Author Topic: Incarnate Word  (Read 23045 times)

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Incarnate Word
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2021, 11:22:42 PM »
Good W. Clutch plays down the stretch. Still do not trust this coaching staff....

We were outcoached but still won. Players never gave up and made several clutch plays when they had to.

^^^^^this…still gonna be a tough couple years.  But I’ll take a squad that doesn’t quit Every. Damn. Day!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2021, 11:35:09 PM »
We have played against better quarterbacks.  We have played against better running backs.  We have played against better receivers. But have we ever played a FCS game against a better COMBINATION of those three positions? I would say no.

Crenshaw was excellent. No turnovers. Usually good decisions. Bright future.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:35:55 PM by Wick250 »

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2021, 12:44:25 AM »
That game was a battle of wills. They would not stop passing, and we would not stop running. Crazy way to come out with a win.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2021, 12:46:30 AM »
Play calling on offense is very questionable.  Need to pass more and when not so expected. Crenshaw looks really good and can run and throw.  Coaches afraid to call pass plays. Without 8 we are not a good running team. Crenshaw is a good runner also.

Defense was exposed today. Hope they can play better in future game against qbs that are not so good.  So much changing of personnel on our defense almost every play causes much confusion. And some plays people were uncovered. I think some of our d lineman were tired out by running on and off the field so much.

But after all that we played well at the end of the game. And number 8 is unbelievable.  So many times the original play is shut down. He reverses and make great plays out of plays that were stuffed. With 20 running the ball, it all changes and we are stopped.

Our kicker really saved the day. Great job today. Our talent is limited, but we can do better with an improvement in play calling on offense. And less substituting on defense so everyone is ready and prepared on most plays.

We will see what the coaches do in future games and what changes are made. Hopefully no one gets hurt next week and we can be ready for league play.

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2021, 07:06:11 AM »
Clutch FQ by the kicker.  QB looked good but let’s see how he progresses now that there is game tape on him.  Where would we be without #8. Who calls the plays does Phillips?  I feel Kliacek is back lol!
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2021, 07:20:32 AM »
Still very much to be desired...

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2021, 07:50:03 AM »
Special teams were a large part of this game, They missed an easy FG and EP and had a punt blocked.

Not happy that we had to use a TO before the the first play of second half, could have used it in our 39 second drive!
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2021, 08:28:12 AM »
Clutch FQ by the kicker.  QB looked good but let’s see how he progresses now that there is game tape on him.  Where would we be without #8. Who calls the plays does Phillips?  I feel Kliacek is back lol!
For a while, I thought both Kliacek and Pellini were back on the sideline calling plays.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »
Their coaching was worse than ours. Going for it on 4th down on their own 30. Kicking the ball out of the end zone at the end of regulation with 39 seconds left. At times I thought they felt so superior to us that they could do anything they wanted at any time and ignore standards like running out the clock and going for it on 4th down on your own 30.

Our special teams were very good for rhe most part. I am not sold on our Australian punter, but McFadden has really elevated his game and looked like a top kicker. His kickoffs were good and the extra points and field goals were very strong looking compared to their guy. A missed short field goal, a missed extra point, and a blocked punt essentially gave us the game.

On offense they had people open everywhere and they had a strong running game. Their up tempo offense had us on our heals all night and we were trying to substitute on defense with mass confusion. And they were picking our coverage with all the motion etc. We need to get 8 in motion like they did and get him in space. Number 20 also. Use some of their schemes to get people open. Not sure if our O line could do what theirs did in protection to achieve what they did. Sure looked impressive to me.

Without 8 and 10 on offense we are in big trouble.  I like our qb, but we need to let him throw more. He can be a top qb in my opinion. Makes big plays under pressure, can run and throw well.

To much of our offense reminded me of our spring season. Won't pass no matter what and just run the ball. Makes it very difficult for our running game. We will see if these young coaches can grow into what is needed. I think they will recruit well in the long run which we desperately need. We will see.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2021, 09:16:11 AM »
Exciting game!  Definitely need to throw the ball on 1st down but I understand that coach wants to establish the run game and in this league you have to!  8 is a stud. Hands down!  10 is going to develop into a great QB. I would imagine that the defensive coaches were not looking forward to opening up with this passing team. Not sure that you can get ready for that in week one.  Special teams were great. Made the difference. Reminded me of Tressel ball. Win the special teams battle- the third part of the game. This team wants to play until the last snap!  Can’t argue with that. Has been missing for a long time. They want to win for the coaches and their team! 

Go Guins!
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2021, 09:50:20 AM »
 Winning mask many problems:  Our staff a bad night.  Big time questions about our offensive coordinator.
1. What were we doing at the end of the half.   Have the ball at our own 38 and we don't try to get into field goal range.
2. The worst of the night, QB draw down three with 39 seconds and only one timeout.  You can't run the ball in that situation, ever.
3. Scared to throw the ball down field.  Ogletree a huge target gets two catches early, then never throw to him again.

As for Crenshaw, have no idea yet if he can make plays down the field.  On the positive side, thank God we have Mclaughlin, and McFadden clutch kick to send into overtime.

Offline HLecter

• Emperor Penguin
  • I HATE MIAMI.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2021, 01:31:44 PM »
Tailgating was cool.

Huge student section has me pumped.  Hope they keep showing up

Nice win but didnt need to be that close.  Lots of mistakes but hey, it’s the opener against a great offense.

Love McLaughlin and QB shows promise OL and DL we’ll see.  They need to play better in the conference.

Postgame at 34 West was great.  Check it out
I HATE MIAMI.  WATERBOARDING IS NOT TORTURE.  ABORTION IS.

I missed a four-footer for par the other day--THAT DAMN BUSH!

Offline Joe Bernastat

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2021, 09:35:51 PM »
Lecter was roaming the tailgate lot,  mooching food and drink, as per usual. Things are back to normal in our world. The clock has been reset. Everything old is new again. God Bless the USA and the DuPont Chemical Company.
Joe Cool

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2021, 09:14:49 AM »
Good hype vid except Phillips looks like a lil b—— wearing a muzzle.

https://fb.watch/7KGtyAr15P/
Seriously, when they are filming for a hype video, pull down the damn mask!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2021, 04:17:01 PM »
Good hype vid except Phillips looks like a lil b—— wearing a muzzle.

https://fb.watch/7KGtyAr15P/
Seriously, when they are filming for a hype video, pull down the damn mask!

That was from the spring - he was required to wear a mask at all times with the team and on sidelines - if you recall..that wasn't his policy - that was the NCAA.  Give the guy a break. 

GO GUINS!
THE DRIVE FOR 5