Author Topic: SIU In-Game Thread  (Read 19396 times)

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: SIU In-Game Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 10:33:07 PM »
Played a good 4th qtr, did what they had to do to get a win. Turned out to be a nice evening for a game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2018, 10:38:57 AM »
I was unable to attend the game yesterday, for medical reasons. I payed for ESPN+ and got Jim Campbell and a color man. Jim Cambell has never changed. This color guy needs to settle down and he can be a good commentator. I also always try to listen to Bob Hannon. It was as if the two sets of announcers were watching two different games. Campbell was treating it like the "laugher" that it was, while Hannon (and especially Muranski) were raving. I mean we only had 2 rushing 1st-downs in the entire first half. We did not even score a TD until 4:36 left in the game. It was clear that Campbell was shocked at our lack of performance, then to listen to WKBN (especially Muranski) you would think we just knocked off NDSU.

Still YSU can do better than Campbell as a play-by-play man. I remember when WKBN brought in Jim Campbell to try and replace Don Gardner ...just a little too meek for the roll. Great sports knowledge though.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:50:12 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2018, 11:01:13 AM »
That was the worst game plan offensively I have ever witnessed. Do we have anyone else that can call the plays for now on?

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 11:14:31 AM »
Pelini's postgame comments were that the team is not focused and they are making too many mental mistakes.  Could it be the kids are playing scared because they know Pelini will go postal on them.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »
I was unable to attend the game yesterday, for medical reasons. I payed for ESPN+ and got Jim Campbell and a color man. Jim Cambell has never changed. This color guy needs to settle down and he can be a good commentator. I also always try to listen to Bob Hannon. It was as if the two sets of announcers were watching two different games. Campbell was treating it like the "laugher" that it was, while Hannon (and especially Muranski) were raving. I mean we only had 2 rushing 1st-downs in the entire first half. We did not even score a TD until 4:36 left in the game. It was clear that Campbell was shocked at our lack of performance, then to listen to WKBN (especially Muranski) you would think we just knocked off NDSU.

Still YSU can do better than Campbell as a play-by-play man. I remember when WKBN brought in Jim Campbell to try and replace Don Gardner ...just a little too meek for the roll. Great sports knowledge though.

He's no Don Gardner !   LOl.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 11:53:42 AM »
Pelini's postgame comments were that the team is not focused and they are making too many mental mistakes.  Could it be the kids are playing scared because they know Pelini will go postal on them.
Bo, in his post game comments, almost rountinely critizied the players for missing assignments.
This might be true to the certain situations. I am not sure if it applied to all. We have to realize that the players from the other team also had their assignments. If our players could not reacti to the changes in the play by the team, it could be that our players were not as good.
As a result of their better play calling or superior execution, our players might not be able to perform their assignments. Therefore , IMO, our guys were  not as good or not being coached better. It was not just about our players missing assignments. They other guys were just better.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 12:12:51 PM »
Bo has done nothing but criticize his players the entire year. Holds his coaching staff accountable for very little, never used to be that way

Offline Penguin Ice

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2018, 03:44:18 PM »
Bo has done nothing but criticize his players the entire year. Holds his coaching staff accountable for very little, never used to be that way

Obviously you have never been in the locker room. You are completely wrong

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »
There are issues in the locker room.  The reason we are not performing to standards

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »

I am surprised that you are surprised by Hannon and Ed, they are being paid to announce the game and in a favorable light for YSU. Seem to recall the Rubber band man lost his job for not doing that.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »

I am surprised that you are surprised by Hannon and Ed, they are being paid to announce the game and in a favorable light for YSU. Seem to recall the Rubber band man lost his job for not doing that.

Rubber band man haha. Where else can you get good punt hangtime info? A man ahead of his time.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2018, 11:45:12 AM »
There are issues in the locker room.  The reason we are not performing to standards

I said this October 6th.  I am bringing this back up again.  Savon Smith said it all in the post game presser vs Indiana State

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2018, 06:08:24 PM »

I said this October 6th.  I am bringing this back up again.  Savon Smith said it all in the post game presser vs Indiana State
I would like to ask this question that's been on my mind for a long time. Does anyone think the high amount of transfers and Juco players Bo has brought in over the years affected his first three recruiting classes coming out of high school and the last one under Wolf? Don't get me wrong here some were definitely a necessity and big time gets. However this can create tensions, adversity and unity problems over the course of time by original recruits who thought they were going to be the guy. Some Juco and transfer players all have a story to tell some for the good and some for the bad..IMHO I think Bo has gone to the well one to many times..and certain players are not happy about it

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2018, 12:36:56 PM »
I would like to ask this question that's been on my mind for a long time. Does anyone think the high amount of transfers and Juco players Bo has brought in over the years affected his first three recruiting classes coming out of high school and the last one under Wolf? Don't get me wrong here some were definitely a necessity and big time gets. However this can create tensions, adversity and unity problems over the course of time by original recruits who thought they were going to be the guy. Some Juco and transfer players all have a story to tell some for the good and some for the bad..IMHO I think Bo has gone to the well one to many times..and certain players are not happy about it

Don't know if it's lead to tension on the team, but if you're going to bring in a QB (the most important position on the team) for 1 year, then that guy better be a difference maker and a considerable upgrade from what you have.  MVG has been neither.  He's a decent player, and probably could have had a good career at the FCS level had he transferred sooner.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2018, 01:01:57 PM »

Don't know if it's lead to tension on the team, but if you're going to bring in a QB (the most important position on the team) for 1 year, then that guy better be a difference maker and a considerable upgrade from what you have.  MVG has been neither.  He's a decent player, and probably could have had a good career at the FCS level had he transferred sooner.

He's the best QB on the roster.