Author Topic: App State vs Montana  (Read 9879 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
App State vs Montana
« on: August 31, 2013, 09:30:23 PM »
APP STATE IS PLAYING Montana on Espn3. Why do we have to play Morehead State when we could have a game like that?  I hate playing these lesser scholarship teams.  It is such a waste when 20-30% of the games we play are almost predetermined. What a waste of time.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:16:26 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: App State vs Montana
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 10:39:36 PM »
In fairness to Strollo, his hands are tied when the calendar calls for an eleven game schedule.  As long as we play the blood game, we need to buy two home games to have a total of six.  That means buying two games from the likes of the NEC and the Pioneer, the only teams that are of such low stature that they won't require a return game.

However, in those calendar years that allow twelve games, such as this year and next, we should have tried harder to produce an attractive schedule.  One blood game on the road, one non or partial scholarship opponent at home, and four leagues games each at home and on the road.  The final two games, one at home and the other on the road, should have been with full scholarship FCS foes.  A two year contract with each school fulfilled in 2013 and 2014.  Not the quality of Montana, however.  The MVFC is too strong, but two worthy opponents.  That would have still left us with six home games each year, and our fans would not be mocking the ooc home games. 

We drew flies against Dayton, and it will be much worse against Morehead and Duquesne.  Maybe for the next cycle Strollo will get it.  He sometimes does get things....eventually.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 11:00:25 PM »
Any rumors on the non-conf. schedule for next year.  I think we play Illinois but what are the other 3 games?
Anyone in the know?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 12:11:25 AM »
I think they play Duquesne and Robert Morris but cant confirm?

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 04:38:13 AM »
In fairness to Strollo, his hands are tied when the calendar calls for an eleven game schedule.  As long as we play the blood game, we need to buy two home games to have a total of six.  That means buying two games from the likes of the NEC and the Pioneer, the only teams that are of such low stature that they won't require a return game.
However, in those calendar years that allow twelve games, such as this year and next, we should have tried harder to produce an attractive schedule.  One blood game on the road, one non or partial scholarship opponent at home, and four leagues games each at home and on the road.  The final two games, one at home and the other on the road, should have been with full scholarship FCS foes.  A two year contract with each school fulfilled in 2013 and 2014.  Not the quality of Montana, however.  The MVFC is too strong, but two worthy opponents.  That would have still left us with six home games each year, and our fans would not be mocking the ooc home games. 

We drew flies against Dayton, and it will be much worse against Morehead and Duquesne.  Maybe for the next cycle Strollo will get it.  He sometimes does get things....eventually.

Pretty terrible excuse. We dont need 6 home games, we need playoff games and playoff games at home will bring double the money a game vs Dayton will, at minimum.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 08:27:55 AM »

Pretty terrible excuse. We dont need 6 home games, we need playoff games and playoff games at home will bring double the money a game vs Dayton will, at minimum.
False. Playoff games have always historically drawn less than regular season games. After bidding on home games, any revenue you bring in is usually minimal at best.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
You have to look at the revenues. We must have home games. Remember all the advertising in programs and on signage is based on number of games. Post-season games are not a certainty; as an advertiser, I cannot hold my dollars hoping for a game. No I want the known home games ...and as many as possible.

Sure at some point, the attendance becomes a factor for the advertising renewals. However, now that we are showing games on television ...we have an additional advertising venue. So, until Fitch or Boardman starts putting 12k in the stands and televises their contests ...YSU is your best advertising dollar value.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 11:55:17 AM »

False. Playoff games have always historically drawn less than regular season games. After bidding on home games, any revenue you bring in is usually minimal at best.

False. the previous years are 100% No indication of the following years results. Next

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 02:55:14 PM »
AF,

Just some friendly advice.  This forum is not like the high school boards where 90% of the posters are uninformed.  The veterans here know a great deal about Youngstown State, FCS football, and the Horizon League.  So when you say something silly, for example, that YSU can make money from FCS playoff home games, don't be shocked when ValleyTalk or someone else calls you out on your mistake.  Hey, your opinions are welcome but don't present them as facts, and then get argumentative when someone corrects you.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 02:58:23 PM »
AF,

Just some friendly advice.  This forum is not like the high school boards where 90% of the posters are uninformed.  The veterans here know a great deal about Youngstown State, FCS football, and the Horizon League.  So when you say something silly, for example, that YSU can make money from FCS playoff home games, don't be shocked when ValleyTalk or someone else calls you out on your mistake.  Hey, your opinions are welcome but don't present them as facts, and then get argumentative when someone corrects you.

Well first of all its not a mistake when its the truth, second i know more about YSU, FCS, and the MVC then most if not everyone around here, playing for YSU and still having connections in the AD will do that for you. You probably shouldn't call people out who know more then you, just a heads up

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
AF,

Well first of all its not a mistake when its the truth, second i know more about YSU, FCS, and the MVC then most if not everyone around here, playing for YSU and still having connections in the AD will do that for you. You probably shouldn't call people out who know more then you, just a heads up

Do you really think you are the only poster on this board who has  connections within the Athletic Department? 

Do you really think you are the only former player on this board?

Since you apparently have the answer, how much money did YSU make from the James Madison playoff game?  I don't know and my knowledge from back when YSU used to make the playoffs more than once a decade, was that YSU needed community support to make the bids to host games to keep from losing money.  It may well have changed,but knowing how much YSU made in 2006 would help to know. 

If you don't know, then its not a FACT.  Its your opinion.

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 08:14:55 PM »
AF,

Do you really think you are the only poster on this board who has  connections within the Athletic Department? 

Since you apparently have the answer, how much money did YSU make from the James Madison playoff game?  I don't know and my knowledge from back when YSU used to make the playoffs more than once a decade, was that YSU needed community support to make the bids to host games to keep from losing money.  It may well have changed,but knowing how much YSU made in 2006 would help to know. 

I know i have better connections then anyone else here. and its not a opinion when its correct

ValleyTalk

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 08:28:43 PM »
AF,

This guy is in over his head on this website and on JJHuddle. He seems to think his opinion is fact and the opinions of others are straight fiction.

Nonetheless, I think plenty of us have our ties with the athletic department. If he wants to believe what he spews out, then all the power to him... At the end of the day we know what the truth actually is.

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2013, 08:35:17 PM »
AF,

I know i have better connections then anyone else here. and its not a opinion when its correct

Well good.  Use your connections and get the answer to my question.  How much did YSU make on the JMU home playoff game? 

It's not a fact if you can't back it up with details. 

Offline AFGuin

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »
AF,

This guy is in over his head on this website and on JJHuddle. He seems to think his opinion is fact and the opinions of others are straight fiction.

Nonetheless, I think plenty of us have our ties with the athletic department. If he wants to believe what he spews out, then all the power to him... At the end of the day we know what the truth actually is.

I dont post on JJHuddle, never even heard of it and yeah we know what the truth is, i've already posted it in this thread but you continue to troll and tell whatever lies make you feel better