Author Topic: Illinois State  (Read 11270 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Illinois State
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:00:36 AM »
Well, it's the last game of the season (if anyone noticed or cares) and we are playing at Ill St. (if anyone noticed or cares)
Is there anything of interest in this game?  Obvious Bo played the seniors on senior day and they played well, best game of the season IMO.  Does he play next year's team Saturday?   
I love our WBB team, but good grief, it's the last game of the FB season and we have more talk about WBB than FOOTBALL?? 
Will Bo be back?  Will his coordinators be back? 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois State
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:57 AM »
While I still went to home games and the WV game, once we lost to Butler I lost ALL interest in the season.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
As painful as sitting through the Butler game, I managed to pull myself to all the remaining home games mainly because I had purchased season tickets. However, I really not caring about the outcomes.

If we would have lost the MBB game to Heidelberg, I would have very little interests in MBB games. Luckily they didn't.
I used to go to most of the home games. I did not go to any games the last two years of Slocum's tenure and I only went to one game last year. I hope this team can turn it around. They have to play defense and not just street ball.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
While I still went to home games and the WV game, once we lost to Butler I lost ALL interest in the season.
you and almost everybody else!  we went to all the games, but the last 3 had VERY few fans.  The weather was awful but still, est. 1000 for a MVFC home game is embarrassing.  That is Slippery Rock attendance.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 12:11:25 PM »
Is this Bo's last game at YSU ?

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 12:49:38 PM »
When they post attendance it includes season ticket holders whether they attend or not.  is that correct.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 01:33:58 PM »
When they post attendance it includes season ticket holders whether they attend or not.  is that correct.
that IS correct.  YSU Saturday and Browns Sunday and I had plenty of room to stretch out at both! 

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 03:34:41 PM »
you and almost everybody else!  we went to all the games, but the last 3 had VERY few fans.  The weather was awful but still, est. 1000 for a MVFC home game is embarrassing.  That is Slippery Rock attendance.

I was one of the 1000 people at the UNI game. It was freezing. I went to the concession stand at half time to get a hot chocolate and they ran out. How could they run out anything for only 1000 people? What did they expect to sell in that weather, ice cold water? (they had plenty of them!)

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 04:13:50 PM »
Is this Bo's last game at YSU ?
If I were a betting man I would have to say yes. Bo's payments from Nebraska run through February.  He must notify Nebraska 30 days prior to a pending move and monthly payments would be adjusted accordingly. In all fairness to the University,  current players and potential recruits if he does leave I hope he does it at seasons end and not at the beginning of the year
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:25:54 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 04:35:00 PM »
since absolutely no one gives a sh** about the Ill. St game, anybody up for speculating about who might be the new coach?
Vince Kehres is the most obvious choice and he DID interview for the Kent job before they hired Lewis, the OC from Syracuse.  He has a couple small kids would be big pay upgrade.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
Vince would be a great hire

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 06:35:50 PM »
A bit off topic but I cannot imagine there would be any interest in hiring a coach from Mount Union. Not knocking Vince but that is just too big of a step. More so I think Vince would be crazy to try for a job at YSU or any other college at our level or higher. He has it made where he is. Nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond.

Sad to see the season come to an end, not the season I hoped for but I enjoy YSU football no matter what.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 07:04:01 PM »
A bit off topic but I cannot imagine there would be any interest in hiring a coach from Mount Union. Not knocking Vince but that is just too big of a step. More so I think Vince would be crazy to try for a job at YSU or any other college at our level or higher. He has it made where he is. Nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond.

Sad to see the season come to an end, not the season I hoped for but I enjoy YSU football no matter what.

UT Chattanooga hired John Carrols HC a few years ago, that was a d3 to d1 hire, Same thing with university of buffalo a MAC school that hired Wisconsin Whitewaters head coach in 2014. D3 to D1

It’s not exactly unprecedented.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 07:11:30 PM »
Not to knock the guy but he inherited an already perennial power from his father. He built nothing. We're also talking D3...

Offline Kandrase

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 07:33:54 PM »
Not to knock the guy but he inherited an already perennial power from his father. He built nothing. We're also talking D3...

I will admit that I'm super biased, I'm both a Mount Union and YSU alum. Yes, he did inherit a perennial power, he's not his dad, but I believe their coaching philosophy works anywhere.

I wouldn't advocate any D3 guy for YSU, but Mount Union is much closer to a low level FCS team than your average D3 team. and I don't think anyone would really bat an eye if a highly succesful pioneer league coach interview for the YSU job.

For example look at their recruiting footprint. We've had a lot of complaints about BO being too in love with local guys. Well Mount Union recruits nationally, with an even higher percentage of out of state guys than we do:

Found this on Mount's website, players by home state:

3 California
7 Florida
1 Georgia
2 Illinois
3 Indiana
1 Louisiana
3 Maryland
12 Michigan
1 North Carolina
2 New Jersey
13 Pennsylvania