Author Topic: NDSU Game Thread  (Read 13695 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: NDSU Game Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2022, 06:24:41 PM »
This QB situation is on the Coach.  You cant convince me that they don't see issues in practice.  If not,  then we really have problem.  I'm afraid there isn't a D1 QB on the roster.

He might be freezing up in games.  Who knows.  ButD should have been picked off.  Maybe they need to fix his footwork first.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2022, 06:36:51 PM »
Bottom line the following has to change:

Recruiting
Coaching
Adjustments

We keep getting further away from relevance. 

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2022, 06:41:19 PM »
Our conference had a year of tape on Crenshaw.  The flaws are obvious.  Poor arm mechanics and footwork and not able to make his reads quickly to make an efficient decision.  Davidson is our only option and he has issues too. It bums me because this becomes a wasted year. Qb is so important.  We don’t have the enough talent for a game manager like Davidson. But Crenshaw isn’t effective in this offense.  Not sure he would be effective in any D1 offense.  Don’t know how we can recruit 8 qb’s and they all suck. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2022, 06:41:38 PM »
Bottom line the following has to change:

Recruiting
Coaching
Adjustments

We keep getting further away from relevance.

We are getting better.  It's going to take time.  We are heading in the right direction.  Wish people felt this way when Pelini totally F-d up out recruiting.

We are getting good players. We look 100% better on defense.  Need some help at QB and the OL.  And need more depth.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2022, 07:42:21 PM »
The coaching staff has developed NO ONE.  The difference makers are primarily from the portal.  I understand that's part of recruiting in 2022 but take away those guys and its a different football team.  Don't get me wrong WE ARE BETTER but there was no where to go but up!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2022, 08:16:52 PM »
I am not going to trash Crenshaw.  He is in an impossible situation: a running quarterback who is absolutely NOT ALLOWED TO RUN! Unbelievable and pathetic!

Here is a history lesson that a few of you might have heard about. In 1975, Narduzzi's first season, he installed a veer offense that required his quarterback to run the option repeatedly.  His quarterback was Cliff Stoudt, the traditional passer who had led the team to our first playoff appearance in 1974. Naturally, it was an abysmal failure. Narduzzi could not win until he found his veer quarterback in 1977.

This is the same freakin' thing but in reverse order. Allow Crenshaw to run 20 times.  Have him run many options with Jaleel.  Have him pass off play action and not from the pocket where he is inept. If in the spirit of Narduzzi you are stupid enough to insist on traditional quarterback play, then put in Davidson.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2022, 09:11:30 PM »
Wick you are right.  Good coaches coach to a players strengths and adjust to it.  If Crenshaw is a Michael Vick wannabe then do what Virginia tech did build the offense to his running abilities and dummy the offensive scheme up.  He was told to read one side of the field and no more than look at his first two options then RUN.
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 02, 2022, 11:20:47 AM »
Who knows what is going to happen at the QB position our our Offensive play calling? Both need significant improvement. But I remember being on the sideline at the Fargo Dome and watching us get beat with the forgotten QB inserted to start that game, Hunter Wells. We lost but we got our footing and made the National Championship game. Hope DM can do the same this year. Remember that our run game scares everyone. So the pass game should be there. Somehow our wide outs are rarely open. Our O line is lacking, but improved from last year. Hopefully our coaches are up to the job and get our pass game going to take the heat off our run game.  As a YSU fan I am hoping for the best for us.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 02, 2022, 06:29:47 PM »
We need to give Mitch a try at least a few games under his belt.   Would have been nice if he could have started this game it could have been much different.   Oh well looks like another losing season at 5-6,

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2022, 09:04:27 PM »
To be fair, Mitch should have had 2 pick 6's.  He was lucky

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2022, 10:03:17 PM »
To be fair, Mitch should have had 2 pick 6's.  He was lucky

But he didn't, let's hope that he learned from them
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline lakesbison

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2022, 10:09:00 PM »
Sorry got drunk after....

YSU actually played NDSU pretty dam tough, much respect for you..

If you run #8 & get him 4-5 screen passes or swing passes he will put up 200+ next week and beyond.

Defense isn't too bad, you won't see a better running team than ndsu.

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2022, 01:15:53 AM »
Lol. This is what it looks like when a high school principal who only got the job because his buddy donated millions to the university is leading a bunch of D2 and D3 coaches. Embarra$$ing...

Totally agree!

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2022, 07:01:54 AM »
Lol. This is what it looks like when a high school principal who only got the job because his buddy donated millions to the university is leading a bunch of D2 and D3 coaches. Embarra$$ing...

Totally agree!

Since when has football become rocket science?  Football is 90% about recruiting a d leadership, 5% strength and conditioning, And 5% on schemes and play calling.  But recruiting and leading a team is the main thing.  Most coaches that are the best at X's and O's can't recruit (Pelini). 

The recruiting is the most important part of the job and a former HS principal should have the skills to relate to the kids he's recruiting. 

We are a project.  So he missed at QB and he's got a problem at OC.  He will learn and get it fixed.  Luke Fickle at Cincinnati buit his program the same way.  But it took him several years.  Winning isn't going to come overnight after what Pelini did to the recruiting and how he left the cupboard bare.

Don't let your expectations get out of line. I think Phillips is the right guy for the job, and I've heard the kids love him.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2022, 09:16:45 AM »

Totally agree!

Since when has football become rocket science?  Football is 90% about recruiting a d leadership, 5% strength and conditioning, And 5% on schemes and play calling.  But recruiting and leading a team is the main thing.  Most coaches that are the best at X's and O's can't recruit (Pelini). 

The recruiting is the most important part of the job and a former HS principal should have the skills to relate to the kids he's recruiting. 

We are a project.  So he missed at QB and he's got a problem at OC.  He will learn and get it fixed.  Luke Fickle at Cincinnati buit his program the same way.  But it took him several years.  Winning isn't going to come overnight after what Pelini did to the recruiting and how he left the cupboard bare.

Don't let your expectations get out of line. I think Phillips is the right guy for the job, and I've heard the kids love him.

Some interesting points!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne