Author Topic: men's basketball  (Read 7891 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
men's basketball
« on: November 13, 2018, 09:29:59 AM »
YSU gets win number 1 with win over The Berg

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: men's basketball
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 01:05:50 PM »
I am glad that they won. Boys have to learn to play defense...... Giving up 83 points to a D3 team was not good. I have not seen any offense and defense scheme yet. They were still playing like the street ball.

Offline Dmorton

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »
I wouldn't get excited about beating a D111 Team.  I'm sure coach knows he has alor of work ahead of him.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »
83 points given up a D3 team. Yikes.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 08:41:23 PM »
Only one more D-3 team left on the schedule. 

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
Gotta give Heidelberg credit.  They played hard and hit a lot of big 3's to keep them in the game.  Figured it was over when they were down 18 in the first half. 

I was glad to see Covington have a good game after really struggling the first 2.  I really like Simmons...he plays fast and has a long wing span.  Pederson continues to play well. 

It was good to see so many fast breaks and finishing.  The turnovers is a big concern every game.

Will be interesting with 3 games this weekend. 

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:59:51 AM »
Based on what we have seen the first three games it looks like another 20 Lost season. For this program to grow we need to keep players in the offseason period lot of young Talent on the team and if the team stays together next year will make progress. We are very young. Staying together is the key. We keep turning over the program is going nowhere.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 11:41:21 AM »
Based on what we have seen the first three games it looks like another 20 Lost season. For this program to grow we need to keep players in the offseason period lot of young Talent on the team and if the team stays together next year will make progress. We are very young. Staying together is the key. We keep turning over the program is going nowhere.

I agree...the key is keeping this unit together.  I think there's a lot of potential talent with these freshman  and you hope Naz & Covington continue to improve and if the class of Junior transfers return next year then maybe we have something. 

Offline jbags

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 05:10:50 PM »
That has always been the problem. Young freshman that need to grow feel that they should get way more minutes for a 20 loss team so they leave. We never see an entire class stay for 4 years. Same with 2 year JC kids. If they don't get a ton of minutes their first year they leave. Academics also enter the picture.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »
If this squad can stay intact next year, you'll see progress.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 08:02:46 PM »
I agree with the theme of this thread that we need to maintain this roster.   I'm hoping that it will since all the players were recruited by this staff.   Coach is playing everyone so guys are getting their playing time.

I don't believe this will be 20 loss season.   we'll find out a lot with the three games in the Bronx,so I could change my mind if we go 0 for 3.

Cut down on turnovers and close out on the 3 ball are a must and over all jelling as a unit.  Not sure these guys are playing together as a team and it might take a while as both a new roster and lack of 4 year players in the program.

Excited about the 4 frosh .   Might be the best class at YSU in over a decade.

Offline mudclods

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 08:41:25 PM »
I agree with the theme of this thread that we need to maintain this roster.   I'm hoping that it will since all the players were recruited by this staff.   Coach is playing everyone so guys are getting their playing time.

I don't believe this will be 20 loss season.   we'll find out a lot with the three games in the Bronx,so I could change my mind if we go 0 for 3.

Cut down on turnovers and close out on the 3 ball are a must and over all jelling as a unit.  Not sure these guys are playing together as a team and it might take a while as both a new roster and lack of 4 year players in the program.

Excited about the 4 frosh .   Might be the best class at YSU in over a decade.

My thoughts 100%.

Unfortunately other than Coach Calhoun getting acclimated and getting a year under Covington and Naz's belt, last year was basically a throw away year

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 10:58:11 AM »
I saw in the Vindicator that the Men's basketball team was stuck on a bridge in New York City for 8 hours due to the snow.  Too bad.  Energy will be difficult tonight.

It seems like we have better players and athletes compared to last year, but they are not in sync on both offense and defense.  I think we need to use the full court pressure only occasionally for this group to be able to keep the opposition from scoring so easily.  I know it is the coaches plan, but it hurts us badly when used too much. Maybe when the rotations are settled the players will be more coordinated. 

As I see it no video for the games in NYC.  Hope for a good showing.

Offline OleYSUfan

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 11:54:45 AM »
I saw in the Vindicator that the Men's basketball team was stuck on a bridge in New York City for 8 hours due to the snow.  Too bad.  Energy will be difficult tonight.

It seems like we have better players and athletes compared to last year, but they are not in sync on both offense and defense.  I think we need to use the full court pressure only occasionally for this group to be able to keep the opposition from scoring so easily.  I know it is the coaches plan, but it hurts us badly when used too much. Maybe when the rotations are settled the players will be more coordinated. 

As I see it no video for the games in NYC.  Hope for a good showing.

I agree Penguin 68:

the full court pressure hurts us more than it helps. Duke uses the full-court pressure, but drops back to guard their man quickly. The YSU players are totally in disarray and totally lose their players and the opposing team gets an easy layup basket.

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2018, 01:13:49 PM »
I see we are 11.5 point underdogs to Columbia tonight.