Author Topic: What Can We Do to Improve Football Attendance?  (Read 18463 times)

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
Re: What Can We Do to Improve Football Attendance?
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2016, 09:22:17 AM »
Nation you contradict yourself. Yes it is all about the "soft fan". So what does scheduling an away MAC school (most which will defeat us) have to do with that? The soft fan is happy only when we play WVA & OSU ... they even complain about Pitt. They want to win yet.

I could not be more against the support of OSU. Nothing like telling them not to go to the YSU and just sit out in the lots and party. Not to mention the amount of money it will take to put on this event ...assuming tOSU does not want thousands of $$$ to broadcast it publicly. Unless they are local; who cares about noted OSU alum? Even then, the casual fans is going want to know why they did not choose to play at YSU. It takes knowledge (that the soft fan does not have) to realize the differences in talent. Then there is the disgusting amount of OSU gear floating around ...probably required sales of this merchandise even.

How about free tickets with the purchase of YSU gear (assume it is legal)? Why don't we just start with having the existing fans bring spouses, children, other friends and family? Enhance the kids area, invite more local restaurants. These things are affordable.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:25:52 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2016, 09:40:54 AM »
Nation you contradict yourself. Yes it is all about the "soft fan". So what does scheduling an away MAC school (most which will defeat us) have to do with that? The soft fan is happy only when we play WVA & OSU ... they even complain about Pitt. They want to win yet.

I could not be more against the support of OSU. Nothing like telling them not to go to the YSU and just sit out in the lots and party. Not to mention the amount of money it will take to put on this event ...assuming tOSU does not want thousands of $$$ to broadcast it publicly. Unless they are local; who cares about noted OSU alum? Even then, the casual fans is going want to know why they did not choose to play at YSU. It takes knowledge (that the soft fan does not have) to realize the differences in talent. Then there is the disgusting amount of OSU gear floating around ...probably required sales of this merchandise even.

How about free tickets with the purchase of YSU gear (assume it is legal)? Why don't we just start with having the existing fans bring spouses, children, other friends and family? Enhance the kids area, invite more local restaurants. These things are affordable.

Did you know YSU is ranked #3 in Sagarin in OH behind tOSU and Toledo?  Can't was beat by a MEAC school.  What is your rationale that we would be defeated by a MAC school?

It's about flipping a negative into a positive.  Make tOSU an asset rather than a liability.  Would some who attend "Ohio's greatest tailgate party" just outside of Stambaugh not attend the YSU game? Prolly some...but if 25% do...a low figure in my estimation...than that's a win.

Enhancing the kids area is a good idea.  My daughter attends FAU.  It's like a carnival atmosphere pre-game.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2016, 01:34:41 PM »
Sagarin ratings:

89  Youngstown State

Entire MAC east:
   93  Ohio                 
 112  Miami-Ohio           
 124  Akron               
 133  Bowling Green   
 140  Kent State         
 175  Buffalo 

These guys are chumps, an embarrassment to Ohio FB, and we'd smoke em.  Let's go woop 'em in front of their dozen fans and get paid.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline peteonastick

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2016, 01:57:11 PM »
Marketing!  This is the worst marketing done by any college about its athletic program.  Every bar, restaurant, grocery store, convenient store, shopping center, hospital, etc...should have YSU swag all over given by the Marketing department for free.  Poster schedules, neon lights, etc should be hanging everywhere.   Special events should be happening every week for home and away games.   There should be away game parties at every bar.  Radio station should be paid to promote and do live broadcasts from bars in the area about the games and interviews during the week.  The Bo Pelini show on Monday's at O'Charly's is jammed into a closet in the back room.  Increase the marketing department budget, get someone in there who knows how to market a sports program and get it done.  Also - win every week...that helps. 

GO GUINS - anyone making the trip to Jacksonville?
THE DRIVE FOR 5

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2016, 02:25:26 PM »
Since what I think will fix attendance won't happen,, there is nothing you can do but try to market what you have.

ValleyTalk

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2016, 05:00:25 PM »
Could beer be next at Stambaugh? I say next because beer is now being sold in Beeghly for the basketball games.

Offline YsuPride

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2016, 09:37:49 PM »
I agree marketing stink's .    YSU lost its luster and has to win fans back.  Population in our area has dropped thousands in last 20 years and we are no where near the sports town we used to be.   Having games at noon, 2pm or 4pm are dumb. Night games are better.  Win and gt out of fcs would help.  We need to go to fbs.  Tons of factors for lagging attendance

ytowngirl

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2016, 09:42:59 PM »
Could beer be next at Stambaugh? I say next because beer is now being sold in Beeghly for the basketball games.

Ohio State just started selling alcohol.  It would be a good idea but I don't think it would draw more people to the games.  Just more revenue.

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2016, 09:47:35 PM »
I agree marketing stink's .    YSU lost its luster and has to win fans back.  Population in our area has dropped thousands in last 20 years and we are no where near the sports town we used to be.   Having games at noon, 2pm or 4pm are dumb. Night games are better.  Win and gt out of fcs would help.  We need to go to fbs.  Tons of factors for lagging attendance

Won't happen for awhile.

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »
Still cannot agree Nation. The worst embarrassment of all would be to market yourself off of another school. If it even is legal, it a poor example to set. UT, BG, OU & SUNY would all ave winning records against us. Akron would be probably just above .500. Against Kent would have us just on the upside of .500, but not by much. Certainly this would change over time.

Playing at MAC schools would do zero for our attendance at home & that is what this is all about. It is the return game that draws interest and that is what we cannot have. So to heck with them. The entire conference.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:04:53 AM by IAA Fan »

Offline ysuguins4

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2016, 12:08:54 PM »
Shaming is being lazy, and will piss people off.  Consistent winning is the best draw, although with the increase over the last 20 years in entertainment options I'm not sure YSU will ever average over 16,000 again.

Offline ysubigred

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2016, 01:03:22 PM »
Shaming is being lazy, and will piss people off.  Consistent winning is the best draw, although with the increase over the last 20 years in entertainment options I'm not sure YSU will ever average over 16,000 again.

You'd be surprised what a conference change would do for attendance. The closest MVFC foe is 424 miles away (INDY ST) who has 1200 fan at a home game let alone any traveling interest. The only MVFC team that travels well is NDSU and we only see them once every two years at the IC. I like being in the toughest conference for competition but it sure kills the fan base who has an interest in watching a game where they can relate to both teams. YSU in the OVC would be AWESOME for me  ;D

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »
2015 NCAA DIVISION I FCS HOME ATTENDANCE TEAM LEADERS

Rank School G Attendance Average

1. Montana 7 168,975 24,139
2. Jacksonville St. 8 164,781 20,598
3. Yale 4 82,189 20,547
4. James Madison 7 136,483 19,498
5. Montana St. 6 115,032 19,172
6. Liberty 5 94,950 18,990
7. North Dakota St. 9 166,472 18,497
8. Southern U. 4 73,239 18,310
9. Delaware 6 94,954 15,826
10. South Carolina St. 5 78,147 15,629
11. Florida A&M 4 60,240 15,060
12. N.C. A&T 5 74,940 14,988
13. Youngstown St. 6 89,125 14,854
14. Tennessee St. 4 58,481 14,620
15. Jackson St. 5 66,258 13,252

We can get big numbers.  Jacksonville State has neighboring AL (#1 in FBS attendance) and Auburn, has a smaller population of 12K, a median household income lower than Youngstown, and has a smaller enrollment.   There's many reasons why our attendance numbers are lacking, but even in the age of streaming internet broadcasts, and cheap flat screen TVs, some FCS schools are getting big crowds in 2016.  You just need the right ppl in the drivers seat.

ytowngirl

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2016, 04:46:05 PM »

You'd be surprised what a conference change would do for attendance. The closest MVFC foe is 424 miles away (INDY ST) who has 1200 fan at a home game let alone any traveling interest. The only MVFC team that travels well is NDSU and we only see them once every two years at the IC. I like being in the toughest conference for competition but it sure kills the fan base who has an interest in watching a game where they can relate to both teams. YSU in the OVC would be AWESOME for me  ;D

I don't think any teams travel well in this conference.  Which probably kills it for college kids.  Still think changing to a more local conference or moving to the MAC would do this program good. 

Offline YSU1

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2016, 09:56:43 PM »
the fact is the older folks have not been replaced by younger ones, hence the drop in attendance