Author Topic: South Dakota State  (Read 31810 times)

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota State
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2017, 06:18:25 AM »
SDSU  definitely has a lot of talent  on offense with no doubt a few good NFL prospects---however if their offense was all that strong it would've stayed on the field a lot longer than 14 minutes in a 60 minute game--had we been able to put pressure on their qb they might've been on the field for closer to 4 minutes. 8)

Thay team was a little snake bit.  If we played them 10 times They might beat us 4 or 5 of them.  The fact that we possessed the ball for such long periods really had an effect in their ability to get into any sort of rhythm.  They are a pass first team and use it to set up the run.  When they weren't able to get thay going they were doomed and we never let them get their machine untracked.  They will be around and in the playoffs.  we out physicaled them (if that is a word) and it prevented them from ever settling in.  It also disrupted the timing on some ofntheir routes.  Brilliant game plan by the coaching staff.  They used a carbon copy of what NDSU did to them in the playoffs last year.  same type of game where not NDSU and YSU had forced a safety as well.  the only difference was NDSU held the ball for 40 min and we held it for 45 min.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2017, 08:21:53 AM »
Maybe I was at a different game. Their pass protection did impress me but yesterday their offense sure did not look like the stronger team to me. Only 3 minutes TOP in the second half and zero points, pretty weak. Over 45 minutes TOP to less then 15, I'd say that YSU's offense, at least for yesterday, looked pretty strong.

I usually am a nervous wreck until we have like a 40 point lead with 2 minutes to go. But the way our D was playing I felt comfortable from the near the end of the third on.

I feel good with Mays, tried to force a couple of passes but it all worked out. Like that he can run when needed, but I never feel good about a qb that wants to run first.

We lost some very good players on D from last year, a credit to the team that the D is playing, at least so far this year, as good as they are.

One of the better games I have been at for a while. Kudos to the players and the coaches.
I was at the same game as you!  I agree 100% with your points.  We played a GREAT game, on both sides of the ball.  This negativity is stunning to me.  We needed a fumble and an interception to hold them to 7?  WTF, we MADE the fumble with hustle, and Armond MADE the int. with a great reaching catch.  What do good teams do?  They MAKE PLAYS when needed.  As to the strength of their OL.  They had 3 1st downs rushing, 65 yards on the ground, less than 1 quarter TOP and scored 7 when averaging 44 coming in and these guys give credit to their OL???  They threw from 3 step drops all night because they knew they wouldn't have time.   Guinpen, I enjoyed the game we went to, hope the others aren't too depressed from their game!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2017, 09:40:57 AM »
SDSU  definitely has a lot of talent  on offense with no doubt a few good NFL prospects---however if their offense was all that strong it would've stayed on the field a lot longer than 14 minutes in a 60 minute game--had we been able to put pressure on their qb they might've been on the field for closer to 4 minutes. 8)

Thay team was a little snake bit.  If we played them 10 times They might beat us 4 or 5 of them.  The fact that we possessed the ball for such long periods really had an effect in their ability to get into any sort of rhythm.  They are a pass first team and use it to set up the run.  When they weren't able to get thay going they were doomed and we never let them get their machine untracked.  They will be around and in the playoffs.  we out physicaled them (if that is a word) and it prevented them from ever settling in.  It also disrupted the timing on some ofntheir routes.  Brilliant game plan by the coaching staff.  They used a carbon copy of what NDSU did to them in the playoffs last year.  same type of game where not NDSU and YSU had forced a safety as well.  the only difference was NDSU held the ball for 40 min and we held it for 45 min.
Honestly I've read several of the post-game comments here and had to stop and see if I was on a SDSU blog or a YSU blog!?!?!  We pounded them between the tackles for 4 quarters and they never were able to consistently stop the inside running.  They were never able to consistently run the ball nor take 5-7 step drops and throw the passes they normally throw.  These superior O & D line advantages that carry over game to game.   This was not a bad team.  If they were bad, some 4-5 of those 8-10 yard runs would have been 50 yard TD’s.  But we clearly beat them physically on both sides of the ball all night.  TOP is often a very misleading stat, but 45-15 is DAMN impressive.  IMO we play them 10 times we win at least 8 or 9.  Good grief guys, we have a QB that can’t throw the ball 10 yards downfield and they have the box packed and we still get 5 yards per carry.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
Great game, but it really looked like SDSU was the stronger team on offence for sure. Their passing game is strong for FCS (maybe even most of FBS) and team size was markedly bigger than we are. It has been said on this board that our uniforms make us look smaller, but I don't know.  They moved the ball at will for the most part, but turnovers really hurt them.  Thank God for Bo and company coaching the defense and special teams.  And we have a nice running game to use clock.  Our teams pre Bo would have been in deep trouble against them. Would not like to play their offence again. 

As for QB, it looks like Hunter may be questionable at best the rest of the year. Nathan Mays looks ok, but will need to pass the ball down field if we are to have a chance to be really good this year. Again Ricky Davis may be needed with Nathan Mays running and possibly getting hurt.  If that happens I hope Ricky is up to the challenge; I think he just might be after all he has been through.
SDSU stronger??  We pushed them around, both sides of the ball, all night long, how can you possible say that? 
Regarding size perception.  Simply not true.  Hard to follow the chart maybe, but we totaled 5" taller all players combined, and exactly the same weight. Starting O below:
      SDSU   Height   Wt         YSU   Height   Wt
         inches   lbs            inches   lbs
WR     11    Marquise Lewis     71   190   TE     86    Kuhn, Shane     76   245
WR     19    Jake Wieneke     76   215   WR     4     Patterson, D.     74   190
WR     1     Jacob Brown     71   190   WR     5     Bailey, Alvin     71   180
TE     86    Dallas Goedert     77   260   QB     6     Wells, Hunter     77   215
QB     3     Taryn Christion    74   220   TB     37    McCaster, Tevin    70   195
RB     44    BradyMengarelli    70   195   TE     83    Rader, Kevin     77   250
LT     68    Charlie Harmon     78   300   RT     71    Fraser, Cameron    76   290
LG     51    TianoPupungatoa    77   310   RG     74    Zinni, Jacob     76   305
C     62    Jacob Ohnesorge    75   295   C     70    Hrynkiewicz, V.    76   300
RG     77    Wes Genant     76   300   LG     60    Wiggins, Gavin     76   300
RT     70    Tyler Weir     76   300   LT     61    Spencer, Justin    77   305
            821   2775            826   2775

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2017, 11:07:33 AM »
The game is over. Enough.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
I don't get you guys.  If I see something that doesn't interest me, I don't read it and don't comment on it.
Check the top of the thread, this thread is labeled "South Dakota State".  Game is over, yes, but thread is over when guys don't comment any more.  There is a thread started called "South Dakota" for those that don't want to review the SDSU game.  Question has come up repeated over the years about our players being smaller.  Simply isn't true and I did the research to substantiate my claim.  Read it, don't read it, I couldn't care less, but I don't get your objection to posting.

Online guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 02, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »

I assume this is tongue-in-cheek.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2017, 09:42:42 AM »

Honestly I've read several of the post-game comments here and had to stop and see if I was on a SDSU blog or a YSU blog!?!?!  We pounded them between the tackles for 4 quarters and they never were able to consistently stop the inside running.  They were never able to consistently run the ball nor take 5-7 step drops and throw the passes they normally throw.  These superior O & D line advantages that carry over game to game.   This was not a bad team.  If they were bad, some 4-5 of those 8-10 yard runs would have been 50 yard TD’s.  But we clearly beat them physically on both sides of the ball all night.  TOP is often a very misleading stat, but 45-15 is DAMN impressive.  IMO we play them 10 times we win at least 8 or 9.  Good grief guys, we have a QB that can’t throw the ball 10 yards downfield and they have the box packed and we still get 5 yards per carry.
I went on the SDSU blog and they praised the YSU team big-time--most claimed it was a beatdown and that YSU manhandled them and several even called it an a$$-whuppin--if u want to read a lot of positive things about YSU in this game just go 2 their blog--the other day it was 28pages of basically praising YSU  which I was kind of surprised they did.