Author Topic: Howard Week  (Read 20690 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Howard Week
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 01:24:55 PM »
They want to redshirt him and give him another year but I think he is the best of all. 

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 02:18:45 PM »
If he was ready he would be playing.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 02:48:32 PM »
Our D will be ok. On O we need to be able to pass the ball better, especially down the field.  If not all will load up against the run and that will be it. Waid must not be ready.  Punting is an issue.  I think McFadden will be ok. Biggest concern is QB with punting 2nd.  Otherwise we are not bad.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 06:33:49 PM »
Duquesne will be a very tough opponent. Remember they made the playoffs last year and we didn't. They have a great running back and solid defense this is their Super Bowl against us. So expect a good game we better be prepared.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »
Sloppy. Selfish and dumb penalties. Special teams continue to disappoint.

Fix the dumb mistakes and special teams and we can be decent.

That was a good offense we faced and once we decided to contain the QB in the pocket they couldn't do much outside of looking for #81 every pass play.

Our D line is phenomenal.

Problem with this defense is that we get burned far too often. Any Qb that can pass beyond 10-yards, blows us apart. The MVFC teams are big up front on O and not going to collapse as did Howard. Let's move some of these DL's to the other side of the ball so we give our OL some rest. Another solid game for Mays. His distance throwing with accuracy has improved this year. The QB for Howard was as accurate while running, as he was standing back in the pocket. Looked nice.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2019, 07:48:32 PM »

Problem with this defense is that we get burned far too often. Any Qb that can pass beyond 10-yards, blows us apart. The MVFC teams are big up front on O and not going to collapse as did Howard. Let's move some of these DL's to the other side of the ball so we give our OL some rest. Another solid game for Mays. His distance throwing with accuracy has improved this year. The QB for Howard was as accurate while running, as he was standing back in the pocket. Looked nice.
[/quote]

We must not have watched the same game. Mays didn't look good at all to me or the 4 people with me. He was way off target. Under or overthrowing so often.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 06:36:59 AM »
I agree that May's was not accurate. as a matter of fact ESPN's take on the throw to Braswell in the endzone was something like- You've got you man beat by 15 yards, what are you doing QB? Help the guy out by not overthrowing him.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 10:05:48 AM »
I agree that May's was not accurate. as a matter of fact ESPN's take on the throw to Braswell in the endzone was something like- You've got you man beat by 15 yards, what are you doing QB? Help the guy out by not overthrowing him.

Mays does over throw. He throws the ball the same velocity (as hard as he can) no matter how far away the receiver is  ???

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 10:26:31 AM »
Howard will put up  a lot of yards and points this year.  I think I heard the announcers say they went for over 500 yds vs Ohio last season.  Their QB would start for us.

Both lines were dominant today.  Got to clean up mistakes in the kicking game.  YSU Qb's need better accuracy.
Not dissapointed in #7 on his coverage.  That might be the best WR he'll play against in his career.  That guy was big and athletic.
Their QB would start for a BUNCH of teams!  He's good, rest of team is terrible, but he makes up for a bunch!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »
I don't think Mays had one ball on target.  On the INT, he had his man open for a touchdown, threw the ball behind him, got it tipped up for the INT.  On target, it was 6 (MAYBE 7, but that's another issue) 
In addition, one of my Mays complaints has always been, he's a running QB that isn't that good of a runner.  I was impressed with Craycraft's running ability.  He is at least as good as Nate, who is slow.  Howard's run defense (I'm not sure run defense and Howard should be used in the same sentence!) is MUCH worse than we'll see in the MVFC and they held Mays to 4.3 YPC.  Sounds OK, but the team averaged 11.6!!   We have 2 games to get ready and time Craycraft should get the start.  We keep Waid on the bench every game we can and hope we save the redshirt, but time to move on from Mays.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2019, 10:46:49 AM »
What do you say about a team that punts for almost twice the average as it's RUN game?
We averaged 11.6 yards rushing and 22.5 punting?!?!?!?  I've NEVER seen a relationship like that! 
We missed multiple extra points and punting was TERRIBLE, neither will fly in the MVFC.  Things need to pick up a TON.  Special teams, downfield pass coverage, passing game, and mental discipline on penalties all need HUGE improvement. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2019, 10:58:27 AM »
You don't often score 54 and lose time of possession, but you also don't have 4 scoring drives that TOTAL just  over a minute!  32 8 13 & 12.  That was some historically bad run efense.  (not a spelling error, there was no D in it!)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »
Mays is a much better passer this year then last. I did not say he was a great passer; if he was, he would not have been sitting behind Wells, as Wells had no legs. Why would you think Mays is some great runner? He is a clear drop-back guy. What you saw on the other side was a running QB. That being said, this team operates well under Mays and he is "clearly" the man until injury or Craycraft dramatically improves his game.

Also, Craycraft or Waid will not start for this team after 2019.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2019, 03:43:58 PM »
Mays is a much better passer this year then last. I did not say he was a great passer; if he was, he would not have been sitting behind Wells, as Wells had no legs. Why would you think Mays is some great runner? He is a clear drop-back guy. What you saw on the other side was a running QB. That being said, this team operates well under Mays and he is "clearly" the man until injury or Craycraft dramatically improves his game.

Also, Craycraft or Waid will not start for this team after 2019.
Wells had 2 legs, they just didn't move very fast! 
Sometime we should watch the same game.  Mays was off target on every single throw the threw Saturday. You are measuring him against two pretty bad defenses, including Howard, which was perhaps the worst I've ever seen in FCS football, and I've seen some really bad teams.  Newton was as good as I've seen for a LONG time.  He was a one man show that gave us fits all day.  Take away the sack yardage from rushing yards and he was 300+ passing and 100+ rushing.  And I believe we have a D good enough to make the playoffs.
Last year Mays was 222 of 44 50% for 304 yards This year 18 for 32 56% for 306.  Maybe that is very slim marginal improvement, but to say flat out   "Mays is a much better passer this year then last"  isn't born out at the game or in the stats.   Craycraft is clearly the better thrower and we had better get him ready for the MVFC or I fear we are going to go 2-6 and miss the playoffs again.
I don't understand "Craycraft or Waid won't start after 2019"  Obviously both can't start but do you mean the "loser" will transfer?  The could certainly happen but if both are here, both will start 10 games over the next 2 years due to injury.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 08:36:42 AM »
No question on Craycraft, that is why he is getting so much playing time; but that is not helping us for 2019 at this point. We just have to see how Craycraft does, but I am far more comfortable with Mays at the helm at this point. His passing in week-1 was terrific ...weak team or not. Craycraft is a far too obvious pattern passer.