Author Topic: 2016 Recruting  (Read 169283 times)

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Recruting
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2016, 09:24:34 AM »
You guys still remind me of the "good ol' days" in Cleveland when 1/2 the fans wanted Brady Quinn and 1/2 wanted Derek Anderson and the truth is, neither were any good. 
Davis can run better than Wells, true, but so can I. (maybe)
Wells can pass better than Davis, but so can I.  (not at all, but you get my point)
Truth is our passing QB got worse his second year as a starter, not better.  He doesn't throw very well, just better than Ricky.
2nd truth, Davis runs better than Wells, but he doesn't run well.
Hopefully Hosick plays here like he did in JC ball.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
Go Guins this is big boy football. ACCAC VS. the Missouri Valley conference NOT EVEN CLOSE. There are some exceptional athletes at various positions in the Juco ranks but groups as a whole are very weak, film does not lie. How do you think Davis or Wells would perform at a community college? They would probably tear it up 😊

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 22, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »
Nania loses his starting job at YSU and becomes one of the top D2 QBs, and leads the Rock to the D2 quarterfinals last year.  The MVFC is closer to G5 than FCS in terms of talent (actually the MVFC would be a mid-G5 conference). Lots of guys at YSU would be rock stars elsewhere.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 01:34:36 PM by Penguin Nation »
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

--WVU Head Coach Dana Holgorsen

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 22, 2016, 02:21:08 PM »
For what its worth, ysugo. while I no longer come to games, I do on occasion attend a practice here or there and do watch the games on TV, both home & away, most of the time.  I've seen enough of Wells for 2 years to be firm in my analysis. I have seen enough of the others to make the same projection. Hosick I'm limited to on film as of now.

My expectation is they will recruit another Juco QB.................. soon.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 22, 2016, 03:04:15 PM »
You could be right Paladin. Spring camp starts in 3 weeks we will know more shortly. If that were to happen it would not be through the Juco system, but more then likely a FBS transfer at a later date that got beat out in spring camp. Like I said before I'm going to give Hosick the benefit of the doubt since I've yet to see him throw live at YSU against a quality defense. He is a solid, strong, and tough kid that was a heavyweight wrestling champion in High school. Just reminds me of a bigger version of a Ryan Moore and a true power running back rather then a true passer..this could be a option for the staff as crazy as this may sound if Wells brings his A game and there are questions surrounding Ryan Moore and his knee
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 05:49:53 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline go guins

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2016, 09:25:10 AM »
Go Guins this is big boy football. ACCAC VS. the Missouri Valley conference NOT EVEN CLOSE. There are some exceptional athletes at various positions in the Juco ranks but groups as a whole are very weak, film does not lie. How do you think Davis or Wells would perform at a community college? They would probably tear it up 😊

I'm not arguing that ACCAC is equal to MVFC, but I AM arguing that ACCAC is a better gage of how a player will perform in the MVFC than a high school conference.  In Hosick's case we get JUCO film vs anybody else's high school film.  Secondly, superior performance is superior performance.  Hosick ran and passed in high school and in JUCO, he reasonably could be expected to run and pass reasonably successfully in the MVFC.  HOWEVER as I keep pointing out to Paladin, the biggest issue in a player is heart and we don't know about Hosick.  We DO know that Wells has failed to step up and perform at his best in the 4th quarter of any game he's played at YSU.  That isn't a good sign.
Watching Penquins Football & Basketball since 1967!

Offline paladin

• Emperor Penguin
  • Paladin
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2016, 01:42:56 PM »
Correct Fever.  It could be a Juco or a transfer. And , I expect the same next year .... they will go after another Juco or transfer at QB. If Hosick is injured   or doesn't work out, they are in a deep hole. They would be smart trying to plug the hole over the next two years.

Offline The YO Show

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »
YSU hasn't been more than average at QB for a while. I say that, and I liked Hess. To me, even Hess felt average. I think its more of just getting a pretty good average QB and really improving our oline and wide receivers from last year. Not trying to knock the positions, and everyone is human and will drop a pass, but they need to really improve on dropped passes from last year.

The way I see it, if we improve our defense from last year, which was already vastly improved, and the oline play improves along with the wide receivers, we have a pretty good team. You don't need a spectacular qb just one that gets the job done. I'm not saying our current qb shouldn't improve or be up for grabs, because by all means flesh it out with a competition, but I don't know why everyone always focuses on the QB as the issue with a team not winning. My god, the browns have done that for years. Sure we need to recruit the best QB we can, but we also have to improve our game and recruit players to fill the other voids we have.

Our season ending record would be completely different if you take away even a few of the drop passes in key situations from last year. So, now that we brought in Hosick and are having a qb competition for the starting job, I argue we let that run its course and accept the eventual starter. I don't think bringing in another competitor beyond what the team currently has is a great idea. Doesn't matter if we had peyton manning as our qb if our wide receivers drop so many passes.

Offline FOOTBALLFEVER

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2016, 07:14:04 PM »
First off I would like to say I think it's a great thing going out and getting Trent. This could be a really good thing for Wells and maybe just what he needs. I think that YSUGO put it best Quarterback play was not all of the problem. Both Davis and Wells put the team in a good enough situation that a 8-3 record was a possibility had some other things gone our way ( I think that's a hard point to argue ) Wells put on a clinic the first half against the Bison that other quarterbacks just don't do against a bison defense. It's hard to finish games when the ball is taking out of your hands and your trying to run clock. To constantly beat Davis and Wells into the ground is very unfair. And yes Go Guins the level of play in Juco  is better then that in High school. I never thought Wells would be able to adjust to the speed of the game and learn so quickly his first year in the MVC.Trent will be more slightly prepared then Wells was coming out of high school..but the transition period for players will vary..there are just alot of factors involved..let the competition begin even tho the majority of people on here have Trent circled in as the starter allready
« Last Edit: February 23, 2016, 07:44:40 PM by FOOTBALLFEVER »

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2016, 10:32:03 AM »
On his radio show this AM. Ricky Davis said that he could hear defenses say when he was put in that it was going to be a run play.  The defenses knew it, and played accordingly.  We knew it.  In other words, Shane telegraphed our plays to the opponent.  Ridiculous incompetence.
"These two cats that we played against from Youngstown State were as good of pass rushers as I've seen"

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
On his radio show this AM. Ricky Davis said that he could hear defenses say when he was put in that it was going to be a run play.  The defenses knew it, and played accordingly.  We knew it.  In other words, Shane telegraphed our plays to the opponent.  Ridiculous incompetence.

Don't tell 1-AA that!

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »

Don't tell 1-AA that!

Are you saying that he won't like my "Shane Sucks" t-shirts and bumper stickers?

Offline HappyPenguin

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2016, 01:18:55 PM »

Don't tell 1-AA that!

Are you saying that he won't like my "Shane Sucks" t-shirts and bumper stickers?

Not really but how much do you want for one of each?  ;D

Offline IAA Fan

• Administrator
  • Emperor Penguin
  • Bring Coke back to YSU!!
    • View Profile
    • ysupenguins.com
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2016, 04:22:46 PM »

Oh and I suppose that something that obvious escapes Montgomery ...we really need a peewee caliber coach to see such a thing. Gee did you ever stop to think that this is why his completion % was so high?

Offline Penguin Nation

• Emperor Penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2016, 04:32:56 PM »

Oh and I suppose that something that obvious escapes Montgomery ...we really need a peewee caliber coach to see such a thing. Gee did you ever stop to think that this is why his completion % was so high?

No. There wasn't any underlying brilliance. Just telegraphing plays and handcuffing your QB.

The " Shane Sucks" apparel is selling out fast. Order soon!