Author Topic: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!  (Read 186732 times)

Offline Wick250

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to 2016 FB Season!
« Reply #315 on: August 26, 2016, 09:43:18 PM »
What does somebody from UNI know about YSU football?  Next to nothing, exactly what a YSU fan knows about Northern Iowa.  At the FCS level, it is laughable how self-proclaimed experts disperse "insight" into things that they have not experienced first-hand.  The article is so filled with stereotypes and prejudice that it actually seems like the author acquired and repeated the same drivel that emanates from the hate-filled brain of a certain banned egomaniac who used to pollute this site.

Offline penguinpower

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 26, 2016, 11:22:08 PM »
What does somebody from UNI know about YSU football?  Next to nothing, exactly what a YSU fan knows about Northern Iowa.  At the FCS level, it is laughable how self-proclaimed experts disperse "insight" into things that they have not experienced first-hand.  The article is so filled with stereotypes and prejudice that it actually seems like the author acquired and repeated the same drivel that emanates from the hate-filled brain of a certain banned egomaniac who used to pollute this site.

Need to take it with a grain of salt...............it is Clenz that wrote it from AGS.   He was trying to be fair and that is good for his POV.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 11:23:16 PM by penguinpower »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 27, 2016, 08:46:49 AM »
My expectations for pre-season analysis is low.  Unless you are in the inner circle, you don't know much even as a YSU fan. For the most part I thought it was fair.  A good writer needs to be a little edgy to create interest.  The most objectionable part was:

" I have them at 7-4 and right on the playoff bubble."

7-4 is very fair and even optimistic, but a 7-4 MVFC team no way should be a bubble team.  I think seeding should be considered.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #318 on: August 27, 2016, 09:02:05 AM »
Sorry nation. Had to remove that one. At this point, guns don't kill people; Penguins do :) On the field of course.

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 27, 2016, 09:37:25 AM »
Sorry nation. Had to remove that one. At this point, guns don't kill people; Penguins do :) On the field of course.

...starting Thursday night  :D
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 27, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
I thought it was rather objective, it was a pretty decent review. Just my 2 cents. Preseason projections are just that though, projections. Time will tell if it was off base or not. Thought he gave a pretty glowing review of the defense though, and questioned the passing offense. Which is pretty much the same sentiment here is it not?

But what really matters, today the college football season comes back  8)
Also, 5 days from YSU's first game  fb

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 28, 2016, 12:06:01 AM »
4 days!!!!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 28, 2016, 07:15:56 AM »
Wells does in fact have a shoulder injury and there are fears that it could be worse then just soreness and or a pull. There is know need for Hunter to play against Duquesne..None!! If Ricky didn't need to gain experience  for the upcoming season I would just sit him as well to guard against injury and let Hosick and Mays get the job done. Great article today by Charles Grove in the paper..I like a reporter who tells it how he see's it

Offline Double ET

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 28, 2016, 09:19:16 AM »
Wells does in fact have a shoulder injury and there are fears that it could be worse then just soreness and or a pull. There is know need for Hunter to play against Duquesne..None!! If Ricky didn't need to gain experience  for the upcoming season I would just sit him as well to guard against injury and let Hosick and Mays get the job done. Great article today by Charles Grove in the paper..I like a reporter who tells it how he see's it

More info from Vindy today: Charles Grove: It's not who starts that matters, it's who finishes

Published: 8/28/16 @ 03:30

It’s no secret the Youngstown State coaching staff has been keeping a tight lid on who’s going to take the first snap Thursday against Duquesne.

As a reporter I’m supposed to be the little thorn in the coaching staff’s side, poking and prodding them with constant questions surrounding the team.

There seems to be no bigger question than who’s going to be the starting quarterback on that

opening snap but it shouldn’t be.

The question should be “Who’s going to be taking the snaps with the team down three with a minute to play?”

From seeing as many practices as I have, there’s little doubt Ricky Davis, Hunter Wells and Trent Hosick are all going to be seeing the field this year.

Bo Pelini has said his team is going to need more than one quarterback this year. So this “controversy” is going to linger long past the first game.

So until that time comes when the game is on the line, relax, have a beverage and enjoy what should be one of the best defenses YSU has fielded in a long time.

Everything with the quarterback situation makes for great online message board debate, but it’s ultimately just a filler until games are actually played. The decision is likely already to have been made so go ahead, crack open another beverage.

That being said, from what I’ve seen in practice, I’d be surprised if Davis doesn’t get the majority of snaps. He’s been getting almost all the reps with the first string recently but with Wells’ sore shoulder that appears to have been limiting his throwing strength, it’s tough to say how many of Davis’ snaps would be going to Wells if he were 100 percent.

Hosick is a real wild card. He’s a very vocal leader and between him and Davis, the offense consistently moves best with either one of them.

Hosick hasn’t had as long as Davis has had to learn the offense, and perhaps that’s his Achilles’ heel, but the coaching staff said at the beginning of camp playing time would be earned through performance and in my opinion he’s done just that.

The rest of the offense seems in place. Offensive coordinator Shane Montgomery said they’re “pretty set” on the offensive line and we know the top three tailbacks will be Jody Webb, Martin Ruiz and Tevin McCaster.

The wideouts appear to be newcomer Alvin Bailey, Darien Townsend, I’Tavious Harvin and Roberrt Byrd in slot.

There should be a clearer picture as the team goes through their final practices before Thursday, but it appears to be a moot point when a starter hasn’t been officially announced at this point. There’s little reason to officially announce the night before kickoff.

If everyone’s going to get snaps there’s no point in putting the pressure all on one kid.

The only thing bothering me about YSU’s opener is that it coincides with my alma mater’s (Cincinnati). My season tickets are going to my buddies and my beverages won’t be consumed until long after the final gun.

Charles Grove covers YSU Athletics for The Vindicator. Email him at cgrove@vindy.com

Offline mayor

• Royal Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 28, 2016, 09:04:09 PM »
If that's the case, why is he throwing with the 2's? Charles Grove reported he threw a pick a couple of days ago. I would shut him down and let him heal. We are going to need everybody this year! Go Guins!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:31 AM »
Maybe to give Ricky more reps with the 1's incase he can't go. Not to say Ricky wouldn't be the starter if Hunter didn't have a shoulder issue. I just think the staff is being pro active is all. I think we need both of them this year for the unique challenges defenses will provide in this conference

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 29, 2016, 08:47:28 AM »
I think we need both of them this year for the unique challenges defenses will provide in this conference
What does that mean?
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 29, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »
I read this blog and on one thread some guy is quoting the OC saying "Davis #1, Wells #2a and Hosick #2b, and on this tread and in the Vindy, they are quoting the HC saying we haven't designated anybody #1 but we need more than 1 QB.  Either the OC and HC disagree and the HC does not have control of his staff, or, parton my French, but one of you is full of sh**.  Not sure which it is, but wouldn't be surprised to see Ricky Thursday with Hunter's shoulder issue.
Go guins, it is know secret Monty and Bo have had different views and disagreements ever since Bo has arrived. Let's just say it's not a match made in heaven. With so much riding on this season for this program and for Bo it says alot that Monty was retained once again by Bo..Hopefully they can get on the same page because I don't believe they are!!

Offline ytownchief22

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 29, 2016, 09:50:45 AM »
Game week peeps !

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 29, 2016, 09:54:58 AM »
Hell yeah! 3 days fb

Fever, I think mayor meant if Wells was hurt with more than just a soreness or a pull in his shoulder, why give him reps and not let him rest?

Forgive me if I missed your answer in your response, but I read it a couple times and it didn't seem to address that point to me.

Like I get what you're saying about having Ricky get more reps with the 1s, but you could do that regardless with hunter injured and letting him rest?