Author Topic: Handicap parking  (Read 13259 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Handicap parking
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 06:20:16 PM »
Ridiculous to have that lot behind the east stands as a tailgate lot. Anything to bring in "money" for this incompetent athletic department.

Yeah,,,how awful of them to try to make “money”,,,,,foolish statement,,,,utterly foolish

My point is for another tailgate lot when there is plenty of tailgate areas available elsewhere on campus...
You can't leave a row open for handicap in that lot behind the east stands? It's not like the stadium is busting at capacity lol.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 09:13:13 AM »
Ridiculous to have that lot behind the east stands as a tailgate lot. Anything to bring in "money" for this incompetent athletic department.

Yeah,,,how awful of them to try to make “money”,,,,,foolish statement,,,,utterly foolish

My point is for another tailgate lot when there is plenty of tailgate areas available elsewhere on campus...
You can't leave a row open for handicap in that lot behind the east stands? It's not like the stadium is busting at capacity lol.
I think Chief's point is well made.  We had a good crowd Saturday and the M-70 tali gate lot has as many empty spots as the 1st row of parking behind the east stands.  This argument from the administration at YSU makes absolutely NO sense to me.  Why continue to fight when you are clearly wrong?  C'mon Man, wake up YSU! 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 10:34:11 AM »

[/quote

I think Chief's point is well made.  We had a good crowd Saturday and the M-70 tali gate lot has as many empty spots as the 1st row of parking behind the east stands.  This argument from the administration at YSU makes absolutely NO sense to me.  Why continue to fight when you are clearly wrong?  C'mon Man, wake up YSU!
Make no sense? That is the motto of the YSU's parking policy. Have you ever met that guy in charge of parking at ysu?
I have been on many YSU committee meetings where he participated. What came out of his mouth truly amazed me. Today, I am still puzzled by how he can manage to hold on to his job. If I taught like that in my classes, I would not even be able to finish my semester.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 12:16:57 PM »
Double ET,
Your response is the only one that I could understand, but obviously neither of us agree.
Taking out handicap parking in 2019 is beyond imagination.  Reminds me of a church leader I talked to one time about making his church handicap accessible, and he said there was no need, they didn't have any handicap persons attending!  I suppose if a church could be that stupid, so could a university, I just wish it wasn't mine!

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2019, 04:30:37 PM »
Just got an email from the school on some new policies.....

In an effort to be more accommodating to the Youngstown State University football fan base, the Athletic Department and YSU Parking Services are announcing new Gameday parking procedures to better serve handicap and seniors attending football games at Stambaugh Stadium.

"We have a great fan base, and we recognize a portion of our fans need additional assistance to get to the stadium," Ron Strollo, Executive Director of Athletics said. "Our hope is the new three-shuttle system and dedicated handicap parking lot on Rayen Avenue, near Fifth Avenue, will assist in allowing our fans to attend games more conveniently."

Starting with this Saturday's, YSU home game against Robert Morris, the University will institute the following procedures:
There will be three shuttles that will run starting 90 minutes prior to kickoff starting in the M-53 Parking Lot located on Rayen Avenue just east of Fifth Avenue. One of the shuttles will be wheelchair accessible.
The shuttle will make three stops around campus:
The northeast corner of Fifth Avenue and Lincoln Avenue.
The corner of Fifth Avenue and Armed Forces Blvd.
The M-82 Penguin Club/Taylor Automotive Tailgate Lot on the East Bound Service Road behind the east stands.
The shuttles will run until the end of the first quarter and begin again prior to the conclusion of the game to return fans to the M-53 Parking Lot. Post-game pickup for Armed Forces Blvd. will be the Northeast corner of the intersection.

The M-53 Lot on Rayen Avenue will be a dedicated Handicap lot. Parking will be $5.

Fans may also purchase individual game tailgate passes in the M-82 Penguin Club/Taylor Automotive Tailgate Lot and the M-70 Penguin Club/Hollywood Gaming Tailgate Lot – based on availability each game.

Penguin fans requiring additional information or assistance may contact the YSU Athletic Ticket Office at 330.941.1YSU (1978) or log onto YSUsports.com

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2019, 09:50:28 PM »
What wonderful news for pen4life and any others that need such a service.  This is exactly the type of logical solution that we had been advocating on this board.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2019, 12:48:18 PM »
Great news, it sounds like an excellent solution, Thanks to the YSU athletic dept, parking services and the administration. And a special thanks to the diehard fans on this site who just wouldn’t let this issue go. You have made it possible for many folks to continue a great tradition , thank you.

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2019, 02:08:52 PM »
If anyone on here uses the new services \ lot assignments today I'd be interested in hearing how smoothly it all works out for you.

Glad the school addressed this, it sure looks like a nice solution.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2019, 03:18:07 PM »
I will let you know

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2019, 10:57:02 PM »
The new system works very well and accommodates the needs of the older fans and those who are physically challenged. We just need to publicize it more as most of the folks I talked to didn’t know the change was made. So anyone needing this service go to lot on 5th and Rayen.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 01:43:29 PM »
The system did not work very well for a lot of us old folks who had been boarding the bus at M1 deck at least for the last 15 years.
At least 10 of us were still waiting for the bus 15 minutes before game time. This included an out of town family coming to town to watch (for the first time) their relative who transferred in to play for ysu. They gave up and walked to the game in order not to miss the kick off. They told me they were told to wait for the bus in M1 deck.
This is their contact with ysu.

Kudos to the bus driver who saw us and came over to pick us up. He was just as confused as us on why would the bus not be scheduled to make a stop at M1 since the route passed right in front of M1 deck. The driver indicated that the M1 had had the largest ridership for the buses historically

Communications has always been a major problem at ysu, according to internal survey. Things have not changed.

As a minimum, the buses should have stopped at M1 deck, at least for this weekend until all are informed of the change. But, this is too much to ask.

Speaking of lack of communications, a couple of old folks were told to go to the new pick up area instead of M1, only to be told that they could park in the lot since they did not have a handicap parking tag....

I guess things did go smoothly.... depending on your expectations. It did not meet my expectations...

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2019, 02:25:59 PM »
At least the university is making an attempt to do something. I have to say that the buses were highly-visible this week. It has to be hard when you only have 5 or 6 events per year.

Parking@ysu.edu is their email. Send them your comments and suggestions. I think adding the deck is a good idea. Another idea is for them to realize that many of these people are seniors; many of which do not stay for the entire game. They should run continuously.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 02:27:48 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2019, 06:05:46 PM »
ET,

I give up.  These people are hopeless.  So the M1 deck had the highest level of shuttle use.  The shuttle buses must drive down Wick on the way to picking up passengers in the new handicapped lot.  So let's not stop at the Wick deck anymore and make seniors who lack handicapped stickers walk nearly a half mile to the stadium.  This isn't a communication problem.  It is a demonstration of abject stupidity.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »
ET,

I give up.  These people are hopeless.  So the M1 deck had the highest level of shuttle use.  The shuttle buses must drive down Wick on the way to picking up passengers in the new handicapped lot.  So let's not stop at the Wick deck anymore and make seniors who lack handicapped stickers walk nearly a half mile to the stadium.  This isn't a communication problem.  It is a demonstration of abject stupidity.
I agree.  When you tear out the existing handicap parking and ignore it until after a game or two, then find an out of the way lot, call it handicapped and run a couple shuttle bus's, you do NOT get credit for addressing the problem from me!  The university should be thoroughly embarrassed by this episode.