Author Topic: The next YSU Head Football Coach  (Read 101269 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: The next YSU Head Football Coach
« Reply #180 on: February 06, 2020, 07:56:00 AM »
Grow up and discuss the topic. The mere fact that you consider the word "trash" to be a racist statement shows just how racist you are. FYI, most of the trash in Florida has white skin, as do I. As does much of Broward County. I am merely giving you reasons why a hire like this could possibly be made. Chaminade is in Broward County. You either live in Miami, or the Everglades. Here is the first sentence of the the school's mission statement: "Chaminade-Madonna seeks to provide a safe and family-oriented environment where students can learn and mature into caring leaders in our society." If you have to address safety right off the top...draw your own conclusion.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 08:13:36 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 06, 2020, 08:11:26 AM »
Grow up and discuss the topic. The mere fact that you consider the word "trash" to be a racist statement shows just how racist you are. FYI, most of the trash in Florida has white skin, as do I. I am merely giving you reasons why a hire like this could possibly be made. Chaminade is in Broward County. You either live in Miami, or the Everglades. Here is the first sentence of the the school's mission statement: "Chaminade-Madonna seeks to provide a safe and family-oriented environment where students can learn and mature into caring leaders in our society." If you have to address safety right off the top...draw your own conclusion.

I mean, regardless of racial implications. I’m  concerned with anyone calling children “trash” in general. Kinda mean-spirited to refer to someone growing up in a less than ideal neighborhood as “trash”.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 06, 2020, 08:18:42 AM »
YSUGO, you are both comical and delusional.  Anyone who thinks Montgomery deserved to be the head coach is not looking at the big picture.  He was 17-31 as a head coach at Miami, including a pair of 2-10 seasons.  Terry Hoeppner the coach prior to Montgomery had 7 straight winning seasons before leaving for Indiana.  Montgomery took a winning program and ran it into the gutter.

He did a good job at YSU under Wolford.  As for James Madison he walked into a perfect situation, they were loaded with offensive talent, a veteran QB and offensive minded head coach.  James Madison and ND State were so much better than anyone in FCS, I think even without the great Shane Montgomery that JMU would have been in the title game.

Montgomery is a good assistant coach, he showed nothing as a head coach, zero.  He is like Jon Heacock, but not as good as Heacock.  Being an assistant is where he belongs, not running the entire program.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 06, 2020, 09:12:26 AM »
YSUGO, you are both comical and delusional.  Anyone who thinks Montgomery deserved to be the head coach is not looking at the big picture.  He was 17-31 as a head coach at Miami, including a pair of 2-10 seasons.  Terry Hoeppner the coach prior to Montgomery had 7 straight winning seasons before leaving for Indiana.  Montgomery took a winning program and ran it into the gutter.

He did a good job at YSU under Wolford.  As for James Madison he walked into a perfect situation, they were loaded with offensive talent, a veteran QB and offensive minded head coach.  James Madison and ND State were so much better than anyone in FCS, I think even without the great Shane Montgomery that JMU would have been in the title game.

Montgomery is a good assistant coach, he showed nothing as a head coach, zero.  He is like Jon Heacock, but not as good as Heacock.  Being an assistant is where he belongs, not running the entire program.

Heacock did not get the $$ support and facilities Bo and Wolf got but his teams were equally as good. I'd say Heacock is a better HC than Bo or Wolf.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 06, 2020, 11:15:51 AM »
Chief or 1990,

Does anyone know when the university plans to make an official announcement.  We have known it since Tuesday, the players know it, and yet silence from the media.  This will be really strange if they wait until Saturday to make the formal announcement at the banquet or basketball games.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2020, 11:38:16 AM »
I am hearing Saturday for sure.  Don't know when or where.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2020, 05:08:26 PM »
Grow up and discuss the topic. The mere fact that you consider the word "trash" to be a racist statement shows just how racist you are. FYI, most of the trash in Florida has white skin, as do I. As does much of Broward County. I am merely giving you reasons why a hire like this could possibly be made. Chaminade is in Broward County. You either live in Miami, or the Everglades. Here is the first sentence of the the school's mission statement: "Chaminade-Madonna seeks to provide a safe and family-oriented environment where students can learn and mature into caring leaders in our society." If you have to address safety right off the top...draw your own conclusion.

So he got hired because he can relate to the "trash" kids? Got it. You need serious help mentally.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2020, 05:09:41 PM »
Not sure about an announcement Wick.... Not sure what the hold up is.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2020, 05:56:50 PM »
Chief ...attack all you want; your justifications still fall far short. I am the only one on the board looking at reason why such poor move could be made. I mean tell me a college football reason, besides being here almost 20-years ago. Gee any assistants showing success at the collegiate level? When you run down to Florida to bring a recruit up here, "it ain't for an education". It is to play ball. It is a completely different mindset than catching a local recruit with a partial to try an get his degree.

The only reason you need to say as to why you would hire Montgomery comes from the YSU record book. Recent experience. Also, to say that he could not coach a QB? Just take a look in our record book at all of the relevant stats for QBs. They are all held by Montgomery-coached QB's. Again attacking the messenger does not negate the message. You are scratching your head just as hard as the rest of us.

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2020, 07:59:36 PM »
Doug Phillips got the job.
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2020, 08:35:39 PM »
What is going on???

Offline goodnews

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2020, 08:57:48 PM »
SAFE, INEXPERIENCED and CHEAP......

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2020, 09:01:21 PM »
Well, what a dumpster fire this has become. The usual.

Tyrrell was going to be the choice but from what I can gather, he wanted more money, especially to bring in certain assistants that would've cost more. Certain people in charge did not like that idea trying to go the cheapest route possible.

Phillips is a Youngstown boy and another close guy to JT and will be the new coach.

Nothing like going from a HC coach to a guy who wasn't even coaching football and was superintendent of West Branch high school for a few years lol. Yikes. What an abysmal hire.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2020, 09:05:29 PM by ytownchief22 »

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2020, 09:05:25 PM »
Heard a certain billionaire from the area backed him...read between the lines...2001-05...

COACHING CAREER
YEAR: SCHOOL - POSITION
1991-92: Youngstown State - Graduate Assistant
1997-2000: Springfield Local HS - Head Coach
2001-05: Salem HS - Head Coach
2006: Ohio State - Quality Control (Defense)
2007-08: Bowling Green - DE/Recruiting Coord.
2016: Iowa State - Director of Player Personnel
2017: Cincinnati - Special Teams Coordinator/Tight Ends
2018-: Cincinnati - Running Backs
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 06, 2020, 09:06:35 PM »
Per usual, certain boosters get what they want in this town.