Author Topic: What Can We Do to Improve Football Attendance?  (Read 18497 times)

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: What Can We Do to Improve Football Attendance?
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2016, 10:53:33 PM »
the fact is the older folks have not been replaced by younger ones, hence the drop in attendance

I agree 100%. So that begs the question, what can we do to appeal to younger fans, especially students?

I started games and tailgating in 1990, with a pretty sizable crew. I can count on one hand the number of people who joined us after me, and still have fingers left over.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2016, 06:40:54 AM »
Check out @GoJacksFB's Tweet: https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status/803354294745321472?s=09 This could be a good start..Coach Stig getting his message out to fans and students

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2016, 10:42:21 AM »
the fact is the older folks have not been replaced by younger ones, hence the drop in attendance

I agree 100%. So that begs the question, what can we do to appeal to younger fans, especially students?

I started games and tailgating in 1990, with a pretty sizable crew. I can count on one hand the number of people who joined us after me, and still have fingers left over.

That whole appealing to the younger generation has to do with the marketing department. So wishful thinking....

Offline GOpenZ

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2016, 01:18:34 PM »
Check out @GoJacksFB's Tweet: https://twitter.com/GoJacksFB/status/803354294745321472?s=09 This could be a good start..Coach Stig getting his message out to fans and students

SDSU has the best marketing in the conference.  After logging onto their sites for research and eventually making a purchase from their online auction, I receive updates from them atleast twice a year. What they send is high quality material that makes you feel good, and you feel like reading.  They have also sent magnetic reminders for some of their events.   
I do think that since Wolford began that we have increased our presence in the media, specifically through facebook and "hype" videos.  However, there is still plenty of room for improvement, but it likely will come at a cost.

Z

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2016, 02:51:39 PM »

SDSU has the best marketing in the conference.  After logging onto their sites for research and eventually making a purchase from their online auction, I receive updates from them atleast twice a year. What they send is high quality material that makes you feel good, and you feel like reading.  They have also sent magnetic reminders for some of their events.   
I do think that since Wolford began that we have increased our presence in the media, specifically through facebook and "hype" videos.  However, there is still plenty of room for improvement, but it likely will come at a cost.

Z

I agree the hype videos have been a good addition, but who but the very committed like us every see them?  I think a TON needs to be done with marketing to grown the program's base.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

JaxSinfonian

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2016, 10:11:50 PM »
We can get big numbers.  Jacksonville State has neighboring AL (#1 in FBS attendance) and Auburn, has a smaller population of 12K, a median household income lower than Youngstown, and has a smaller enrollment.   There's many reasons why our attendance numbers are lacking, but even in the age of streaming internet broadcasts, and cheap flat screen TVs, some FCS schools are getting big crowds in 2016.  You just need the right ppl in the drivers seat.

Jacksonville is in the center of a county with a population of about 113,000, but that doesn't really harm your point. Our attendance was worse than your current average prior to 2010. We opened our expanded and much-improved stadium that year, and perhaps just as importantly defeated Ole Miss the week before the first home game. Also made a few significant improvements to the game day experience. But we didn't really get to our current level of attendance until a mediocre head coach was shown the door and a few short seasons later we got the state's attention with an oh-so-close loss to Auburn and the deepest of runs in the playoffs.

You guys should be fine, as long as Pelini & Co. do one important thing: Win. A lot. Get started on that first thing next year, OK?

Oh, and one more thing about the environment here: Yes, we suffer the same struggles with the Tide and Tigers you guys do with the Buckeyes. But nothing our athletic department does on Saturdays would give you any clue there is a game going on anywhere other than in Jacksonville. Gameday here is all about the Gamecocks (and our band). You'll see some fans in crimson and some in orange on Saturday if you make the trip, but they've become a small minority. Youngstown State football is something special, and you should treat it as such.