Author Topic: Work gets started on YSU’s WATTS Center  (Read 39473 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Work gets started on YSU’s WATTS Center
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:26:20 AM »
Work gets started on YSU’s WATTS Center

By Joe Scalzo

YOUNGSTOWN

Youngstown State University began preparing for the WATTS Center, background, on Monday. The university hopes to have the facility completed by the end of this year.

Youngstown State University got started on its groundbreaking new indoor facility Monday, even if the official groundbreaking is at least a few weeks away.

Construction began on the $10 million WATTS (Watson and Tressel Indoor Training Site) Center, which will be built on the site of YSU’s outdoor track.

University officials hope the facility will be finished by the end of the year. The 125,000-square foot building will have a football field, a track, batting cages, training rooms and offices.

“The joke was that the facility would have something for every team but swimming,” said Matt Morrone, YSU’s athletic business manager. “But even they can use it to run in the offseason.”

The school has secured about half the funding for the project, Morrone said. The first $1 million was donated in 2007 by former YSU football coach Jim Tressel, his wife Ellen and Frank and Norma Watson.

“Obviously if anyone is still willing to give, we’re more than willing to accept,” Morrone said, chuckling.

YSU will be the first school in the Horizon League with an indoor facility, which will allow the Penguins to host the indoor conference track and field meet, as well as area high school indoor meets. It will also be a big tool in recruiting, Morrone said.

And while the WATTS is closely associated with football, the facility will be available for regular students and faculty, too.

“It’s really great for the whole university, not just athletics,” Morrone said.

YSU plans to hold the official groundbreaking at a later date. The school wants Tressel to attend but the Ohio State football coach is currently unavailable due to the Buckeyes’ spring practice.

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Work gets started on YSU’s WATTS Center
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
I thought the WATTS Center was going to be built across 5th Ave. from the stadium.  So I guess YSU will no longer have an outdoor track?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:10:10 AM »
I thought the WATTS Center was going to be built across 5th Ave. from the stadium.  So I guess YSU will no longer have an outdoor track?

I have been trying to get an answer for that question for months now. I will let you know what I find.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 11:35:32 AM »
It's my understanding from what I have read and in talking to student athletes on campus is that the current track will be torn out.  This will then be replaced with the WATTS center which will have an indoor track.  The indoor track from my understanding is way more valuable than an outdoor do to the fact that half the season is indoor season.  It is my understanding the team uses Kent States facility a few days a week to practice in their indoor facility, and also make use of the gyms inside of the stadium.  
I've heard that the planse for across 5th avenue call for a softball stadium and new tennis courts.  I'm not sure why new tennis courts because for the most part the teams make use of the Boardman Tennis Center for most if not all the matches and for most pracitces.  So where does this leave the track program...well you got Libertys track right up 5th avenue, and Girards right up 422, I'm sure they could figure something out with one/ or both of them if they need an outdoor track.  I would think it would be easier to make that trip than repeated trips to Kent for an indoor facility through the year.  I just hope they don't let football use this facility because like a certain troll on thei board says..I hate the football team  ::)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:41:21 AM by ysuhoops24 »

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 05:17:50 PM »
LOL troll you gotta come harder then that. Sticks and stones!

Anyway drove past it today, the track is still in place, some areas are coverd over by dirt. The main sod is almost all the way up. Not sure about new Tennis Courts, but a new softball, soccer field and track are proposed for the west end of 5th ave.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:27:02 AM »
hey JJ (being civil here  ;D)...from what I hear is the current tennis courts are to be torn out for parking?  Has anyone else heard that?  It's going to be interesting.  As far as a softball field goes...did they ever give any consideration to trying to build that lot of land where the old softball field sits.  That area is not as creepy anymore with the addition of the courtyard apartments.  I would love to see baseball moved on campus down the road.  The times games sometimes start would be good for drawing a student crowd maybe.  Kids on break, or possibly done for the day could take in a few innings. 

Offline ItalianPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 09:55:31 AM »
Students don't come to any events--why move baseball for them. Eastwood Field is a great venue for those kids to play in.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:34:32 AM »
it might be nice, but being almost 20 minutes off campus it's not convenient IP.  Possibly be better off playing full time at Cene again.  Is it worth what they are paying Eastwood to host them?  

As far as the tennis courts go.  If they are planning on making the current courts parking, it would be almost a lock IMO that they build new ones.  The current courts, though not used by the team much do serve the university in other ways such as classes, and recreation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:44:45 AM by ysuhoops24 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »
I agree with IP. YSU has a baseball stadium that is 'tops' in the league ...that is why we need to keep it in use.

Offline jjysuwin

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 03:37:40 PM »
Yea I agree IP students don't show up to many sporting events at YSU, it's a nice link to connect Trumbull county and YSU together at Eastwood.
"Make no mistake, MSU is not going to be a top half of the Big 10 team. They are lower half. That O of theirs is due to be manhandled." - paladin

"Hunter Wells isn't ready next year for D-I football" - paladin

Hunter Wells Stat Tracker: 17/23 303 yds, 4TDs, 242.0 QB Rating

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
Where's the outdoor track team practicing now that the construction has begun?

Offline Pita

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
Moving any sporting event for students is a waste of time.

Offering as an example the Red/White game last week.  I could not understand how students would not have flocked to that game.  A new season, a new Coach, a new Staff....the sun shone, the day was more than perfect.  No band, no cheerleaders, no students...........good grief, were I the students age
I would have loved the event; tho well passed student age, I enjoyed every minute.  Can't understand what lacks in student participation.  Anybody have any idea why the participation is ALWAYS so poor?
Basketball is no better; no not just in the lean years, they only time they ever packed the rafters was when we had those midnight games, many moons ago.

GO PENGUINS

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »
Any chance someone in YTOWN can update from time to time with photos for us out of towners??  PLEEEEEASE!!!!

GOOOOOOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 12:35:38 PM »
Any chance someone in YTOWN can update from time to time with photos for us out of towners??  PLEEEEEASE!!!!

Fan,

Ask your contacts in the athletic department if they can setup a web cam, so folks can monitor the construction progress.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 04:27:01 PM »

Fan,

Ask your contacts in the athletic department if they can setup a web cam, so folks can monitor the construction progress.

That is a very good idea!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne