Author Topic: Doug Phillips  (Read 43835 times)

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Phillips
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 10:19:00 PM »
All 1 year stints with bullsh** positions.. Hopefully his salary is NO more than $125k.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 10:44:50 PM »
Bob Sebo bought Phillips the job.  This was all Tressel decision.  Don’t like it at all.  Phillips is bland and has done nothing to deserve the job.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 10:53:35 PM »
Better than Shane

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 11:05:33 PM »
Looking at his Twitter page he has done nothing but boost the Cincinnati program the last few days including today. Did the team actually meet with the Hoban coach last night and was this whole thing with Phillips put together today in just a few short hours?

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2020, 11:22:26 PM »
If he bought him the job what was the price?

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2020, 11:38:29 PM »
So attendance is way down.  Interest is dropping to about the level of basketball.  And this nonentity is going to be the charismatic leader that returns the program to national prominence?  This "hire" will generate about as much community enthusiasm as the selection of a new soccer or volleyball coach.

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2020, 11:52:52 PM »
He'll last 3 years and D'Alesio will be next head coach.  Mark my words!

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2020, 12:30:43 AM »
OMG. I listened to an interview with this guy from UC recruiting and I couldnt believe what I was watching. 

Also' it appears that Tom Phillips from Stow may be his brother.  We may have a high school coach on staff after all.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:40:19 AM by goodnews »

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2020, 07:09:33 AM »
We all knew we can only afford to pay 15 assistant athletic directors and add more costs through bowling and some other sport I don't remember and will never watch........so what did you all expect?

With D'Alesio as a key defensive coach, all I can say is if you think we would make a splash hire you were wrong. There is no money and the money that exists has even greater influence on the outcome.  Blame the state of affairs on Strollo not holding people accountable, hiring too many AD's and using the money that SHOULD be used in the only sport that matters on other bulsh!t that nobody cares about.

Now we are in a high stakes gambling game with a bad hand, but still have a chance.

There are many ways to look at this hire as bad.  I've seen many of the remarks. No experience, no HC experience, worked as a principal, a local guy etc.  I get it and I agree.

But I challenge everyone to take a little different view on this. The guy should know what winning looks like. He's been a part of a lot of winning teams as a coach (player?).  Secondly, it takes a certain level of sophistication to be a principal/superintendent etc at a school.  As a HC, that is a very important aspect that could be used to deliver success. It is also the same type of sophistication that made Tressel a better FB coach and gives him the capability to run a University as president. I see some parallels there. It so appears that the guy either likes co as coaching or the money associated with coaching because he left his admin job to get into a job that is a grind. He also knows the area and the people in the area.

It is a creative hire.  He may be a good hire.  I give him a punchers chance.  But how does he win without resources?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 07:47:54 AM by penguinpower »

Offline nova75

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2020, 07:57:57 AM »
The financial constraints are self-imposed. If it was important they would find the money to compete. Keep funding at a D2 level and that what you’ll become. Most of the programs perform at that level already.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2020, 08:32:41 AM »
Power,

Thanks for the post.  It reduced my anger and made me look at this more objectively.  Administrative expertise is indeed essential for a head coach.  I just hope we have the resources to assemble a respectable staff that Phillips can manage.

Also, Crenshaw's high school stats were in the paper this morning.  74% completion rate as a senior.  14 for 16 in the 2019 title game.  Six rushing tds in the 2017 title game.  All of that against fierce competition in Ohio's DI.  Not a bad building block for a new coach.  We all know the impact an elite qb can have at our level.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2020, 08:56:31 AM »
I simply don't understand the overwhelming negativity of the posters on the thread.  How in God's name to you make the statement that Phillips makes Tyrrell look like Urban Meyer in comparison?  Just YESTERDAY Tyrrell was the guy with no college experience and this was a disaster?  You guys make me laugh.  If Phillips knows football and relates to kids on the field, and parents in recruiting, he'll be fine.  Remember the best football mind EVER at YSU picked the guy, and that gets him the benefit of the doubt with me.  In 3 years we can review this decision, but before that is premature. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2020, 09:02:03 AM »
  Was blindsided by this one.   I was all in on Tyrrell, he had head coaching experience and was a winner.  Doug Phillips has done nothing to deserve this job.   The job was certainly bought for him.  Very disappointed in Tressel, this was all his decision.

I hope Phillips proves me wrong, and I will support him and the program.  But I can't see it, also from what I remember while coaching high school, sorta boring and nerdy.  I don't see him exciting the fan base.

Yes Tressel a great football mind, but he was the one who hired John Robic, although the committee he put together had Robic near the bottom of the candidate list.  Robic was a bust and he got the job because Larry Brown and John Calipari bought him that job.  That is a fact.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 09:03:57 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2020, 09:32:34 AM »
When did Sebo become a player at YSU? He had no interest previously. As I said previously re Tyrell...if this works out--great; but if not its on Tressel. You all are overestimating how well he is running the university.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »
When did Sebo become a player at YSU? He had no interest previously. As I said previously re Tyrell...if this works out--great; but if not its on Tressel. You all are overestimating how well he is running the university.

He became a player this week when Tress was in Florida with him and called Strollo to cancel the team meeting with Tyrrell. Going in a different direction. $$$$$$.
THE DRIVE FOR 5