Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!  (Read 126021 times)

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2017, 09:01:08 PM »
How much press did this kid receive after he enrolled at YSU? If he hadn't  walked on to the playing field, would their still be a petition to prevent him from receiving an education only? Doubt it !

Ummm...the letter accompanying the petition says they are fine with him trying to better himself as a student, but shouldn't receive the elevated status of representing the school on the football field.

Offline pen4life

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2017, 12:27:45 AM »
golly go guins dont you remember our presidents discussion with Billy Bush? It was taped. If it's an old white guy it's just locker room talk but if it's a minority, they cant ever be redeemed. He was a stupid , drunk 16 year old kid. Trump was a 50+ white millionaire a-hole and we totally exonerated him.   

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2017, 09:44:01 AM »
How much press did this kid receive after he enrolled at YSU? If he hadn't  walked on to the playing field, would their still be a petition to prevent him from receiving an education only? Doubt it !

Ummm...the letter accompanying the petition says they are fine with him trying to better himself as a student, but shouldn't receive the elevated status of representing the school on the football field.
This is complete bulls _ _ _  Football players are "student" athletes and are NO BETTER THAN ANYBODY ELSE.  As an alum. wearing YSU gear, with YSU golf bag and club covers and a ton of hats, I REPRESENT YSU ALSO.  Does anybody have any issues WHATSOEVER about how Richmond has represented YSU in his year and a half?   You have rules for admission.  If this kid meets the requirements, then he is admitted.  Full status.  We don't have different levels of students, and we don't enforce those rules randomly as some here would like.  Most of you are former YSU students.  Didn't you learn anything is school or life about fair play?  IMO you guys are patsies for the anti-YSU editiorial staff of the Vindy.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 08, 2017, 11:10:11 AM »

This is complete bulls _ _ _  Football players are "student" athletes and are NO BETTER THAN ANYBODY ELSE.  As an alum. wearing YSU gear, with YSU golf bag and club covers and a ton of hats, I REPRESENT YSU ALSO.  Does anybody have any issues WHATSOEVER about how Richmond has represented YSU in his year and a half?   You have rules for admission.  If this kid meets the requirements, then he is admitted.  Full status.  We don't have different levels of students, and we don't enforce those rules randomly as some here would like.  Most of you are former YSU students.  Didn't you learn anything is school or life about fair play?  IMO you guys are patsies for the anti-YSU editiorial staff of the Vindy.

and here I was thinking I was anti-rapist, rather than anti-YSU.  Who knew?

College campuses, college athletics, and more specifically college football has a rape culture issue.  I hope this kid can make a better life for himself---but I wish YSU's athletic department would show some better standards for who is representing the community.  The context here matters as it relates to his action and this sport, in particular.  If he were better at football, I am sure he'd be a team captain at Baylor or something.  It would have been easy to say, "you know what...we don't need a person like this on our team"----especially now that it appears that Pelini actually sought him out, rather than the other way around. 

And, this doesn't have to be "fair".  Players don't make sport teams all the time.  Your character is part of you.  I am all for second chances.  I am also all for setting a good example as an institution.  I think recognizing welcoming a gang rapist to your football team is probably in bad taste would have been a good start.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 08, 2017, 11:22:12 AM »
Boston,
If your university doesn't have "fair" as part of its DNA, then by definition, it has "unfair" as part of its culture.  I want a university that attempts to treat everyone fairly.  Not everyone makes the football team, but I want the selection process to be fair.  Not giving everybody a “participation trophy" is NOT unfair.
"Your character is part of you."  Yes it is, and I hope YSU is about to step up and demonstrate its character.
 "I am all for second chances."  Seriously?  YOU are just what I described, saying one thing and advocating just the opposite. 
Kid served his punishment.  It is NOT the roll of the Vindicator to extract their own revenge, nor should the university violate its rules to mob pressure.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 08, 2017, 12:11:27 PM »
golly go guins dont you remember our presidents discussion with Billy Bush? It was taped. If it's an old white guy it's just locker room talk but if it's a minority, they cant ever be redeemed. He was a stupid , drunk 16 year old kid. Trump was a 50+ white millionaire a-hole and we totally exonerated him.   

I was wondering when will the never-rump people going to charm in. You did not disappoint me.
Putting the emotion aside, let us look at the facts.

He is a current student at YSU. YSU has the policy for EEO and non-discrimination (see university policy below)
Youngstown State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, age, religion or veteran/military status in its programs or activities.

As a student, one can participate in university sponsored programs or events unless one violates the student code of conduct (covers both on and off campus).

To the best of my knowledge, university does not perform background check on students before allowing the students to participate in the activities and/or receiving university scholarships/financial aids. If there is one, please educate me. The participation of the activities (athletic programs, academic teams....) are based on his/her abilities/knowledge.

Having said that, therefore, on what ground should he prohibited to join the football program since he has not violated any student code of conduct at the university.

How could the university single him for punishment while others (students with past history of similar problems which we just did not know) could participate?

When faculty leads the academic team representing the university to participate in academic competitions , is he/she supposed to find out who had committed past crimes (asking this question is against the university policy!) before he/she can participate?

Would all of you who signed the petition are going to issue another petition to prohibit him to participate, for example, in the university's national mathematic competition team if he qualified?

The action has to be taken based on university rules and regulations rather than emotions. If he is kick off the football team for this, somebody will either issue another petition or file a law suit against the University for Race Discrimination because he (an African American) was singled out for exclusion. I would assume some of you people (who signed the original petition) would sign this one too.

Last time I checked, this country is still supposed to follow the law and order. In the case, it needs to be determined by the university based on their policy and not your emotions.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 08, 2017, 12:33:58 PM »
Well said, Double ET.  In our poisonous, fractured political environment, people forget that we are first and foremost a nation based upon laws.  Clearly this kid has broken no law as an adult and a university student.  The thought that mob rule could supersede the rule of law should be repugnant to all of us.  And for the third time let me state that I am not happy that Richmond decided to come here.

Offline YSU FAN#34

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 08, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2017, 01:06:38 PM »
Just last year, we had kids on the football who:

1. Exposed himself to a female student

2. Shot guns off on campus

3. Steroids

4. Weed

Not to mention our president who runs the school has his own demons as a football coach at this university and the one down in Columbus.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »
25 days

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2017, 01:51:19 PM »

He is a current student at YSU. YSU has the policy for EEO and non-discrimination (see university policy below)
Youngstown State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, age, religion or veteran/military status in its programs or activities. 

I read this three times and I don't see "previous violent criminal offenses" listed as one of the things YSU can't "discriminate" on.  If there is something illegal or against university policy for baring this kid from playing on the team, I haven't quite seen it yet.

The action has to be taken based on university rules and regulations rather than emotions. If he is kick off the football team for this, somebody will either issue another petition or file a law suit against the University for Race Discrimination because he (an African American) was singled out for exclusion. I would assume some of you people (who signed the original petition) would sign this one too.

As someone who signed the petition, I can assure you I won't be signing some other petition if he manages to get kicked off the team.  Suggesting as such is silly.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2017, 02:39:21 PM »

I read this three times and I don't see "previous violent criminal offenses" listed as one of the things YSU can't "discriminate" on.  If there is something illegal or against university policy for baring this kid from playing on the team, I haven't quite seen it yet.

As someone who signed the petition, I can assure you I won't be signing some other petition if he manages to get kicked off the team.  Suggesting as such is silly.

If you kick this kid off the team, it believe it will be discrimination, as I don't believe he has a criminal record.  He was convicted/plead guilty as a juvenile and served his time.  I assume that has been expunged from his record.  I do know his is NOT a registered sex offender based on age and current age that has expired. 
If you don’t have a policy against, then it is OK.  No policy against previous criminal records says it does NOT come into play.  You need a previously established, and regularly and evenly enforced a policy to avoid discrimination charges.   Even having the policy, if not enforced previously leaves you exposed to charges.
This subject needs dropped, this kid deserves our support for putting up with the Vindy hatchet job and hanging in trying to improve his life.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »

Comments to your first Point:

You are correct. since as you said, YSU does not have it in writing specifically for "previous violent criminal offenses", then YSU really cannot discriminate against anything. University cannot manufacture a cause to prohibit certain students whom they want to exclude from participating in university sponsored programs.
Using your logic, I did not see a statement said "university can prohibit students from activities from previous violent criminal offenses" either

Comments to your second point:

The first petition is not done in the interests of the university. It try to force the university to act on issues that are not in line (or violating) with their own policy. If and when there is second petition (for race discrimination) initiated against the university, why would you not sign it since, in your mind, the university is doing something wrong again.

Let me ask you this, do you know for sure the reasons why other people (might not be you) sign the petition? How could we even know if some of them sign it because they are bias on his race?

Offline YSUinBoston

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

You are correct. since as you said, YSU does not have it in writing specifically for "previous violent criminal offenses", then YSU really cannot discriminate against anything. University cannot manufacture a cause to prohibit certain students whom they want to exclude from participating in university sponsored programs.
Using your logic, I did not see a statement said "university can prohibit students from activities from previous violent criminal offenses" either

The first petition is not done in the interests of the university. It try to force the university to act on issues that are not in line (or violating) with their own policy. If and when there is second petition (for race discrimination) initiated against the university, why would you not sign it since, in your mind, the university is doing something wrong again.

Let me ask you this, do you know for sure the reasons why other people (might not be you) sign the petition? How could we even know if some of them sign it because they are bias on his race?

From what I can tell, EEO regulations do not prohibit an employer from using criminal background as a screener.  Of course, this rapist isn't an employee...but it doesn't seem that EEO law is what "requires" the school to "give him a chance".

As for the other 10,000 signers---I don't know why they all signed.  I think the vast majority signed it because they didn't want a gang rapist on the football team. 

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2017, 03:10:01 PM »

From what I can tell, EEO regulations do not prohibit an employer from using criminal background as a screener.  Of course, this rapist isn't an employee...but it doesn't seem that EEO law is what "requires" the school to "give him a chance".

As for the other 10,000 signers---I don't know why they all signed.  I think the vast majority signed it because they didn't want a gang rapist on the football team.

Well the coaches and 100+ players on the football team which is where he will be the most seem to think it's okay.