Author Topic: South Dakota State  (Read 32167 times)

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: South Dakota State
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2017, 10:18:43 PM »
Great, dominating win. Controlled the ball all night and just went maybe momentum started to switch to them, the safety happened. Biggest play of the night. Wells just cannot stay healthy. Can't be counted on... We'll see what happens going forward.

Offline Petey

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2017, 11:03:59 PM »
Just curious could not watch game, but looked at defense stats and did not see anything for Reed? Did he play?

GOOO GUINS!!!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2017, 11:12:39 PM »
Just curious could not watch game, but looked at defense stats and did not see anything for Reed? Did he play?

GOOO GUINS!!!!

Yep, he played. We didn't get much pressure on the QB all night.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2017, 11:15:22 PM »
Very very impressive win. Offense and defense were both great. Only recall 1 flag against the bunnies. Had a couple of chances to tack on more point, glad that did not come back to haunt us. TOP was crazy. Wish we had taken a knee at the end of the game. Nice crowd and a lot stayed to the end of the game.
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2017, 11:15:52 PM »
17,450 announced attendance.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2017, 12:32:21 AM »
This was a night that the announced attendance was the real attendance.  :D

Sure our young skill players made some mistakes near the goal line, but I thought that Mays and McCaster were excellent overall.  How many scrambles on third and long did Mays execute to keep drives going?  How much yardage did McCaster gain after first contact? 

In order to contain SDSU, I assumed that we had to get pressure on their talented qb.  We could not touch him all night, a tribute to their o-line.  A real tribute to our linebackers and d-backs for somehow managing two probable NFL talents under those trying circumstances.  I wonder how many yards SDSU gained after the first quarter?  After their only touchdown, how many possessions did SDSU have without scoring?  Great job, guys.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2017, 12:39:52 AM »
Great win.  Wasn't expecting this.  Very pleased.  left too many points out there.  QB needs to run less so he doesn't get hurt. 

I've never seen the TOP so lopsided in my life.  We pushed them around

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
Mays running ability is what makes him good. He's not a pocket passer who's gonna sling it down field. He makes plays with his feet and needs to continue to do so. Wells just cannot stay healthy. My god one hit on the shoulder and he was done again.

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2017, 10:25:27 AM »
I'm actually suprised Wells is playing with a shoulder separation.  Depending on the degree or grade of separation,those injuries can linger.   I have one right now(long story) and could not imagine how he's playing.

Mays played a nice game last night but the Oline opened holes that kept the clock going.  Not sure we'll be able to run it like that moving forward if the passing game isn't clicking.   I think Mays can make the plays with his arm going forward which will open the ground game up more.

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2017, 11:05:01 AM »
They played like the teams of the 90's.  Run first. pass if you need to.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2017, 12:38:00 PM »
I don't know about you, but I was never comfortable the entire game. As dominating as we were on offense; we could not put them to bed. SDSU moved down the field at will in the first quarter. It took a fumble and and INT to hold them to 7. Then in the second quarter, our O line began to shift and holes started to open. We left 12-points on the field. 14-2 = 12 (the two points were from the safety). Our D played back on 1st-down and we were giving 5+ yards on every series. Then we played tight and kept it close on 3rd, but we should not have to work that hard. We cannot give up so much on 1st-down.

The SDSU QB fell apart with even the slightest pressure, but as Wick pointed out the SDSU Oline was fantastic at protecting #3. McCaster is a solid back, but Turner is our best TB and (even though I really like Rader) Kuhn needs to be the starting TE. I agree with Pengbuck, we should test Mays' arm a bit. Although he (visually) missed two seriously wide-open receivers deep & made a good run one one and we had to punt on the other. Just a nice game to watch in-person. The crowd got a good game for their money. Go Guins!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:44:26 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penquin68

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2017, 02:33:02 PM »
Great game, but it really looked like SDSU was the stronger team on offence for sure. Their passing game is strong for FCS (maybe even most of FBS) and team size was markedly bigger than we are. It has been said on this board that our uniforms make us look smaller, but I don't know.  They moved the ball at will for the most part, but turnovers really hurt them.  Thank God for Bo and company coaching the defense and special teams.  And we have a nice running game to use clock.  Our teams pre Bo would have been in deep trouble against them. Would not like to play their offence again. 

As for QB, it looks like Hunter may be questionable at best the rest of the year. Nathan Mays looks ok, but will need to pass the ball down field if we are to have a chance to be really good this year. Again Ricky Davis may be needed with Nathan Mays running and possibly getting hurt.  If that happens I hope Ricky is up to the challenge; I think he just might be after all he has been through.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2017, 05:23:54 PM »
Maybe I was at a different game. Their pass protection did impress me but yesterday their offense sure did not look like the stronger team to me. Only 3 minutes TOP in the second half and zero points, pretty weak. Over 45 minutes TOP to less then 15, I'd say that YSU's offense, at least for yesterday, looked pretty strong.

I usually am a nervous wreck until we have like a 40 point lead with 2 minutes to go. But the way our D was playing I felt comfortable from the near the end of the third on.

I feel good with Mays, tried to force a couple of passes but it all worked out. Like that he can run when needed, but I never feel good about a qb that wants to run first.

We lost some very good players on D from last year, a credit to the team that the D is playing, at least so far this year, as good as they are.

One of the better games I have been at for a while. Kudos to the players and the coaches.

“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline DavedS

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2017, 05:45:52 PM »
SDSU  definitely has a lot of talent  on offense with no doubt a few good NFL prospects---however if their offense was all that strong it would've stayed on the field a lot longer than 14 minutes in a 60 minute game--had we been able to put pressure on their qb they might've been on the field for closer to 4 minutes. 8)

Offline ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2017, 07:54:43 PM »
Three newcomers so far this season have really flashed in my opinion.

1.Bryce Gibson as a true freshmen playing cb and making plays is usually unexpected at that position this early for a frosh.

2. Justus Reed has made plays (sacks) in every game in limited minutes.   Last night he had the SDS qb by the foot  on the pick he threw.

3. Kyle Hegedus while not new but is getting his 1st real playing time has been solid at saftey.  So far a sure tackler.