Author Topic: ISU In-Game Thread  (Read 23120 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: ISU In-Game Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2017, 11:49:06 AM »
Let's see our "running" qb passes for over 300 yards and we score over 60 points, another bad day for Monty I guess.

Yeah and how many did he throw for last week? Come on guinpen, you know ISUb this year is not a a defense to measure any type of offensive success against

I was making a point, I get tired of the Monty bashing all the time. If he can get hammered when we lose he should get kudos when we win. Pretty simple.

Not when you play a D2 football team.

Excuse me but it is not as though we battled neck-to-neck against this supposed DII football team. A coach has just as much work to do against ISU, as ILS. A weaker opponent just makes it easier to execute.

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2017, 02:25:56 PM »
Ricky had a career day and good for him.  But the bottom line is we cannot compete with the top teams in our league.  One factor impacting this is QB talent.  When they stop our running game we are done we haven't had a QB who could take over a game in a long time.  Look at what NDSU did to us this year we played great defense in stopping their running & passing game & their QB took charge & won the game.  Sure we made it to the NCG last year & that was mostly due to being in the easy bracket.  If we were in the other bracket we probably wouldn't have made it past the second round.  We need to go out & get a stud QB, probably a transfer, who can take charge & win a game when needed.  If we continue with what we have not much will change.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2017, 09:26:58 AM »
Ricky had a career day and good for him.  But the bottom line is we cannot compete with the top teams in our league.  One factor impacting this is QB talent.  When they stop our running game we are done we haven't had a QB who could take over a game in a long time.  Look at what NDSU did to us this year we played great defense in stopping their running & passing game & their QB took charge & won the game.  Sure we made it to the NCG last year & that was mostly due to being in the easy bracket.  If we were in the other bracket we probably wouldn't have made it past the second round.  We need to go out & get a stud QB, probably a transfer, who can take charge & win a game when needed.  If we continue with what we have not much will change.
Not sure how you can say "we cannot compete" when we played 5 ranked 1AA teams and 1 1A team.  Yes, we only won 1 but lost 4 on the last play of the game and didn't come prepared to play against Ill St.  We competed against NDSU, USD, SDSU, UNI, and Pitt, and I don't see how you can claim we can't?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2017, 10:24:13 AM »
We typically loose 3-4 league games a year.  Last play or not we still loose.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2017, 10:41:36 AM »
Maybe, by your math and logic, then we typically win 4-5 league games, but many are close and a close win is tantamount to a loss? 
To me, being competitive means you have a chance to win, I assume to you it means you win every close contest?

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2017, 11:51:05 AM »
This team isn't playoff caliber. Proved it in the game vs Illinois State. Playoff teams don't lose like that. At Home

Offline dwj

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2017, 11:57:34 AM »
Wins get you into the playoffs not how competitive you were in the losses.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2017, 02:55:48 PM »
Wins get you into the playoffs not how competitive you were in the losses.
Now you're trying to change your story.  Yes, ultimately wins do the trick, but what you said was " But the bottom line is we cannot compete with the top teams in our league."  What I am saying is your statement isn't correct, we are VERY COMPETITIVE with them. 

EVEN with the Pitt loss, even with the USD loss, even with the NDSU loss, and even with the UNI loss, we were still VERY MUCH A PLAYOFF TEAM BECAUSE of the competitive nature of the losses.  Only the non-competitive loss to Ill St. did us in. 

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2017, 03:55:25 PM »
I think you are both correct, but competitive losses is well below in priority and would only come into play as a deciding factor in the event of a tie (and that is not official). I mean we could have beaten ILS and lost a close game to Ohio State and we would still be out. Too many losses. There is a point where who cares about how close the losses were, a loss is a loss...is a loss.

As to adding a stud Qb I could not be more against anything & trust only Montgomery's recruiting at that position. If Bo wants a different style QB, I have every confidence that coach Shane can find a person. When is the last time you ever heard of Delaware? A couple of stud Qb recruits with "keys to the city", deep play-off runs, NFL drafts, the NCAA begins to "sniff around" and then all of your other recruiting practices come under suspicion as well. Then YSU is not competitive because we lack any talent.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 03:56:43 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2017, 11:15:03 PM »
Either way we most likely would've won the National Title last year without all the suspensions. ;)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2017, 08:42:03 AM »
Either way we most likely would've won the National Title last year without all the suspensions. ;)
I'd like to think so too, but that JMU team looked better to me at virtually every position, not just the 4 suspension replacements, one of which was Jalyn Powell, who I would argue it the MVP if this year's team.   I think, with the 4 suspensions we would have been a closer runner-up.  That JMU team was in my top 5 1AA teams ever.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »

Would've made the score closer but JMU was the better team.

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »

Would've made the score closer but JMU was the better team.

He aint lyin

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2017, 10:46:11 AM »
With Ruiz in the game, would have been a different team as they do not stop him.