Author Topic: Spring Practice  (Read 33073 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Spring Practice
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:13 AM »
Pelini see’s no value in it.

This is an issue for me. Spring game is a big deal and should be much bigger. I used to take my daughter to the OSU spring game ...it was free or $5. Now they sell 80k tickets, at a much higher price, as Tressel put a real emphasis on it and that has continued. Without the spring game all I do is question position depth and Bo's recruiting.
Bo is right, the spring game is meaningless for football, but JT is right, it is a great time to focus on ticket sales!  Bo needs to remember he isn't in the football business, he is in the entertainment business.  The spring game could/should be a focal point to use to generate interest in preseason season ticket sales!  They are missing the boat from a sports marketing prospective yet again.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »
Bo could care less. This is why he likes being here so much. He can just coach football. If he didn't have to talk to the media or do one interview, he would be happy. He is not here to entertain us.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2018, 09:09:25 AM »
Bo could care less. This is why he likes being here so much. He can just coach football. If he didn't have to talk to the media or do one interview, he would be happy. He is not here to entertain us.
what you say is very clearly true.  But what I said about being in the entertainment business is also true.  If YSU football was simply a business, it would be closed. Bo should understand there is significant responsibility to other parts of the job than just coaching.  If not, his boss should explain it to him (yeah, right)  If you look at price of season tickets between us and the top teams in 1AA and the number of season ticket sales sold between YSU and the top teams, you are literally talking millions of dollars difference in football revenue. 
Bo's philosophy of "win and they will come" isn't without validity, but it takes more.  It takes marketing and that is YSU's great weakness.  I do like the "YSU and Proud" campaign, I wonder if the administration would hire that firm to do sports marketing?  We do absolutely -0- and leave millions "on the table" because of it.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2018, 01:07:59 PM »
Ytown Chief you nailed it why Bo will never be a big time college coach again.  Coaching is just part of the job.  Fundraising, stroking boosters, and the media part of it is a big piece of the job.  Not only does he not want to do it, he is not good at it as well.

He could be a big time defensive coordinator, but he would have to recruit, and he despises that as well.  Let's be  honest, if he misses the playoffs this year, that would be 3 of 4 years no playoffs.  I am not sure he has done enough as a coach to merit a big time job.   Pelini is a pain to deal with.   Most schools don't want or need that.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:10:18 PM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2018, 01:55:24 PM »
Ytown Chief you nailed it why Bo will never be a big time college coach again.  Coaching is just part of the job.  Fundraising, stroking boosters, and the media part of it is a big piece of the job.  Not only does he not want to do it, he is not good at it as well.

He could be a big time defensive coordinator, but he would have to recruit, and he despises that as well.  Let's be  honest, if he misses the playoffs this year, that would be 3 of 4 years no playoffs.  I am not sure he has done enough as a coach to merit a big time job.   Pelini is a pain to deal with.   Most schools don't want or need that.

Yep true. I mean heck the guy was just told not to come back to a local high school HOF event because of the foul language and some of the convos he was having when speaking. Hence why I've been saying all along I believe he sticks around here longer than people think he will. Unless it's for an NFL assistant coach job.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2018, 03:26:19 PM »
I think the real proof is our coordinators leaving. If Bo was short-term, both of them would have stayed. However, a title here and Bo does get bigger offers.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 03:27:21 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2018, 03:50:00 PM »
I think the real proof is our coordinators leaving. If Bo was short-term, both of them would have stayed. However, a title here and Bo does get bigger offers.
I think just the opposite it true.  If you are a coordinator for lame duck coach and you have an opportunity to get out, you're going to get out.  I thought both leaving was the first sign Bo was "one and done" like his QB?  (coincidence?  I'll have to check with Leroy Jethro Gibbs on that)
Frankly, I think the BG opportunity was a nice step up for Carl and Monty had too many philosophical differences with Bo to go another season.  I also think it will be easier for YSU to select EITHER as a replacement for Bo in 1 or 2 years with the additional outside experience.  If I were betting and I don't bet, I'd say this is Bo's last year and Carl comes back to replace him.