Author Topic: Slocum Retiring  (Read 12703 times)

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
Slocum Retiring
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:25:55 PM »
  Slocum is retiring, word is out.   Also, heard that Strollo wants coach with head coaching experience, that is foolish, but whatever.  Why exclude all assistants, if that is the way to go, then Jim Tressel would have never been hired.

Strollo is focused on Pat Beilein, son of the successful Michigan head coach.  The younger Beilein is at a D-2 school in New York State.   I think he would be a long shot, he can do better than YSU, much like Sean Miller did when he interviewed here years ago, and withdrew the next day.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Slocum Retiring
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 01:26:31 PM »
11 minutes ago

.@21WFMJSports  Breaking: YSU Official confirms men's basketball coach Jerry Slocum is retiring

Retiring. The search is on.....

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »
Now it starts.  The "poor me" crowd.  We don't have enough money, we don't have good enough seats, we are a football only school, this is bad, that is bad, woe is me!  I can hardly wait for football season. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline penguin4ever

• Rock Hopper Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 02:23:22 PM »
Thank you Jerry for doing the right thing.  Now it is time to find a young enthusiastic  Div 1 assistant  coach to come in here and turn things around.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »
Thank you Jerry for doing the right thing.  Now it is time to find a young enthusiastic  Div 1 assistant  coach to come in here and turn things around.
So a firebrand D2 coach with 2 20 win seasons doesn't deserve an interivew?  What is is is time for JT to appoint a search committee (with him on it) to find and hire the best person for the job.  Personally I'd love them to hire a top female assistant from a good program.  That would immediately raise the profile of YSU MBB and we need that. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
Cleveland State coach Waters announced his retirement today

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 07:00:14 PM »
 Rick McFadden - done deal.

Go Guins
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 08:35:03 PM »
Rick McFadden - done deal.

Go Guins

Like it.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 10:15:15 PM »

Don't act like Slocum did this for the sake of the team, as if he suddenly came to some realization ...kind of insulting. The man came to a bad situation, that was made worse when we moved JT to AD. He left the program in the best shape that it has ever been in my adult lifetime. The facilities are improved, the athletes are solid in the classroom and on the court; the team has awesome returning talent, with several scholarships open from the start. Any coach who studies should see this.

It will be hard to replace his courtside abilities, his ability to recruit "diamonds in the rough" and his knowledge of the competition ...but I trust the administration to get the right replacement. After validating that the HL is going to be a forever 1-bid conference (both Oakland and Valpo have acknowledged NIT bids) ...I have even less enthusiasm for MBB. On the other hand, maybe it will draw more people to the regular-season games.

Thanks for everything Jerry and you deserve your retirement.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:16:31 PM by IAA Fan »

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »
 1 AA you have been watching a different program than me the last 12 years.   First, Dan Peters did a much better job than Slocum.  One conference tournament semifinal appearance in 12 years, a 5-14 tournament record.

Where do you see 'awesome talent', this team lost 21 games, and ended the regular season a disaster.  Yes, the win over Oakland was a great one for this program, but don't let one win blind an entire seasons.

YSU was swept by Detroit!  Slocum lost 68% of his games, thats awful.  Paid attendance on some nights was less than 1000, the program is irrelevant in our community.  He made no connections with our Valley.

But for the sake of your point, if YSU does indeed have 'awesome talent' returning, then how did Slocum lose 21 games with this talent?

Just about every year his teams among the worst defensively in the conference, this year dead last, giving up somewhere around 84 points per game, that is bad coaching!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 07:39:17 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 08:13:07 AM »
1 AA you have been watching a different program than me the last 12 years.   First, Dan Peters did a much better job than Slocum.  One conference tournament semifinal appearance in 12 years, a 5-14 tournament record.

Where do you see 'awesome talent', this team lost 21 games, and ended the regular season a disaster.  Yes, the win over Oakland was a great one for this program, but don't let one win blind an entire seasons.

YSU was swept by Detroit!  Slocum lost 68% of his games, thats awful.  Paid attendance on some nights was less than 1000, the program is irrelevant in our community.  He made no connections with our Valley.

But for the sake of your point, if YSU does indeed have 'awesome talent' returning, then how did Slocum lose 21 games with this talent?

Just about every year his teams among the worst defensively in the conference, this year dead last, giving up somewhere around 84 points per game, that is bad coaching!

For the 1,000th time. I have heard it before just give up. All you want is to have your name and opinion on top of every thread. The man gave us 12-years of his life & there is nothing you or any negative people can say to change that. I thank the man fore his services and will comment on his replacement once I see whom it is. Not overly excited at this point, but that will hopefully change.

Offline ysuhoops24

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »
Gave us 12 years of his life?  It's called a job.  He was employed.  Making a living......He gave us nothing.   What did he do for me?

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »
Gave us 12 years of his life?  It's called a job.  He was employed.  Making a living......He gave us nothing.   What did he do for me?

I hope yours and my employers feel differently.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2017, 09:14:02 AM »
Time to stop the losing and get some fresh new blood in this program! A coach who is excited and passionate about leading this program!

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 10:01:50 AM »
 1 AA you know nothing about me, and I could care less where my name is on your site.  We should all be paid and get rewarded for results, not just tenure. 

You have yet to show any data or results that indicate their is any benchmark to show his 12 years was a success.  Please don't give me abstract, subjective BS; like the program is better off, and his kids graduate.  That is garbage.  What my employer wants to see is results, and if I don't produce, I will be unemployed, and that is the way it should be.  You sound like a liberal heart democrat.

His teams terrible on defense, he lost 68% of his game, 5-14 in the conference tournament.  Those are facts.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 10:03:50 AM by YSUFANSINCE1990 »