Author Topic: Post-Game Thoughts?  (Read 16651 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Post-Game Thoughts?
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:34:55 PM »
I need some time on this. I also need to watch the replay. Just thought I would start the thread. What does everyone think?

Offline penquinboris

• Rock Hopper Penguin
  • Don't hate me because I am beautiful
    • View Profile
Re: Post-Game Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:15:01 AM »
Differently a work in progress
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 02:15:42 AM by penquinboris »
And my world is something you can't see
But it's still very real to me
You can find it in the hole where I keep my soul
There it is - way down inside me

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 07:38:27 AM »
 Here are some thoughts:

The defense is definitely more talented and more physical.  The running game and o-line looked good.  We need a place kicker real bad.  Hess needs to improve his passing.  Stubbs and Bryant look good for being freshman.  Defensive back #8 why is he playing?

Remember we played the #17 team in FBS so only giving up 28 hard earned points is not bad.  That will be the best team we play all year so I am still confident.   

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
^^^^^ Hope your still confident!!  I was truely impressed with what I saw. O line did a great job!! Hess never sacked WOW first downs nearly even. I agree we need a kicker.

GOOOOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 10:19:35 AM »
Just curious anyone (INJURIES) that did not play today that we will see later??

GOOOOO GUINS!!!!!!!!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 11:01:51 AM »
After some time to reflect, here are my thoughts.

We forced Michigan State to play their starters basically for the entire game.  When the game ended, the Spartan sideline was filled with bitterly disappointed second and third stringers who surely expected significant playing time.  Realistically, that marks a very good performance for us.

We might play against an individual qb, back, or receiver who is better than what we faced last night, but we will certainly not face a set of skilled talent of that caliber.  As Pride noted, the defense has indeed made great strides.

If the Vindicator stats are correct, we made 20 first downs.  I'll bet we did not have 20 first downs total in our first four money games.   Sure, we could not finish against the MSU defensive skill set, but I feel very good about this offense against FCS opponents.

Recruiting the juco kicker from California instead of A. J. Fox from Mooney was a terrible mistake.  I noticed that Paul McFadden's kid kicked a 40 yard field goal against Fitch last night.  Well?

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »
I had to sleep on this....but my thoughts:

We forced MSU to play our game of FB.  The game was a lot closer that the score would indicate.  We moved the ball well but we were not able to score in the red zone.  That was the difference.  WE probably should not have had to settle for the FG, we should have scored there.  I taped the game and watched it again.  There were several "no calls" for defensive pass interference that we should have had.  One of the plays was early in the game where Pat White beat the corner up the sideline and the MSU defender held him.  That was a TD.  I thought that the BTN game hosts were not giving us credit, neither did any re[porter in the post game press conference.

The defense is much improved, but we need to get better at defending the pass over the middle.  They had something like 10.4 yards per attempt in passing and most of that average came from a handful of big pass plays made on our secondary.  We got caught guessing on at least two running plays in the red zone where the defense was completely playing the inside run and they bounced it out, but understandable given the level of talent we were up against.

At the end of the day, our inability to stop them in the red zone and our inability to score in the red zone was the difference in the game.  We controlled the pace of most of the game, utilized the clock really well and kept them off of the field.  WE had something like 43 offensive plays to their 23 in the first half.  we moved the ball up and down the field but could not score.  The defense held their potent offense in check for most of the day and gave our offense some opportunities.  The interception the 4th put the game away for MSU.

Offline Pizza

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 10:31:17 AM »
I thought we did just fine. We are a better team than last year.

As far as the Db's and Delesio......we don't know what coverages they are in for any particular play. Sometimes it looks like someone gets beat when actually someone else had the primary responsibility. The fact is we just don't know. Now if someone is just getting beat physically on the line of scrimmage for example, that is much easier to determine.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 06:52:55 PM »
I thought we did just fine. We are a better team than last year.

Ditto
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 05:03:50 PM »
sis anyone see Narduzzi's bitter statements about YSU.   Jeeze man let it go.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 08:01:44 PM »
sis anyone see Narduzzi's bitter statements about YSU.   Jeeze man let it go.

and they were?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
He made some comments about the fact that he hasn't forgooton what YSU did to his father.  Before the game he said he wished he could play against YSU and that he wanted his defense to be wreckless against the Pengiuins.

Hey Pat.  I'm glad your dad got fired.  We got Tressel as a result.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
He made some comments about the fact that he hasn't forgooton what YSU did to his father.  Before the game he said he wished he could play against YSU and that he wanted his defense to be wreckless against the Pengiuins.

Hey Pat.  I'm glad your dad got fired.  We got Tressel as a result.

I spoke to Pat numerous times 10 years ago and he was livid then.  So much so that he related his feelings to me even though we never met and URI was recruiting my son.  He'll never let it go.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 11:30:19 AM »
That last year with the Duzzer was rough.wasnt he ill then ? But it was time for a change...as for Baby Duzzer..i have heard that as well that he was still holding alot of animosity towards YSU.  Thats a shame he seems to be a decent coach. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 02:37:06 PM »
Those Italians can sure hold a grudge ;)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 02:38:08 PM by penguinpower »