all year. Hess running for his life most of the time....

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 08:56:51 AM »
Most important game of the Eric Wolford era. Win and take another step forward in terms of where our program is. Making the playoffs also is a huge plus in terms of recruiting and extra publicity come playoff time. A loss, which could mean no playoffs, would be awful in terms of trying to get area fans to buy into this team and Wolford.

I am a fan of YSU and of Wolford and I want him to succeed. If Hess plays, I feel he will play one of his best games at YSU. He knows what is at stake and he wants to leave his mark on YSU with a playoff run.

I like Wolford's swagger.  I also think that he deserves an extension becuaswe of the recruiting upgrade.  I also think that he is not afraid to make changes with his coaching staff.  He needs to make some significant upgrades with the secondary coach and the DL coach and the LB coach and maybe also Tresey.  As I stated before, we need a disruptive defense.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

I like Wolford's swagger.  I also think that he deserves an extension becuaswe of the recruiting upgrade.  I also think that he is not afraid to make changes with his coaching staff.  He needs to make some significant upgrades with the secondary coach and the DL coach and the LB coach and maybe also Tresey.  As I stated before, we need a disruptive defense.

I'm still not sold on him and I don't know if I ever will be.  Once again, he wasted timeouts like there is an unlimited supply each half.  This coaching staff makes very few/if any adjustments at the half or during the game and that's on both sides of the ball. 

And Saturday took the cake, and let me preface this comment with an "I understand him getting very angry because of the situation," but damn, you can't hold your kids to one level of discipline and then go out and get a 15yd penalty yourself. 

As for recruiting, yeah, he's bringing in alot of kids.  Talent-wise, is it really any better??  Sure, ok.  Is it coaching or the lack thereof??  Definitely.  I've read some folks talk about the defense not having the proper personnel for his style.  I say, BS...you're a college coach, adjust your style to the personnel you have.  And maybe that's what Tresey is doing....which brings me back to question #1, are we THAT talented??  Our defense is very soft and everything they do is soft.  That portion of it absolutely drives me nut when watching this team play. 

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:45 AM »
I agree with Soup. 

I personally believe that yes, we are more talented than before.. However, the coaching is awful.  Its been this way from the beginning of the Wolford era.. He brought good talent in rather quickly, but my goodness has the coaching level gone down. 

And I completely agree that the defense is soft.  I don't know if its the players or the coaches, but there's no other way to say it; they're soft.  Teams like UNI, NDSU, and SDSU are hard nosed, hit you in the mouth programs; and we'll continue to struggle against them if they continue play soft.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 11:12:28 AM »
Paladin pointed out several yers ago that the recruiting at the program put us back many years.  Heacock was able to win with his recruits when they were in thier senior years, but we were completely mismatched most of the time.  Wolford continues to upgrade the talent, but he made a rookie mistake hiring Kravits and he lost 2 yers of recruiting and two yers of player development.  What I don't like about Tresey is the scheme, but as some of you pointed out, maybe it is becuase we don't have the personnel.

Offline SoupCity

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 11:15:36 AM »
I agree with Soup. 

I personally believe that yes, we are more talented than before.. However, the coaching is awful.  Its been this way from the beginning of the Wolford era.. He brought good talent in rather quickly, but my goodness has the coaching level gone down. 

And I completely agree that the defense is soft.  I don't know if its the players or the coaches, but there's no other way to say it; they're soft.  Teams like UNI, NDSU, and SDSU are hard nosed, hit you in the mouth programs; and we'll continue to struggle against them if they continue play soft.

I remember a play on Saturday.  We had the ball going toward Beeghly Ctr (on our sideline) and it was like a screen pass....Nania was QBing at the time and the pass was to Webb, I believe.  Anyway, one of NDSUs folks (CB or LB????) ABSOLUTELY destroyed that play going thru 2 blockers and making the tackle.  My first thought was...HOLY CRAP we don't have a single defensive player who could do that.  And their speed on defense....they were light years faster than ours.

Offline stuperman17

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 12:22:13 PM »
The last player I could think of with that kind of tenacity was Sirdemarco Bledsoe.  And I recall being in awe at how intense he was on the field, YSU doesn't have anyone like that!