Author Topic: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!  (Read 126092 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: COUNTDOWN TO FOOTBALL SEASON!
« Reply #135 on: August 05, 2017, 11:17:29 PM »
How many of those 2600 people attend YSU football games?  A dozen?  Two dozen?  I really dislike defending this character, but you must look at this affair through the prism of the law.  In Ohio, juvenile records are sealed, no matter how horrific the offense.  He could have been tried as an adult, but he wasn't.  Therefore, once he enrolled as a YSU student, he was entitled to all the benefits, including participation in athletics if he is good enough.  Depriving a student from a benefit because somebody started a petition against him?  Not going to happen.  THAT WOULD BE ILLEGAL.  Of course, he might walk away on his own because of the furor this has created.  That might actually be the best resolution.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2017, 03:38:20 AM »
I didn't sign it but did consider it. I know two of the people that have signed it are my friends, and they went to a good number of games last year including spending the money with me to go to the national championship game in Frisco. Oh and they are really students too. I don't know what the total number is but if it's students like this feeling that way wick, I'm thinking it's more than a dozen just my thoughts. Also big difference between benefit and privilege. If it was a benefit it wouldn't have a sunset provision for eligibility nor would the NCAA be able to regulate participation in collegiate sports like they do. So no participation in sports is not a benefit it is a privilege. Maybe I'm in the wrong on my thinking here, and maybe I'm letting the emotional aspect cloud my normally objective logic based aspect, but again I would prefer not to see him play on the football team.

At the same time, with everything I have said above, even I'm not sure you can prevent it now. At this point, while I prefer he not be on the team, what message does it send to kick him off now? We cave to public pressure? I honestly don't know how to resolve this now. Because looking at this, even though I feel in agreement with him not playing at this point I don't think the genie could be put back in the bottle so to speak. Kicking him off the team gains us nothing now. I'm very conflicted. Which is why I haven't signed the petition.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2017, 03:42:11 AM »
27 days

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 06, 2017, 06:48:30 AM »
A student petition has been started to kick him off the football team and it has over 2600 signatures. This may get very interesting. The pressure is on Bo and JT. Do they back down or stand firm and piss off thousands of students ?
YSU is on the Semester break last week. I was on campus last week and I did not see too many students. How could they possibly get 2600 student signatures.

We didn't even have 2600 students going to the football game last season.

I wonder how many of those students who "signed" the petitions have "prefect" background.

What is next? Get a petition to boot him off campus for his past prior to attending the university while not having violated any university policies ?

I don't believe university performs background check on studens before admitting them to the university. I am all for giving students a second chance.

I don't think even the NFL would suspend players for substance violation if they have passed all the drud test but rather, for their past violations.

Based on all the known facts, admission to the university is determined by the administration and acceptance to the football team is the responsibilities of the head coach/AD.

My 2 cents worth for the day.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 06, 2017, 07:03:56 AM »
http://www.wfmj.com/story/36070305/student-starts-petition-to-remove-richmond-from-football-team Here it is..The goal is 5k and they have over 3,600 signatures..obviously not all students

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2017, 08:48:20 AM »
You can sign it online. I just don't want this to turn away the students for a game. We're losing fans over the years as it is, we don't need another situation to continue the downfall. I did not sign it myself. Although it makes me a little uneasy. When you bring up the NFL or college, yes lots of kids get second chances, but when it comes to women, not so much. Ask Ray Rice who couldn't sniff a job after what happened with him. It's a delicate situation because of the nature of his crime.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
I agree chief this is a delicate situation that is starting to spiral out of control. I think you could see less non student fans in the stands because of this. You could very well have more protesters on 5th street and in the tailgate lots then in the stands for the home opener. The media will not let up on this anytime soon. There is a board of trustees meeting on Sept 6th and another protest is being planned for that. Just curious to what other players and coaches are thinking. Bo has stressed cultural change for years and we have made great strides in that area. Opening days of camp should be filled with excitement and a time for the team and fans to reflect back on last years success and build on that for the upcoming season instead we seem to have this dark cloud hanging over the football program.This really couldn't come at a worse time just trying to make sense of it all..Still looking forward to attending as many games as possible

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2017, 02:09:09 PM »
You can sign it online. I just don't want this to turn away the students for a game. We're losing fans over the years as it is, we don't need another situation to continue the downfall. I did not sign it myself. Although it makes me a little uneasy. When you bring up the NFL or college, yes lots of kids get second chances, but when it comes to women, not so much. Ask Ray Rice who couldn't sniff a job after what happened with him. It's a delicate situation because of the nature of his crime.
I agree that this is a delicate situation.

Going back to my earlier point, Rice was not punished for what he had done in college or high school. He was punished for what he did in NFL.

I will be the first one in line to sign a petition to kick him out of YSU if he would commit any other crime.

However, this case begins to make less and less sense to me. Students and others are ok with him being admitted to the university where he could be exposed to all the female students (over 50% of the student body) whom could be his preys. However, they are not ok for him to be next to football players who are capable of taking care of themselves (not to mention that he will be closely monitored by the staff).

If the issue is with him potentially being awarded with scholarship, then, let me ask if the university performs background check on all students receiving scholarships/financial aids prior to awarding them.

Do I want this guy to marry my daughter? NO!

Do I think this guy should be given a second chance to enroll at the university and participate in the sports sponsored by the university? Why not!

I hope this young man can turn himself around (being helped by his participation in the football program).

I wish all my students to be successful in and after YSU regardless of their past issues. This is my objective or responsibility for being a faculty member. All my students understand that I am here to help them to succeed (and not to punish them).

Give the kid a second chance. Let the faculty and coaches to do their jobs to change his life around.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »
Very much agreed.

Offline guinpen

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 06, 2017, 06:53:33 PM »
So a teenager makes a dumb mistake, said teenager pays the price, said teenager wants to move on with his life. He has that right. If he screws up again I have no doubt that he will be dealt with.

I am not impressed with that number of signatures, it is a feel good thing. Doubt that there are 10 people there that would not go to a game because he is on the team. And if you would stay home then you are not a real fan anyhow. If you want to stay home then stay the h*** home.

Lets move on to something else
“Life is hard, it’s harder if you're stupid” - John Wayne

Offline Buddy

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 06, 2017, 07:09:42 PM »
My guess is that most people signing the petition have no idea of what the charges were or the outcome of the case.  just read a rapist is on campus!

I have no idea if this is their first offence of they are just A-holes but I have to have some trust in our systems here. They were tried and convicted and served time.  The way our system works is now they have a chance to become productive citizens in society.  Keep an eye on him.  If he screws up he is done.

This is our system... Like it or not.   

Offline YSUGO

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2017, 08:04:34 AM »
Sadly this starting to get out of control.  I saw a woman poster on my Facebook say that he doesn't deserve a spot on the team.  That is actually the send poster that I have who has voiced their displeasure on this.  My response to this was What about your QB that you love for the Steelers he was accused twice.  Why support that bum.  I heard "crickets".  I have come to the conclusion that social media is destroying everything.  We don't know what conditions were made other than the normal football rules that Pelini has.  The problem is it's hurting the rest of the team.  They are National runner ups and now we are treated like a rogue program. 
A Penguin for life!!!

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 07, 2017, 08:35:42 AM »
You can't just throw out Richmond because he has a "public" story.  You need rules, and then follow the rules.  Maybe we make a rule that no registered sex offenders are allowed at YSU, not staff, faculity or students?  Oh, wait, Richmond is NOT even a registered sex offender.  Maybe we should throw him out bacause he is black?  No, my guess is that won't do.  Maybe we go the Nazi way and throw him out for being unpopular?  From now on, if you can find 3600 people to sign a petition that you are unpopular, you're ass is kicked out of YSU! 
Think about this for a minute kids. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 07, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
He will not be kicked off the team. Some of the players I've talked to say they are rallying around him.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 07, 2017, 09:32:13 AM »
 A dumb mistake is shooting a gun in the air or smoking pot and costing you and opportunity to play in the playoffs.  Rape is more than a dumb mistake.  Murder may be the only crime that is worse. 

He should have a chance to get his degree and move on with his life.  But football is a different story, he blew that opportunity.