Author Topic: Indiana State  (Read 31504 times)

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Indiana State
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2018, 08:13:02 PM »
If you do not win and get the support of boosters, alumni and the general public revenue will be down.  This is not good for the athletic budget.  When you let men's basketball and football become below average you are going to have money issues.  Good results in basketball and football is also good PR for the university.   

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2018, 08:26:25 PM »
If you do not win and get the support of boosters, alumni and the general public revenue will be down.  This is not good for the athletic budget.  When you let men's basketball and football become below average you are going to have money issues.  Good results in basketball and football is also good PR for the university.   

we should have .over up  into the AAC if the MAC didnt want  yo. 

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2018, 09:35:26 PM »
If only there was a simple answer, obviously there are issues somewhere, talent, coaching, administration, I do not know.

Ironically withholding support whether it be money or presence at events only makes the whole situation worse and harder to recover from.  Harder to impress recruits, less money for better coaches, pretty simple stuff.

Has to be a better more effective way to channel concerns and frustrations. Not even sure where to direct these efforts, athletic department, school administration, trustees or elsewhere?

Anyone know of a process?
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2018, 09:44:51 PM »
Is JT watching???????

Does he or Strollo have the balls to tell Bo to kick rocks and say see ya ?

Offline GoGuins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2018, 11:34:56 PM »
Is JT watching???????

Does he or Strollo have the balls to tell Bo to kick rocks and say see ya ?

Does he have the cajones to tell Strollo to kick rocks? He should have been gone years ago

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2018, 07:46:41 AM »
Bo has good relationships with his players.  Not so much with administrators. 

His problem is that he hired rookie coaches because we don't pay "Jack Squat" to the staff.  You get what you pay for.  We are  getting what we deserve when it comes to coaching salaries
 Sorry, but had to say it.
Power, these are the same salaries that coached us to a national championship game just a few years ago. They are right in the middle of the national average and slightly higher then North Dakota State and South Dakota state and the rest of the Missouri. That was part of the reason why Nic McKissic Luke joined the staff

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2018, 07:58:57 AM »
Bo has good relationships with his players.  Not so much with administrators. 

His problem is that he hired rookie coaches because we don't pay "Jack Squat" to the staff.  You get what you pay for.  We are  getting what we deserve when it comes to coaching salaries
 Sorry, but had to say it.
Power, these are the same salaries that coached us to a national championship game just a few years ago. They are right in the middle of the national average and slightly higher then North Dakota State and South Dakota state and the rest of the Missouri. That was part of the reason why Nic McKissic Luke joined the staff

I am not sure you are correct.  We are paying only 60-70k for assistants a d Bo gave up some of his salary so he could pay his coordinators more (my understanding).  You could be a truck driver and make more than the assistant coaches so why would anyone want to do it?

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2018, 09:00:15 AM »
  YSU is an average FCS program at best, paying assistant coaches 60-70 K is reasonable.  The goal for most of these coaches should be to prove yourself and then move on to be an FBS assistant or become a head coach.

That is part of working your way up the ladder in the coaching business.   Pelini after the game on Saturday blamed everyone but himself and his staff.  He is a joke as a head coaching, and our recruiting has been awful.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2018, 09:41:34 AM »
I know he will never do it, but Bo should apologize for his post game conference at penguins playbook tonight(If he shows up) and J.T. and Strollo should demand that he does. Don't get me wrong players deserve corrective criticism at times but that was way overboard. This is the same kind of stuff that got him fired at Nebraska and it does nothing but give YSU a black eye. Everywhere you look on the internet RAW VIDEO BO PELINI!!

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2018, 01:20:55 PM »
  YSU is an average FCS program at best, paying assistant coaches 60-70 K is reasonable.  The goal for most of these coaches should be to prove yourself and then move on to be an FBS assistant or become a head coach.

That is part of working your way up the ladder in the coaching business.   Pelini after the game on Saturday blamed everyone but himself and his staff.  He is a joke as a head coaching, and our recruiting has been awful.

Saying he did not blame himself is simply not accurate.  I just watched the presser and he did throw his name in as part of the blame.  Believe me, I am not a fan of Bo but facts are facts. 

Overall it’s a sad state of affairs right now all the way around. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2018, 08:10:19 PM »
Some people on here are hitting this just to push an agenda. A few things:

1. We had only two fumbles in the game. one was the end-around drop  (not sure which TB had the ball) and the other was by Mays. That was a terrible snap over his head. A few of you are just looking to spread hate for Mays because the team is performing better when he is brought in over VG. I could give a crap what you think of him, but this is obvious to anyone that watches the games. If you do not think Mays is the guy for 2019, that's fine, then lets get some frosh-blood in there. You cannot reinsert VG, as we did last weekend. as ISU is in an all-out blitz mode to stop Mays, VG does not stand a chance back there.

2. Why does the OC, stop the WR end-arounds once he inserts Mays, or brings VG back in? it is just killing both of them, especially VG as he is not an off-tackle runner.

3. Bo is this team's head-coach (until he wants to leave), you have to realize what he is working with:
-----As the HC for such a huge tradition as Nebraska, Bo's volunteers there where as good as any coach we have (less one). SO Bo can have issues and/or be only a fair coach and be successful for the Corn-huskers (2-3 losses). His coordinators there were great (compared to what you will find at the FCS level. When he came here, he had two tremendous coordinators (for the FCS level) in Carl and Shane. As with Nebraska, this took some heat off Bo. At our level half of the coaches are coming in with zero experience and many times even less talent. It is just as (if not more) important to keep solid staff than it is to recruit solid players. We do not have this at the higher end. I am not so sure that Bo is the capable of being a position coach, as most head-coaches are at this level.

4. Good question in the other thread about the bringing in of transfers. I feel that the transfers are fine, but in some cases they are not very good, even for I-AA/FCS. So this gives the young guys (we recruited and prep seniors) a false sense of security. They see these "so-so" guys from big programs that are not much better than they are ...and falsely feel they are playing at a big-time IA/FBS level. Here is proof. Avery Moss openly admitted that Derek Rivers was a better end than he (when Moss arrived at YSU), but he was smart enough to see that and stayed tight with Rivers and went in the NFL draft after improving his game.

5. The "state of Youngstown" is missing it's capitol. The Valley's HS's are not producing talent at a level anywhere near what is was in the 90's. Heck Heacock saw this is the early 2000's and cut way back on the local recruits. Sorry Bo, but it is no better now ...10-years later. On the contrary, it is 10-years worse.We have to find the best players available, no matter where they come from. Have a list of the top-10 at each position and work your way down. Then, once we develop our offensive and defensive identity (in terms of scheme). Then a coach can start looking for specific types of players ...just as coach Shane did with QB's and TB's. Heck that is all SDSU and NDSU do at this point is fill holes.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 09:01:01 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2018, 11:52:23 PM »
Paying 70k is below average for a top tier FCS school.  We say we are a top tier school with awesome facilities right.  Again, like I said before we are trying to run a D1 program on a Dollar General budget. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2018, 10:13:40 AM »
regarding 1AA comment regarding "The Valley's HS's are not producing talent at a level anywhere near what is was in the 90's."  I took a quick look at OSU's roster.  While they have a good representation from "NE Ohio" which includes Cleveland, I could find only 2 from what I would call the Mahoning Valley. Duarte, a SR TE from Poland and Kristan a SR P from Canfield   That is, count it, ONE position player from the Valley.  Good grief, they have 2 from Las Vegas and 4 from Powell OH (for any that are married, you'll know Powell as the home of the Polaris shipping center, but a very small community. of less than 12,000 people) 
While I'm inclined to challenge blanket statements like 1AA's, the facts would seem to support him 100%.  We'll have plenty of time to discuss this going forward, but I would be interested in theories of what is going on in HS football in the region.  We have only DIII Canfield as a top seed in the playoffs this year.  Pretty poor showing again.   
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline gbs20

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »
Given that Valley football is not what it used to be(doesnt matter why), the approach of the football program should be to hire assistants who have connections outside the Valley, instead of cronies. 

One comment about Powell.  It is indeed the location of Polaris, but using it as a hometown hides the fact that there numerous growing communities in and around it that have increasingly strong football programs. The town itself may have 12,000 people, but those kids are from the town in name only. THere is no Powell HS for example.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 11:01:04 AM »
Given that Valley football is not what it used to be(doesnt matter why), the approach of the football program should be to hire assistants who have connections outside the Valley, instead of cronies. 

One comment about Powell.  It is indeed the location of Polaris, but using it as a hometown hides the fact that there numerous growing communities in and around it that have increasingly strong football programs. The town itself may have 12,000 people, but those kids are from the town in name only. There is no Powell HS for example.
You seem to want to make Olentangy Liberty into some football juggernaut?  It is almost exactly the size of Boardman or Austintown, and did make the playoffs as a 4 seed and a 7-4 record (Fitch is the valley's only D-1 qualifier as a 6th seed and a 8-2 record)  OSU roster spots from Fitch and Boardman combined, 0 OLHS 4.  Just doing my homework on 1AA's statement and found him 100% credible. I don't care about Powell football in the slightest.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!