Author Topic: YSU in Wisconsin  (Read 3920 times)

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU in Wisconsin
« on: February 19, 2024, 08:07:33 PM »
Game Friday night at Milwaukee.   Have a good feeling about Friday.
Thoughts anyone?  We need to play solid defense and nail down 10 3 pointers and hit some free throws to win.. we won in overtime at home against them a few weeks ago.  We can do it again.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU in Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 08:09:36 PM »
Need to have a good Wisconsin trip!  I don't know about ten threes though!  Would be nice!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 08:27:17 PM »
* Cut down the turnovers to below 10
* Let BT bring the ball up court and let him stay in the game as long as possible
* Keep Reid out of foul trouble
* Set up screen or kick the ball out to Rush beyond the 3 point line. He shot poorly from the 3 with a defender closely pressing him
* hustling for the loose balls
* Keep Burns’ and Thompson’s emotion in Check (less trash talk.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2024, 10:17:27 PM »
We can hit 10 3 pointer just need Rush and Thompson to hit some.  Defense and turnovers will be the key.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 09:39:57 PM »
In 6 of YSU's 7 league losses they've given up 76 or more points, which is well over the ppg avg they give up in league play of 72.7 (4 of 7 they've given up 81 or more).  The only game they didn't was the road loss at Oakland 70-67.

In 8 of 11 of YSU's league wins they've scored 81 or more, 2 of the other wins were against IUPUI which you can almost throw up.  The only other league win when they didn't score was the Robert Morris road win when they won 71-57.

This really translates to when YSU plays good defense they win, and most of their wins have been by a comfortable margin meaning they've played well on offense.  They've struggled in the close games, most of which they've had sizable leads.  I didn't look at the stats, but it seems like they turn the ball over a lot in those losses.

I still feel like in order for YSU to go on a run down the stretch, they are going to need Rush to play better.  Rush has been under his ppg avg for 4 straight games, 7 of the last 8, and 9 of the last 11.  He's went from YSU's leading scorer to 4th.

Pretty much know what we get out of Burns, Reid & Thompson.  Guys like Rush, Langdon, Farmer & Lovelace are all so inconsistent. 

I know Coach mentioned last week that he even asked Rush if he'd like to come off the bench, which he didn't want to.  But I'm not even sure if YSU gains much if you started say Farmer or Lovelace instead.  Farmer is worse from 3 and the FT line than Rush.  Farmer's mid range game is better than Rush's and probably play's better defense. 

We also need better play out of Dynes and Zorgvol.  Dynes has been non-existent the last 3 games.  0 points and just 1 block and has played a total of just over 22 mins during that stretch.  Also during that stretch, Zorgvol has just 3 points and only 1 block.  So between the 2 they have just 3 points and 2 blocks in 3 games.  Dynes has seemed lost in recent games and I'm sure that's why his mins have dried up.

I haven't heard any update on Bates in awhile.  He's missed 9 games now and Coach acted like it wasn't a serious injury and he was day-to-day.  Seemed like weeks ago Coach was confident of getting him back, now nothing has been said recently.  There was times he added a nice spark off the bench and I feel like YSU could have used that at times in recent games. 

Outside of the beginning of the season, this is honestly the least confident I've been with YSU since the end of 2 seasons ago.  The last time YSU played really well was the Wright State road game on ESPNU.  Since then they are 2-3 needing OT to beat Milwaukee at home and really not playing that great in their home win against RMU.  Bad road losses to PFW and CSU and losing at home to GB without their leading scorer when so much was at stake.

It's going to take a hell of an effort to sweep these teams.  I'm hoping for a split, but unfortunately I wouldn't be shocked if YSU loses both.  You need to be playing your best basketball of the season this time of the year and unfortunately YSU isn't. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 06:03:22 AM »
Ysu has 6 loses and not 7.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 05:27:52 PM »
Mud you made some good points especially of consistent players vs inconsistent.    Rush is the number one on this list.  He's too talented and experienced and i'm wondering if he's trying to play too fast.

Dynes is still a work in progress and his minutes probably depend on the style of the teams they play.   Green Bay and Ft Wayne spread the floor with a lot of screening and he's not there yet for that. 

You're are right about the team not playing as well as they were earlier in conference play and some of these wins have been struggles to go along with some tough losses.  With the exception of a couple teams I think that most of these teams  in the Horizon are pretty even and YSU could easily beat any of them and also lose to any of them.  We saw this last season too and that's college basketball.   It's a long season and most teams have their peeks and valleys.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 07:47:07 PM »
Almost game time.   PFW is beating GB by 22 at half.  Good news. Now we got to beat MKE. Tough task.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2024, 07:53:32 PM »
YSU is a 2.5-3.5 point favorite. 

I was surprised GB was only a 1.5-2.5 point favorite at home against PFW, but Vegas must have knew something.  That halftime score is shocking. 

Barring a total collapse by Oakland and a bunch of other things happening, the regular season championship is out of reach for YSU, but a GB loss tonight keeps a #2 seed well within reach if YSU can take care of business. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 08:10:34 PM »
I already don't like the start of this game. Turning the ball over, giving up 3s & have missed 2 points blank shots

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 09:33:01 PM »
What a horrendous start to the 2nd half. Blown a 14-pont halftime lead in just over 8 mins and scored just 6 points. Can't make 3s and getting out-hustled.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 10:04:59 PM »
This is the problem with piecing together a team each year and living by the 3.  All you can hope is for the team to get hot in March.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 10:17:48 PM »
As we go into ot the only word I can use is UGLY.   Btw how many time outs does Milwaukee get.  It seems like they used 4 in the last 5 minutes.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 10:36:53 PM »
YSU 84 Uwm 80 in or

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 10:42:29 PM »
Whew...that was exhausting! If nothing else, it's good to finally win an ugly, close game.  I had my doubts when YSU lost the lead and got down 3 but credit to keep on playing.  I really was concerned going to OT, but YSU played really well. 

John Lovelace won that game for YSU.

Thompson had an up and down game.  He didn't score for the longest time, missed 2 key FT in OT and the bad turnover late, but made some nice plays.

How many layups and point blank shots did YSU miss? Seem like YSU really struggles with that.

And it did seem like Milwaukee used a ton of timeouts. 

Really continue to struggle shooting 3's...just 5-24.