Author Topic: Wolford  (Read 22852 times)

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Wolford
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:16:47 AM »
should we give him a long term contract extention? he's only 40 and looks like he is building us right back into a powerhouse that we had under Tressel, almost beat UNI, beat the #1 team, beat another top 15 team, and 3 TDs points away from being 10-1, with a top  5 offense in the country after we won just 3 games last year

once the D gets experiance like last years offense did we very well could have anywere from a 9-2 to 11-0 regular season heading into the playoffs and a top 5-10 ranking

he was born and raised in Youngstown, he knows the talent NEO brings, and who knows with him from being around the area this could be his dream job like like Ohio St was Tressels dream job

Online YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Wolford
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:18:46 AM »
Maybe after year 3.  If he makes the playoffs this year and we have a run this year then extend him before a D1 program takes him from us.   Good topic.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 09:40:15 AM »
i think at best we can hope to have coach wolf around for three...four more years...as much as i would love to
see him here for the long haul....he will get a big d1 offer down the road...

i dont see him going to any of the mid/major confefences....if a mac school thinks they are gling to take him away from
youngstown...dont see that happening...

wolf has been one of the best recruiters on the d1 level for quite some time now...we are seeing that first hand
here at ysu...now he is starting to prove he can also be a very productive head coach...this is only his second year
as head coach..anyone that knows football...had to feel for him last year....never in my life have i seen a team with so
many bad breaks in a season...

we are a fumble recovery return....fumble on the one yard line this year at ind st...to being a lock right now for the
playoffs....regardless...we win sat...ysu is in....and primed to make a run...

who would have thought...!!....

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 10:50:22 AM »
I agree with Train that Wolf is going to use this job as a stepping stone into a 1A school of BCS caliber.  After a strong showing of consecutive playoff runs, he will have improved on an already impressive resume.  It seems to be the nature of the beast called the coaching carousel, and its all about timing.

Z

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:24:05 AM »
I agree on Wolf ...no extension quite yet. My biggest concern is keeping Montgomery. Lots of HC's out there ...but this offense is something special. If anyone is getting a big offer ...it is Shane.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 11:53:45 AM »
Patience young padawan.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:23:10 PM »
I agree on Wolf ...no extension quite yet. My biggest concern is keeping Montgomery. Lots of HC's out there ...but this offense is something special. If anyone is getting a big offer ...it is Shane.
I agree 100%....Montgomery is going to be an attractive candidate this upcoming offseason I hope we can keep him.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:59:42 PM »

Why don't I see the something special offense??  Big numbers against the blind center and Jerry's kids and between the 20's.  "BUT"!!  Mich State 6 points. NDSU 27 points (a Win by the Defense). UNI 17 points 28 points vs. SDSU!!  When the competition is tough I don't see where Shane M is such an Offensive Genius ???

Offline ysuindy

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »
This athletic department has put itself in bad situations too often in the past by awarding contract extensions to coaches early in their tenure for results that are far short of what YSU's ultimate goal should be (whether it  be football or basketball).

A 7-4 season that may or not earn a playoff berth shouldn't result in a long term extension.  If YSU gets in and makes a run in to late December or January - different story.  But YSU can't afford to be buying coaches out - the $$ just aren't there.  Lets remember that both the head coach and assistant coaches saw a significant bump in $ over what YSU had historically paid.  Whether that was good or bad is not at debate here - simply brought up to point out that a bad extension would be financially crippling to YSU.

I share the view of several below - we should be hoping to have coaches successful enough to turn the YSU head coaching job in to a job at a higher level - whatever level that might be.  I would much rather be replacing coaches who have led YSU to post-season success than coaches who have not put enough wins on the board.  I feel this way for football and both basketball jobs.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 02:38:53 PM »
I can see Wolf and company (coaches) going to K-State when Bill Snyder retires in a couple of years.  We probably won't have him for 5 years IMOP.

Offline Train

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 03:14:37 PM »
wolf would definitley be on the short list at k state....even next year if that be the case....

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 05:32:47 PM »
Heck, I want to have a coach that the big schools will be looking at, means we are doing good. Chances are that we will never find a great coach that will be content staying here. Best we can do is replace a great coach with another (soon to be ) great coach. If schools like Montana can do it why not us.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 06:18:47 PM »
not sure why we cant keep Wolf? Tressel turned down the Miami (fl) job when they were in their prime when Butch Davis left before he took the Ohio St job, just saying.

its not very un-realistic to think we can keep a good coach, especially a guy who was born and raised here
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 06:21:45 PM by YSUfan21 »

Offline YSUfan21

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2011, 06:19:08 PM »

Why don't I see the something special offense??  Big numbers against the blind center and Jerry's kids and between the 20's.  "BUT"!!  Mich State 6 points. NDSU 27 points (a Win by the Defense). UNI 17 points 28 points vs. SDSU!!  When the competition is tough I don't see where Shane M is such an Offensive Genius ???

LMAO

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 06:31:58 PM »
not sure why we cant keep Wolf? Tressel turned down the Miami (fl) job when they were in their prime when Butch Davis left before he took the Ohio St job, just saying.

its not very un-realistic to think we can keep a good coach, especially a guy who was born and raised here

Tressel was the exception, I would hope we can keep Wolf, but ita unrealistic with the money that is being thrown around by the big boys...Penguinpower stole my thunder...by bringing up KSU, that is his old school and he is very close to Coach Snyder...If its not about money and its family and home then he stays...but hell we offered the Stoops brother and rumor has it family said take the job come home...he took the money and Sunny fla.   Lets hope he gets the job done first and enjoy the ride...maybe we will get lightning in the bottle twice!!! Go Penguins!!!
A Penguin for life!!!