Poll

Biggest win with Jerry as HC?

2010 Toledo
2011 Butler / NCAA Runner Up
2012 George Washington
2012 Georgia
2013 Oakland / CIT First Round
2016 Akron

Author Topic: Biggest Highlight of the Slocum Era?  (Read 9184 times)

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Biggest Highlight of the Slocum Era?
« on: February 23, 2017, 09:59:39 AM »
Setting aside for a moment the absurdity of Slocum's contract renewals by our intellectually-challenged AD, fist-fights, player attrition, a barely 0.300 HL winning %, a desperate need for a new HC, and the gross misuse annually of $1.3M budgeted for MBB.....what was the highlight...or least worst moment of the Slocum era?

There were a few signs of life while Kendrick Perry and Damian Eargle were at YSU.  For me the biggest win was the 2011 win over Butler.  I was at that game, and it truly felt like a legit D1 MBB program that night. 

Safe travels Jerry.  PM me if you need a referral to any moving companies.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 10:08:44 AM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Biggest Highlight of the Slocum Era?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:12:50 PM »
Butler by far. Hope retirement and the beach treat you well Jerry. Wont miss ya.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »
Setting aside for a moment the absurdity of Slocum's contract renewals by our intellectually-challenged AD, fist-fights, player attrition, a barely 0.300 HL winning %, a desperate need for a new HC, and the gross misuse annually of $1.3M budgeted for MBB.....what was the highlight...or least worst moment of the Slocum era?

There were a few signs of life while Kendrick Perry and Damian Eargle were at YSU.  For me the biggest win was the 2011 win over Butler.  I was at that game, and it truly felt like a legit D1 MBB program that night. 

Safe travels Jerry.  PM me if you need a referral to any moving companies.
I agree. Butler was ranked at the time and they did not lose another game after that. Media reported that YSU was last team that defeated Butler before the NCAA Championship game.
I was also at that game. If I recall correctly, Howard picked up 2 quick fouls and sat out most of the 1st half. They never were able to recover.

Offline YSUFANSINCE1990

• King Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »
 Appears to be a consensus, Butler win, then Butler went on to play for the national title.

Slocum not only a disaster in wins and losses, he didn't help himself off the court.  Always appeared miserable and angry.

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 04:19:51 PM »
This kind of talk reminds me of last year when I was also sure that a change simply had to be made.  I will not breathe a sigh of relief until word about his retirement or dismissal becomes official. 

Online ucfpengbuck

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 04:45:26 PM »
On paper the obvious was beating national runner up Butler.   To me it was beating Georgia on ESPN.   National tv and an SEC team.  An we dominated(led ) the whole game.

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 05:08:59 PM »
On paper the obvious was beating national runner up Butler.   To me it was beating Georgia on ESPN.   National tv and an SEC team.  An we dominated(led ) the whole game.
Oh, yea, I forgot that game. That was Bobby Hanes freshman year. He did well on the road trip. I knew we also played George Washington and I forgot who was the third team.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 05:46:09 PM »
So Nation finally posts something of interest and he still has to pollute it with his negativism. Then a second post, which I even felt should be split out to a topic on its own.

Be a man and delete your negative first paragraph.

BTW, i think there are still more Slocum highlights to come, but for now the CIT I agree that 3-game SEC/ACC run was the top, but none of them individually beats a tournament.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »
BTW, i think there are still more Slocum highlights to come, but for now the CIT I agree that 3-game SEC/ACC run was the top, but none of them individually beats a tournament.

I do too....like his public firing.  ;)

Be a man and delete your negative first paragraph.

Dude, idk why but your sassy snark is f'n HILARIOUS!  I actually look forward to your ill-tempered responses much like how I used to look forward to the Sunday comics as a kid.

Anyway, did I misrepresent anything?  Were my comments inaccurate?  Admit you just want cheerleading, and the more incompetent the individual, the louder you cheer.  Would you just admit that?
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
I was informed that I may be banned here soon from Mother Russia.  I'm not going to cheerlead frauds or water down the truth.  Never.

"Truth is treason in an empire of lies"   - George Orwell

Peace all y'all.  Penguins Forever.

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »

Peace all y'all.  Penguins Forever.

Guy writes all this "Penguins Forever" crap and is 100% negative, 100% of the time.  Good bye and good riddance, if you ask me.  Knowing how the site manager works, it will probably just be a suspension and this jerk will be back attacking again, but I, for one, will enjoy the break!
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Penguin Nick

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 09:37:18 AM »
Penguin Nation speaks the truth, men's basketball has been an embarrassment for a very long time.   
I’m absolutely sick and tired of the men’s basketball program being the red-headed step child of the football team.  I’m passionate about YSU football, but the basketball team, and the citizens of Youngstown who have to live through this mediocrity year-after-year, are getting shortchanged.  There should not be such a disparity between Stambaugh Stadium and an outdated Beeghly Center.  I don’t buy into this notion that men’s hoops cannot be successful and believe that men’s basketball should be able to financially take care of itself (and even other sports at YSU) and be a major money-maker.  You shouldn’t have to count on the football “money games” to support men’s basketball. 

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 09:50:58 AM »
I don’t buy into this notion that men’s hoops cannot be successful and believe that men’s basketball should be able to financially take care of itself (and even other sports at YSU) and be a major money-maker.  You shouldn’t have to count on the football “money games” to support men’s basketball.
You may not "buy it" but why not, almost everybody else is in the same boat.
Quoted from CNN Money:
"Only 123 of the men's programs at Division 1 schools are profitable, and they're mostly from big money conferences. They earned $351 million combined on nearly $1 billion of revenue last year.
But the other 223 teams either broke even or lost money."

And if this is true of MBB, what about every other sport?  Sports is marketing for universities, and marketing programs cost money.  Frankly the YSU football program has been great marketing for YSU over the years. 
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 10:59:03 AM »
Nick,

To be fair, Strollo actually has used portions of the proceeds from the football money games to make improvements in Beeghly Center.  When he became the AD, the offices and the locker rooms were bad jokes.  They have been properly renovated, a video room has been added, and a weight room has been placed right inside the gym.  This year the gym floor was refurbished.  Our men and women now have DI amenities. 

Of course the seating is now very poor.  The 45 year old bleachers on the upper tier are terrible.  The 35 year old seating on the lower tier is barely acceptable.  Those deficiencies are what is most noticeable during games, but it is not accurate to suggest that Stambaugh gets everything and Beeghly gets nothing.

I voted for the Butler game.  For me nothing is even close.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 11:00:46 AM by Wick250 »

Offline ysuseasonticket

• Humboldt Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 02:41:26 PM »
Last time I watched a men's basketball game at Beeghly they still had the old scoreboard. I don't know how long they have had the new one, but as soon as Jerry is gone I'll start attending some games again. There's just no excitement in that building with only a hand full of people there.