Author Topic: Work gets started on YSU’s WATTS Center  (Read 39464 times)

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Work gets started on YSU’s WATTS Center
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »
I think someone has messed with the camera!?!?!

GOOOO  GUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 08:33:31 AM »
Web cam working now.  Looks like this things going to be huge for the school and a long time coming  ;D

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2010, 12:37:13 PM »
Here's a link to the upcoming track schedule.  Odd that none of the meets are at home.  It shows the Horizon League championships being held in Geneva, even though the Horizon League's website still shows them in Youngstown.  I take it this means the facility is way behind schedule?

http://www.ysusports.com/sports/mtrack/2010-11/schedule

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2010, 04:36:02 PM »
Just looking at the webcam every now and then, the progress on the roof has been extremely slow. It's been 2 months and they still haven't completed it! There has been very little on the sides finished, I don't believe they will complete the WATTS center on the expected time (early 2011)!! It probably won't get completed to June. They sure don't have too many workers working on the project.>:(

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2010, 12:06:28 PM »
ELPenguin,

When you have a chance, ask Harry Meshel why no meets have been scheduled.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2010, 04:13:12 PM »
Maybe they're waiting for more donations.  Or there is some kind of advantage to waiting till 2011?

Did any of Obama's stimulus money go to this?  If not, is Tim Ryan really doing his job?

I have a friend in the steel building business (big company) and those places "fly" up.
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Smooth

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2010, 09:02:37 AM »
Where will the outdoor track be? It's kind of dumb to have a state of the art indoor facility and no outdoor.  It's like having this indoor football facility, but no place to practice outdoors or hold home games.  With this kind of philosophy, we should have torn down the football stadium and built it there. I assume they will be driving to Boardman HS for outdoor practice. No high school tracks have a steeplechase pit.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 09:08:20 AM by Smooth »

Offline WolfZone

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2010, 11:19:29 AM »
It's an indoor football center first. It's a football field that happens to have a track around it. Not the other way around. It's built specifically for football hence the reason no one in the Horizon has one.

Do you want an outdoor track with a football field that is used by the football team to practice on once every 2 years, or an indoor track used everyday by every sport?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2010, 12:56:48 PM »
If you talk to our track athletes, they desperately wanted the indoor facility.  During the summer, most see no problem practicing at their old high school.  Distance runners have the perfect facility in Mill Creek Park.

Long-range plans call for an outdoor track west of Fifth Avenue.  That can only happen with a new round of private donations.  Compared to having your name associated with the WATTS center, that is going to be a very hard sell to the local fat cats.

Offline WolfZone

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2010, 05:17:39 PM »
The school will need to step up for the track since a lot of students/staff will be using it for fitness and intramurals

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »
I understand that they had a planned campus map at that meeting, held on November 15. They are charting out road changes. The primary focus was safety, but I wish I would have been able to see that map. I suspect there are a couple of buildings on there that I would be interested in.

Offline TheBearMay

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
Say what you mean, mean what you say, and let your actions speak for you.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
By Joe Scalzo

scalzo@vindy.com

YOUNGSTOWN

In late October, Matt Morrone heard rumors of an impending thunderstorm — complete with 70-mile per hour winds — and was struck by visions of his $10 million baby, the Watson and Tressel Training Site, suffering some costly growing pains.

“At the time, we only had one side of the roof up,” said Morrone, YSU’s athletic business manager. “I was worried it was going to act as a big sail.

“Fortunately, we didn’t get the wind we were supposed to get.”

Mother Nature hasn’t been so cooperative this month.

Thanks to snowy weather and construction delays, YSU has pushed back the planned opening of the WATTS from late December to mid-February.

“Our winter came a little sooner than everybody anticipated,” he said. “We were scrambling to get some things done that needed to get done before the storm hit. The next few weeks will be key in helping us get caught up.

“It’s going to be a challenge.”

University officials had hoped the facility would be done by the end of 2010, in time for the crucial January football recruiting period. The 125,000-square foot building will have a football field, a track, batting cages, training rooms and offices.

YSU will be the first school in the Horizon League with an indoor facility and the Penguins were planning to host the conference indoor track and field championships on Feb. 26-27. But that meet has been moved to Geneva, Ohio.

“We’d still love to host it, but realistically, we’re not sure we can do it,” said Morrone, who secured Geneva’s indoor facility months ago just in case there were construction delays on the WATTS.

Morrone said the facility is well past the halfway point, with the roof “99 percent done” and the in-floor heating system completely installed.

“That was a huge hurdle to get over, considering the complexity of the system,” Morrone said.

The facility should be 99 percent complete in mid-February, Morrone said. The school may still need to finish some landscaping projects and some exterior finishes, but “we should be able to do everything we want to do inside there.”

Potential recruits should be able to tour the building in January.

“Even where it’s at right now, people can come in and at least see the layout,” Morrone said. “That way, they can kind of get that ‘wow factor,’ which is a huge plus.”

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2011, 12:29:48 PM »
Fan,

What have your contacts in the athletic department heard about this facility?  It now appears that it won't be usable until at least April.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2011, 01:57:32 PM »
Fan,

What have your contacts in the athletic department heard about this facility?  It now appears that it won't be usable until at least April.

I will see what I can find. Last I heard, the goal was to open by spring ball.