Author Topic: Needs for football 2020  (Read 9772 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Needs for football 2020
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2019, 08:08:24 PM »
This is going to look like everyone elses Im afraid.

1. O-line. If I could make this #1 through #5 I would. I'm surprised we won as many games as we did with that tackle play.

2. Coordinators. Move Carl to D Coordinator. Get a recruiting coordinator. A new O coordinator wouldn't break my heart.

3. Kicker. Find a kid that can put kickoffs into the end zone 80% of the time or more. That's all he has to do if he can place kick that's a bonus.

4 D End. Wow do we lose a lot here.

5. Cornerbacks - We ask our CB to play a lot of press man. Assuming we lose Reed, and the fact we are losing Richmond and Bynum our corners are going to have to stick with their men even longer next year. The kids we have now, for whatever reason, don't attempt to turn their heads and locate the ball, resulting in a ton of PI penalites. That needs to change they are a big Achilles heel and will be exploited big time next season unless something changes schematically or talent wise.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »

Assuming we lose Reed, and the fact we are losing Richmond
Are we losing Reed?  IF we loose Reed and Richmond then your point #4 is 100% valid, but I think there is a good chance at least one, and maybe both are back.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »

Are we losing Reed?  IF we loose Reed and Richmond then your point #4 is 100% valid, but I think there is a good chance at least one, and maybe both are back.

I hope you are right. I have no inside info here, but if I was a coach trying to project what I need next year I'd work under the assumption that those guys are walking until they tell me otherwise. Getting both back would be amazing, we'd have the best D-line in the FCS. Someone like Carl can do wonders with that, and it can cover a lot of other shortcomings on that side of the ball.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2019, 10:10:51 AM »

I hope you are right. I have no inside info here, but if I was a coach trying to project what I need next year I'd work under the assumption that those guys are walking until they tell me otherwise. Getting both back would be amazing, we'd have the best D-line in the FCS. Someone like Carl can do wonders with that, and it can cover a lot of other shortcomings on that side of the ball.
I agree 100% with your "hope for the best, but plan on the worst" approach.  That's all that makes any sense, and I'm sure that's the staff's approach, but the joy of being a blogger and not a coach is we don't have to plan for anything!  I believe Richmond is applying for another year and "walking" is probably the wrong term.  If they let him, he'll be back.  I believe Reed has a future on Sunday, and he has a change of another injury if he plays for "free" again, so his case is different, but we'll see. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!