Author Topic: YSU in Wisconsin  (Read 3911 times)

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU in Wisconsin
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2024, 11:43:24 PM »
Nice win by YSU.  Entering this weekend, I thought it was going to be extremely difficult to get a sweep after beating Milwaukee in OT and losing at the buzzer to GB at home.  They weren't the prettiest of wins, but that's ok because for most of the year YSU hasn't been able to win these types of games. 

Nice to see Rush get back to his self.  I've said all along, in order for YSU to have a shot in the tourney, they need Rush to score the ball.  He also played well defensively with 4 steals.  Had he struggled tonight, this would have been a much closer game.  Thompson was excellent, reminded me of DQ or Cohill on those clear outs down the stretch.  Burns is simply a double-double machine.  His game is so consistent it's unreal. 

GB has now lost 3 in a row, all at home, and hasn't scored 60 points in any of their losses.  Still not sure how we'd stack if Reynolds had played in either game.

The win clinched both a first round bye and a home game as YSU.  Now to take care of business against Detroit and that would be a nice way to head into the tourney winning 3 straight and 4 out of 5.     

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2024, 11:08:49 AM »
I thought the same thing when Thompson went iso on the last 3 possessions it was like they did last year with Cohill.
Probably the best help defense of the season and it was nice to see another team uncomfortable with pressure.
The press was a nice wrinkle.   Really like when Ziggy and Burns are in the backcourt applying pressure since you have two guys with long arms and Burns can really move his feet and they're both strong and not to mention you have Dynes as the last line of defense.

I want to say it was a great defense yesterday but GB went 6 of 22 from three and a lot of those were open looks.  If GB was hot it might of been a different game.

I think YSU is more effective in up-tempo than a set offense.  Love when Burns gets it and goes fast as long as they're not throwing low bounce passes to the bigs.

Rush was key to the win but I'm wondering if he shoud move in and take the two sometimes instead of the foot and a half behind the three point line.  To use a baseball anaolgy get a single and stay on base instead of gambling for 2nd and getting thrown out.   Maybe his shooting percentage will go up and it might help the team better although I get the thrill of banging in a three.

I see no way that Detroit goes into Oakland and wins and irregardless they beat us twice so they have a lock on the #1 seed even though it would be nice to have another championship banner.

Coach C is really spoiling us.   Last season a championship and this year on a cusp with a completely new team.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2024, 12:08:17 PM »
I thought the same thing when Thompson went iso on the last 3 possessions it was like they did last year with Cohill.
Probably the best help defense of the season and it was nice to see another team uncomfortable with pressure.
The press was a nice wrinkle.   Really like when Ziggy and Burns are in the backcourt applying pressure since you have two guys with long arms and Burns can really move his feet and they're both strong and not to mention you have Dynes as the last line of defense.

I want to say it was a great defense yesterday but GB went 6 of 22 from three and a lot of those were open looks.  If GB was hot it might of been a different game.

I think YSU is more effective in up-tempo than a set offense.  Love when Burns gets it and goes fast as long as they're not throwing low bounce passes to the bigs.

Rush was key to the win but I'm wondering if he shoud move in and take the two sometimes instead of the foot and a half behind the three point line.  To use a baseball anaolgy get a single and stay on base instead of gambling for 2nd and getting thrown out.   Maybe his shooting percentage will go up and it might help the team better although I get the thrill of banging in a three.

I see no way that Detroit goes into Oakland and wins and irregardless they beat us twice so they have a lock on the #1 seed even though it would be nice to have another championship banner.

Coach C is really spoiling us.   Last season a championship and this year on a cusp with a completely new team.

I was discussing the GB 3-point shooting today with someone and said what you did.  GB had a ton of wide open looks and missed them; 6-22 as you said.  In the home loss to them they went 14-29 with obviously the game winner being a 3.  The 14-29 was crazy shooting and that's not going to be typical.  They shoot 34% from the year so they were at the opposite ends of the spectrum in both YSU games.  I'm not sure how the games go had Reynolds played. 

Last year Reynolds was with Wyoming and after his 3rd concussion in early February he was done for the year.  This year he missed the first YSU game due to an illness and his missed the last 2 due to a lower body injury suffered in practice. 

As far as Rush, last year 56% of his shots were 3's; this year it's 69%.  Last year I thought he was much better at getting to the rim as well as finishing; this year he's struggled.  He rarely ever takes mid range shots.  It was nice to see him yesterday make that fake on the 3 and move up and knock down that mid-range shot.  He's such a streaky player and seems to play so much better on both ends of the court when he scores.  I thought he played one of his best defensive games of the year as well too and had 4 steals.

Even though I don't think YSU created any turnovers on the press, it really slowed down GB even more so than they play.  It would be nice once in awhile for YSU to create some turnovers on the press, but rarely happens.  Lovelace's length and jumping ability is the best chance for that.  I know when Calhoun first came, he wanted to press all the time, but it never seemed to work.

As far as Detroit, only 7 times in their 29 losses have they been less than double digits.  They lost by 15 to Oakland at home.

With yesterday's win and Oakland's loss, YSU did move up to 125 in the net rankings and Oakland dropped 9 spots to 130.  The home loss to Green Bay was the one that hurt the worst for the net rankings, but the home loss to Oakland is the one that really did YSU in for winning the regular season title. 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2024, 03:52:53 PM »
Coach’s weekly press conference today:

https://youtu.be/bQnBKBNiAUA

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2024, 04:18:13 PM »
Without the automatic bid for the post season tournament (non NCAA), the regular season champion does not really carry as much significance as in the past.

Therefore, it is more about seeding, home court advantage and first round bye. Winning the tournament to gain the automatic bid to the big dance is really the only objective anymore.

In order to win the tournament, the team needs to peak at the right time ( it’s like the trials for Olympic team are conducted very close to the Olympic so the selected athletes are peaking at the right time) and be a little lucky.

The league is so balanced this year, it is not out of the questions that any of the top 6 teams could win the tournament.

Let us hope YSU is the one. Go Penguins…

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2024, 06:33:30 PM »
Watch out for PFW.  They have won a lot lately except for the last game.  Plus it's in Indiana.. sounds like if they can make it to the final 4  spots it is anyone's game.  League is so balanced top to bottom.  Including Detroit.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2024, 06:53:47 PM »
Coach said Bates is out for the season as he's already had surgery.  I kind of figured when nothing has been said of late and didn't see him on the bench lately.  I was hopeful for his return.  There were times this season he really sparked the team off the bench.  He had a lot of energy on both side of the floor and could hit some 3's.

My rankings would be the following

1. Oakland
2. YSU
3. Wright St.
4. Green Bay
5. NKU
6. Milwaukee
7. CSU
8. PFW
9. RMU
10. IUPUI
11. Detroit

Oakland always seems to choke in the tourney.  I've said all the year the team that scares me the most is Wright St.  They underachieved for much of the year but are coming on strong.

I think NKU & Milwaukee are pretty close and then not much of a drop off to CSU & PFW, which I think are pretty close.

I think any of the top 6 can win it all.  I can see CSU and PFW winning a game, maybe 2, but not 4 in a row