Author Topic: YSU canceled 2020 football season  (Read 9568 times)

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
YSU canceled 2020 football season
« on: August 18, 2020, 06:02:13 AM »
As r Penguins cancel fall football season

YSU SPORTS
AUG 18, 2020

From staff, wire reports
sports@tribtoday.com

YOUNGSTOWN — There will not be any fall football games for Youngstown State University.

The YSU Athletic Department announced on Monday that the football team will not participate in non-conference competition this fall.

In a statement, athletic director Ron Strollo said the department believes postponing fall competition was the best decision in regards to the health of the student-athletes.

“After much consideration, we have decided that it’s in the best interest of our football student-athletes and staff to not have competitions this fall,” Strollo said. “At this point in time, planning for a spring season is the right decision. We will work with our coaches and student-athletes to do our best to make that happen.”

While disappointed, this could be helpful for first-year head coach Doug Phillips.

The Penguins had only a couple weeks of spring practice before the pandemic and quarantine went into effect, leaving him with very little time to implement new schemes and get to know the players. Even though YSU will take “a break” from practicing for the time being, according to Phillips, they’ll still have some time to further their knowledge of the systems and build team camaraderie.

Strollo and Phillips both said they’re awaiting direction from the NCAA as to the guidelines and parameters for spring football preparation.

“We preach every day to thrive in all situations, so we will use our time this fall to work together to become a better football program,” Phillips said. “We will continue to support our student-athletes in everything, and our expectations for them to represent YSU in a positive manner on and off the field will not change.”

Youngstown State, and all Missouri Valley Football Conference schools, were given the option to play non-conference contests when the MVFC announced it was moving league games to the spring on Aug. 7. The Penguins were scheduled to play at Akron, and host Duquesne and Eastern Kentucky in September. The Akron contest was canceled on Aug. 8.

More information will be made available in the future for Penguins football season-ticket holders regarding options for the games moved to the spring. eported in today’s Vindy/Tribune:

Offline cjm

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: YSU canceled 2020 football season
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 09:12:40 AM »
i'd still rather wait until next fall and have the teams take the extra time to coach/learn/practice and not risk injuries trying to play in the spring and then the fall. that's just going to be physically demanding for players on top of spring and fall classes.

the downside are seniors who would graduate and lose their final season or potential look before the 2021 combine and draft. not sure there is a decent workaround for all of that.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 11:10:45 AM »
If I was the coach of this roster I wouldnt want to play either.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 01:58:19 PM »
Very bad for most of the football world but very good for YSU.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 05:16:18 PM »
Spring is a HUGE mistake. You lose the spring practice and game. Additionally there is not enough time for players to recuperate before a hard fall camp only 2-months later. Any injuries and a player does not make it back for 2021. The NCAA will give a player back his 2020 scholarship, due to pandemic; but not 2021. Most importantly ... regular season football in spring ... who cares?

Strollo: be a man and tell the MVFC and ticket office ..."NO". Now or never.

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »
There's not going to be any spring football.  It's going to be super hard to justify spring football after the massive uptick in cases this fall and winter and no vaccine yet.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 11:32:53 PM »
There's not going to be any spring football.  It's going to be super hard to justify spring football after the ma$$ive uptick in cases this fall and winter and no vaccine yet.

Relax IAA Fan.  Boston is right on the mark.  We will restart in the fall of 2021, maybe.  Maybe limited contact sports like baseball, softball, tennis, golf in the spring.  Nothing else.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 11:53:54 PM »
All this panic about virus is just nonsense.  I know of two who got letter that they tested positive but NEVER took a test. Heard this is common.  Never heard our robot  Governor have a news conference on that. Not sold on all these virus statistics.  We can play high school sports but not college. Yep makes whole lot of sense to me. 

Offline cjm

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 08:37:31 AM »
"everybody says" where have i heard that before? not saying it cant happen but the probability is incredibly slim. rather, you are more likely to get a false positive OR negative due to sample quality issues or flaws in testing which, incidentally, can happen in any medical testing not done properly. this also doesnt account for the accuracy or dependability of the test being used.

so i guess, proof please and enough with this nonsense on a sports forum.

incidentally, most, if not all ohio HS seasons have been truncated in the number of games and only immediate family will be allowed to attend, with the schools determining if they will play and what other safety protocol will be in place. i guess you could argue HS sports will be easier to execute and monitor then college but rest assured that the moment a student tests positive you will see postponements or seasons ending.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2020/08/02/coronavirus-positive-test-result-letters/5556665002/

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronavirus/fl-ne-covid-positive-test-hoax-20200713-xk3aueospjef7dffzazn4zm5ky-story.html

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 04:45:24 PM »
Sorry guys there are several virus ticket in the non-YSU board below this one. The key is that we have a governor paying attention to HS sports, as it holds the future of so many kid's college. I have to respect that decision. The problem is that there will be no room for them when they graduate. No scholarships for anyone but the top. You need to allow both

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 06:31:30 PM »
I heard but do not know if it is true that North Dakota State will play 1 game apparently to showcase their quarterback for the NFL

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2020, 08:43:49 AM »
I heard but do not know if it is true that North Dakota State will play 1 game apparently to showcase their quarterback for the NFL

Yes they will play Central Arkansas at the Fargo Dome on October 3. I am not so sure it is to showcase their QB for the NFL, unless he has academic issues. He is a freshman (Soph this year). The game will be a good QB show. Smith is very good as well.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 03:43:03 PM »

Yes they will play Central Arkansas at the Fargo Dome on October 3. I am not so sure it is to showcase their QB for the NFL, unless he has academic issues. He is a freshman (Soph this year). The game will be a good QB show. Smith is very good as well.

I would guess that they are more interested in showcasing NDSU.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 06:03:25 PM »
The fall is now the off-season and NDSU figured out a way to play a very meaningful "spring game" in that off-season.  I have always thought that it would be wonderful if college football teams were allowed to play another school in their spring game.  That would produce much greater interest from the fans and certainly highlight your areas of strength and weakness.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »
The fall is now the off-season and NDSU figured out a way to play a very meaningful "spring game" in that off-season.  I have always thought that it would be wonderful if college football teams were allowed to play another school in their spring game.  That would produce much greater interest from the fans and certainly highlight your areas of strength and weakness.
That idea has merit.  As currently constituted, the spring game deserves the respect Bo Pelini gave it....-0-
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!